Skipinnish,gaelic And West Coast Bands - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Skipinnish,gaelic And West Coast Bands

I have always loved run rigs music and lately i have started listening to skipinnish, they have a few cracking tunes and have the potential to take run rigs place if they call it a day, i have also started listening to julie fowlis and again she has some brilliant songs, are there any other bands/song writers of this mold that are going about as i stumbled across skipinnish accidentally while going through youtube... I seem to be liking more traditional music as i get older

Are Runrig no' a bit of a wummins band? A bit tame and cuddly?

A heelin' Take That if ye will?

That's always been my perception but then again the only thing I've ever heard of theirs is that live version of Loch Lomond they play at Hampden.

That's always been my perception but then again the only thing I've ever heard of theirs is that live version of Loch Lomond they play at Hampden.

:lol:

They're probably one of the most political bands to come out of Scotland. A million love songs they are not.

Vatarsey boys for me! Unbelievably excellent music. Julie Fowlis is a total doll as well and apart from being sickeningly talented (she can play a load of instruments) her Puirt is spot on. she was in a band called dochas before going on her own and theyre pretty special too. anyone hear Trail West, seen them live but havent bought their cd yet.

Listen to The Cutter and The Clan album. Loch Lomond is probably one of my least favourite Runrig (cover) songs, and in some ways became a bit of a millstone for them.

Edited by jailender

I don't know if your on the wind up or not ......

But "a Wummin's band" Runrig certainly are not.

Songs of protest against the industrial decay of Scotland, nuclear weapons, nuclear energy, Scots being used as imperial cannon fodder, the legacy of the Highland Clearances, facing the choice between success but having to betray your culture and heritage are not what a "wummin's band" would thrive on.

As Flora MaDonald says, they are quite political, especially their work from the eighties.