Skipinnish,gaelic And West Coast Bands - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Skipinnish,gaelic And West Coast Bands

Vatarsey boys for me! Unbelievably excellent music. Julie Fowlis is a total doll as well and apart from being sickeningly talented (she can play a load of instruments) her Puirt is spot on. she was in a band called dochas before going on her own and theyre pretty special too. anyone hear Trail West, seen them live but havent bought their cd yet.

vatersay boys are indeed quite excellent. Also seen skerryvore and man ran who I liked. Skippinich also good.

:lol:

They're probably one of the most political bands to come out of Scotland. A million love songs they are not.

Listen to The Cutter and The Clan album. Loch Lomond is probably one of my least favourite Runrig (cover) songs, and in some ways became a bit of a millstone for them.

I don't know if your on the wind up or not ......

But "a Wummin's band" Runrig certainly are not.

Songs of protest against the industrial decay of Scotland, nuclear weapons, nuclear energy, Scots being used as imperial cannon fodder, the legacy of the Highland Clearances, facing the choice between success but having to betray your culture and heritage are not what a "wummin's band" would thrive on.

As Flora MaDonald says, they are quite political, especially their work from the eighties.

Ha Ha. In fairness lads, I was at the wind up a wee bit (that said on that live version of LL when you hear the crowd singing back it's all wummins' voices ye can here :-)) ).

I'm a big fan of Scottish folk music, but I've never much cared for the more "rocked up" type of folk which I guess I've always (perhaps incorrectly) perceived Runrig to be. I like my folk to be acoustic.

I'll give those albums a listen though. :ok:

Going to see Skippnish on the 30th at the concert hall as part of Celtic Connections, heard they are pretty decent live

seen Robert robertson live without the rest of the band really gid so can only presume with the rest of the band will be brilliant

Going to see Skippnish on the 30th at the concert hall as part of Celtic Connections, heard they are pretty decent live

Going too. :ok: Saw them in the Park Bar the night they showed on the recent documentary and what a fantastic night it was.

Whats the history with skipinnish? Have they been on the go a while or recently formed?

They have been on the go since the 90's but think Robert Robertson has raised their profile. I am no expert as I have only just become aware of them too,

Aye Skipinnish have been on the go for a good number of years, but it was basically just Andrew Stevenson (pipes) from Lochaber and Angus MacPhail (accordion) from Tiree. I've got a few of their CD's from that era, very traditional pipe tunes, and Gaelic music, which being a box player myself, was my scene.

I think it was about 3 years ago they added Robert Robertson (vocals)to the band along with another couple. Whilst I've always been very fond of the band, the addition of the multi talented Mod gold medalist Robertson has given them a much wider appeal.

They've played Dunoon on a few occasions, playing in ceilidh tents. They generate a fantastic atmosphere.

I was in the Park Bar a couple of months ago and Robert was playing accordion in a wee 3 piece band, I didn't even know the boy played the box and yet he was brilliant, A real talent.

They are a real west coast ceilidh band, practically everyone from around here loves them (Cowal area), but I've noticed that if I mention them to folk outwith the Highlands they're generally unknown

I don't know if your on the wind up or not ......

But "a Wummin's band" Runrig certainly are not.

Songs of protest against the industrial decay of Scotland, nuclear weapons, nuclear energy, Scots being used as imperial cannon fodder, the legacy of the Highland Clearances, facing the choice between success but having to betray your culture and heritage are not what a "wummin's band" would thrive on.

As Flora MaDonald says, they are quite political, especially their work from the eighties.

But fronted by a unionist for many years unfortunately

But fronted by a unionist for many years unfortunately

That is how shall we say ............ unfortunate :-))

But on the other hand, their former keyboard player has been an SNP MP since 2001 and Calum MacDonald spoke in favour of Scottish independence during the referendum :ok:

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Just listened to the whole new album on Spotify there.

If I'm honest I thought it was a bit of a mixed bag and was slightly disappointed.

I did enjoy listening to "The Story", "Onar", "The Years We Shared", "An-Duigh Ghabh Mi Cuiart" and the very last track "Somewhere" which was a lovely song to end their recording days with.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Certainly wasn't disappointed, first time seeing them and really enjoyed it, listened to most of the older stuff before and they sound even better live, played a few new songs which were really good as well, one about the WW1 ship sinking with troops returning after the war was over was haunting, think it's called Iolaire

Support were excellent as well, would certainly recommend them for a listen, just a pity I haven't got tickets for them in Campbeltown next week