Czezh Republic Currency - Czech Republic v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Czezh Republic Currency

Geed

Whats best currency for taking to prague, the euro or Czech koruna?

Been reading most places use the euro instead of Czech koruna, anyone been recently to clarify?

Edited by Geed

Whats best currency for taking to prague, the euro or Czech koruna?

Been reading most places use the euro instead of Czech koruna, anyone been recently to clarify?

Local currency all the way - its a bit like saying somewhere like Marks & Spencers (apparently) accept Euro but why would you use it, when the current is pounds? Sure it'll be accepted but at a crap exchange rate and your change will be given in local currency.

We were there the weekend before Christmas - took some Koruna over and exchanged BoE Notes when over there - got about 35.5 here and 36 there, to the £

The email from hotel booking.com says need to pay in euros when get there, and some other travel sites I have went on says a lot of places not take euros. don't know anyone that's been lately so just looking for advice

The email from hotel booking.com says need to pay in euros when get there, and some other travel sites I have went on says a lot of places not take euros. don't know anyone that's been lately so just looking for advice

Booking.com do seem to give their non-Euro using EU countries that on bookings, but it will say within the fine print something like "*or in equivalent in local currency".... paying in Koruna will be no problem (as its the official currency on the country..... the Czech Republic were suppose to join the Euro a few years back before the economic crisis, but withdrew at the last minute and talked about 2015 as the year they will reconsider....which has came and went, with no firm news on them joining the Euro any time soon)

Also its just a element of lazy-ness on travel companies websites.... they will put the currency in Euros so people know what they are paying, as stick it in Koruna and you get people saying "is that a lot or is that a little?"

Edited by wanderer

Czech crowns. You get a terrible rate with Euros.

If using an ATM then go to the Raiffeisen Bank as you can select the language and choose the denominations of notes. The Czech's hate it when you try buy something cheap with a 1000 kc note, so it's best to stock up on smaller notes (200's).

For anyone that has any leftover currency from the last time, the 50 notes are no longer valid.

That happened to me last year when I booked with booking.com. took euros out at the airport and when I arrived they didn't want them and asked for local currency.

• 1 month later...
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 3:13 PM, wubbs said:

Czech crowns. You get a terrible rate with Euros.

If using an ATM then go to the Raiffeisen Bank as you can select the language and choose the denominations of notes. The Czech's hate it when you try buy something cheap with a 1000 kc note, so it's best to stock up on smaller notes (200's).

For anyone that has any leftover currency from the last time, the 50 notes are no longer valid.

Cheers wubbs. Great advice as usual.  Appreciated 

Thanks Wubbs for all the great tips and advice. We have booked taxi service through hotel, used them last time as well, and they wanted paid in American Dollars!! When I contacted them and said I could pay in either local currency or Sterling they changed this and want it paid in Euros but can pay for the room in local currency!!

15 hours ago, Tartan Queen said:

Thanks Wubbs for all the great tips and advice. We have booked taxi service through hotel, used them last time as well, and they wanted paid in American Dollars!! When I contacted them and said I could pay in either local currency or Sterling they changed this and want it paid in Euros but can pay for the room in local currency!!

I'd cancel it and arrange another company. There are usually only two reasons for a company to quote a price in another currency; convenience for the tourist or to charge a higher rate. Everywhere in the country uses Czech crowns, apart from several places in central Prague which offer lousy rates.

7 hours ago, wubbs said:

I'd cancel it and arrange another company. There are usually only two reasons for a company to quote a price in another currency; convenience for the tourist or to charge a higher rate. Everywhere in the country uses Czech crowns, apart from several places in central Prague which offer lousy rates.

It's all booked now and I still have some euros left so don't need to cash any money to get them. Can't believe I've still got euros left from Dublin!!! Will keep this in mind if we ever go back there though. Thanks again everybody for all the tips. You would think I would know better!!

for taxi service i would suggest.

UBER now operates here in Prague.

for more reputable taxis: Speedcars, Sedop, AAA, TickTock or Umbrella.

Edited by scott7 0

1 hour ago, jock strap said:

I'm confused ( no great shock ) !

I've been to Prague 5 times and cannot remember the currency ! I was positive it was Euros ?

off to the travel agents again I think for some local currency ! 

See you there matey xxx

Just now, Tartan Queen said:

I know starting to get like that myself! We are taking the kids with us and they are just so hyper now lol xxx

?

tell them to save the pocket money up, they can get a round in ! ??

3 hours ago, jock strap said:

?

tell them to save the pocket money up, they can get a round in ! ??

We've been putting money away for them. They are coming over tomorrow night to open this as we don't have a clue how much is in their tins. Was asked by Sonny if he had to buy his own meals off this!!! No chance of them spending their money when they can spend ours lol xx