Oscars Race Card Fiasco - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oscars Race Card Fiasco

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mox said:

If the hispanic community, asian community or any other minority raised the same concerns regarding nominations as the african american community did this year, I expect that you and others like you would belittle and dismiss it just as you have done with the african american community.

I'm not belittling anything.

its just bizarre that in the search for equality certain sections of society seem to focus on one particular minority.

The fact this whole thing was sirred up by Jada Pinket Smith because Will didn't get the nod just makes it more ridiculous.

You say that if it was the Hispanic or Asian community we would be just as dismissive. If there really is a racial issue with the Academy why are the Hispanic community not also protesting?

6 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

If that makes me racist then so be it

It will in the eyes of a certain few on here. It's the easiest word to label someone with it seems if you have a different opinion. Especially given that you may experience the ongoing issues with race in America daily. But then I'm learning to understand that it's far better to see everything from the comfort of a living room in Scotland. :rolleyes:

As Sowell says "The assumption seems to be that different groups would be proportionally represented if somebody were not doing somebody else wrong"

Which is the axiom that underpins the theory that racism is the problem.

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Correct. They sing and dance about equality but harp on about being black

If you want treated equally then you have to take the rough with the smooth 

Aye Ormond that's about as racist as it gets.

I count at least three instances of downright racism and two forms of casual racism.

TBH we're only a ragheid and going for a chinky away from burning crosses on the front lawn of the Tamb here.

i wouldn't expect anything less on here considering the amount of backward small town teuchtars and English who support Scotland.

20 minutes ago, TartanJon said:

Aye Ormond that's about as racist as it gets.

I count at least three instances of downright racism and two forms of casual racism.

TBH we're only a ragheid and going for a chinky away from burning crosses on the front lawn of the Tamb here.

i wouldn't expect anything less on here considering the amount of backward small town teuchtars and English who support Scotland.

What a pile of pish. :blink:

11 hours ago, TartanJon said:

Marlee Martin won Best Actress for Children of a Lesser God in 1986 (also the youngest)

Can anybody point out any roles that a disabled,Hispanic or Asian actor played this year that would have been worthy of an Oscar nomination ?

Or can we be honest here and say the real reason you are all throwing out "what about the disabled or the Hispanics ?" is because you have a deep rooted hatred for darkies.

You're in good company though because I've always found the Tamb pretty racist

No my point is that the black community in general see slights and racism at every turn and go on to make a big song and dance about it but yet will dismiss the concerns of hespanic, asian, disabled etc. They think they are the only people oppressed and that everyone else has done them a bad turn. 

7 hours ago, hunchy said:

No my point is that the black community in general see slights and racism at every turn and go on to make a big song and dance about it but yet will dismiss the concerns of hespanic, asian, disabled etc. They think they are the only people oppressed and that everyone else has done them a bad turn. 

Black people are notorious for dismissing the concerns of the disabled. It's part of their culture.

13 hours ago, Ormond said:

It will in the eyes of a certain few on here. It's the easiest word to label someone with it seems if you have a different opinion. Especially given that you may experience the ongoing issues with race in America daily. But then I'm learning to understand that it's far better to see everything from the comfort of a living room in Scotland. :rolleyes:

Your comments about Turks in another thread are massively xenophobic. So together with many other comments i've seen you make on the TAMB, it doesn't create the best picture of you, IMO. 

31 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Your comments about Turks in another thread are massively xenophobic. So together with many other comments i've seen you make on the TAMB, it doesn't create the best picture of you, IMO. 

Kind of like Scunnered and Croatians? 

29 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Kind of like Scunnered and Croatians? 

Quite possibly. I'd always assumed Scunnered's comments were in jest but i can certainly see why the comments i've seen would give some folk a negative impression of him. 

I've no idea what that has to do with your comments though. 

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Quite possibly. I'd always assumed Scunnered's comments were in jest but i can certainly see why the comments i've seen would give some folk a negative impression of him. 

I'm sure you don't.

They were kind of in jest, but mainly down to his dislike of one in particular.

I'm a honky that's never had to face any prejudice in my life so I couldn't even comment on the struggles the black community have had to endure all their lives.

Using words like THEY & THEM to describe a black person or bssically telling the black community to stop complaining about racism and just get on with it because I'm tired listening to you is wrong on so many levels.

Maybe its time folk saw by skin colour and started listening 

2 hours ago, TartanJon said:

I'm a honky that's never had to face any prejudice in my life so I couldn't even comment on the struggles the black community have had to endure all their lives.

Using words like THEY & THEM to describe a black person or bssically telling the black community to stop complaining about racism and just get on with it because I'm tired listening to you is wrong on so many levels.

Maybe its time folk saw by skin colour and started listening 

We have just come out of "Black History Month" in America where the tv is saturated with black only shows. I can't wait for that great tv series over here to start again. You know, the one called Blackish. Those funny jokes about shit that only white men do are hilarious also. Maybe when I come back to the UK I might get a ticket for the MOBOS if I'm lucky. 

Yes, you're probably correct about those 'They' and 'Them' terms creating divisions right enough. 

14 hours ago, hunchy said:

TBF in Americia (and previously in the British Empire) they were the only race that were actually enslaved.

Think about that. Being owned by another group of people the key decider being the colour of your skin.

Thats a lot of bad blood and it is nowhere near righting itself in the States. I would be pissed off too.

Think about it; 150 years ago, there was slavery in America. 100 years ago, my great grandfather was alive, so 150 years ago my great, great grandfather was around while across the Atlantic men, women and children were owned like cattle. Those wounds and prejudice still haven't been healed as there is almost a collective memory back to slavery.

J

On 1 March 2016 at 7:42 AM, TartanJon said:
23 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

TBF in Americia (and previously in the British Empire) they were the only race that were actually enslaved.

Think about that. Being owned by another group of people the key decider being the colour of your skin.

Thats a lot of bad blood and it is nowhere near righting itself in the States. I would be pissed off too.

Think about it; 150 years ago, there was slavery in America. 100 years ago, my great grandfather was alive, so 150 years ago my great, great grandfather was around while across the Atlantic men, women and children were owned like cattle. Those wounds and prejudice still haven't been healed as there is almost a collective memory back to slavery.

J

Don't be providing a reasoned argument as to why the black community still feel marginalised in America. 'They' should stop whining and take 'the rough with the smooth' according to some of tambs right wing fantasists on here.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

We have just come out of "Black History Month" in America where the tv is saturated with black only shows. I can't wait for that great tv series over here to start again. You know, the one called Blackish. Those funny jokes about shit that only white men do are hilarious also. Maybe when I come back to the UK I might get a ticket for the MOBOS if I'm lucky. 

Yes, you're probably correct about those 'They' and 'Them' terms creating divisions right enough. 

Wow. You mean TV shows and a music ceremony? I've no idea why many in the African American community in the USA still feel discriminated against. I guess the high inequalities in many walks of life (health, employment, poverty, etc) don't really amount to much when there is "Black History Month" on the TV and a music award show!

Wow. You mean TV shows and a music ceremony? I've no idea why many in the African American community in the USA still feel discriminated against. I guess the high inequalities in many walks of life (health, employment, poverty, etc) don't really amount to much when there is "Black History Month" on the TV and a music award show!

With all due respect you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. But then you do usually need your daily argument with someone on here.

One of the funniest comments i've ever read was on youtube, this 14 minute video of these folk marrying two basset hounds together, and the only comment is "white people".

Not sure what it adds to the debate but it amused me.

This is also exposing the TAMB for the first time to my secret love of Basset Hounds.