Top Posters In This Topic

Teams are out

Scotland

Dickinson, Ford, Nel, Gray, Gray, Denton, Barclay, Hardie

Laidlaw, Russell, Seymour, Scott, Bennett, Maitland, Hogg

England

Marler, Hartley, Cole, Launchbury, Kruis, Robshaw, Vunipola, Haskell

Care, Ford, Nowell, Farrell, Joseph, Watson, Brown

Okay so I am coming through to Glasgow on Sat with some rugby supporting pals from Edinburgh who are keen to see the game(s)

Can anybody recommend a good pub Glasgow for rugby? :unsure:

Yes. The Lansdowne in Lansdowne Crescent, off Great Western Rd. Failing that, Munros on Great Western Rd itself.

Both great bars and always taken over by posh c*nts whenever the eggby is on.

Never sure about Denton, although he did have a decent World Cup. Other than that, pretty happy with team and especially to see Bennett and Hardie playing.

He's not been setting the heather alight here in Bath. Seems to get smashed as soon as he gets the ball, not much crash ball. Had a howler giving the ball away to Habana v Tulon the other week. I'm sure he will come good. J

Teams are out

Scotland

England

I think that's the best team we could have selected... England look good too... It'll be a tough game, but no reason why we shouldn't win this.

Well up for this one!

Teams are out

Scotland

England

Going to this one few points in it either way I think happy with the team selection.

Line outs will be crucial as always. I'm always a wee bit worried about Ross Fords throw ins.

He's been a lot better lately, so hopefully that continues... We also have the better jumpers, so hopefully we'll be stealing more of their ball than they are ours.

Edited by COLT NY

I freely admit I'm a natural pessimist when it comes to the Scotland national side (comes from following them for over 40 years), but even so I cant really see many grounds for optimism tomorrow. We had a decent WC, finally seem to have a front five that can handle itself at this level, and the balance in the back row looks better with Barclay back. There are tries in the back-line too, although the form of a few of them hasn't really been the best in the past few months. I worry about our bench strength too. If Cotter does go for wholesale changes around the 60-70 minute mark I think we'll struggle. England have a lot of quality players, but with a new coach and quite a few changes it is hard to know what to expect. I'd predict England to win by 10 points or so, very much hope I'm wrong.

I find the Denton debate interesting. I thought he was outstanding in the WC, one of our better performers, always making it over the gain line. At a party recently I was talking to a former Scotland international and Lion of not that long ago (his wife is a friend of my wife) and he was strongly of the opinion that he wouldn't have Denton anywhere near his team, certainly not at No.8 - totally one dimensional, crash ball, lacking in the basic handling skills and any game awareness or vision. I was taken aback at his comments really. Now I see hear that Denton is struggling at Bath, and another friend, who regularly watches them, says Denton is viewed similarly there, the phrase one dimensional is used, and he is seen as easy to read and defend against.

He's been a lot better lately, so hopefully that continues... We also have the better jumpers, so hopefully we'll be stealing more of their ball than they are ours.

We also have a good target in the back row in Denton, whose lineout work is excellent. England don't have a third option (okay, Robshaw, but he's on a par with Barclay for lineout jumping). That means we should be able to put pressure on them.

I freely admit I'm a natural pessimist when it comes to the Scotland national side (comes from following them for over 40 years), but even so I cant really see many grounds for optimism tomorrow. We had a decent WC, finally seem to have a front five that can handle itself at this level, and the balance in the back row looks better with Barclay back. There are tries in the back-line too, although the form of a few of them hasn't really been the best in the past few months. I worry about our bench strength too. If Cotter does go for wholesale changes around the 60-70 minute mark I think we'll struggle. England have a lot of quality players, but with a new coach and quite a few changes it is hard to know what to expect. I'd predict England to win by 10 points or so, very much hope I'm wrong.

I find the Denton debate interesting. I thought he was outstanding in the WC, one of our better performers, always making it over the gain line. At a party recently I was talking to a former Scotland international and Lion of not that long ago (his wife is a friend of my wife) and he was strongly of the opinion that he wouldn't have Denton anywhere near his team, certainly not at No.8 - totally one dimensional, crash ball, lacking in the basic handling skills and any game awareness or vision. I was taken aback at his comments really. Now I see hear that Denton is struggling at Bath, and another friend, who regularly watches them, says Denton is viewed similarly there, the phrase one dimensional is used, and he is seen as easy to read and defend against.

Most people I know who go to Edinburgh games have always thought he'd be better at 6. I think judging how he's playing at Bath is a bit harsh - he's gone to a team without having a preseason and is trying to learn systems and calls on the fly. And there are plenty of former Lions who spout a load of complete bollocks regularly - particularly the ones who played as amateurs.

Edited by biffer

I wouldn't disagree re many ex players (this guy had the chance to turn pro right at the start of the professional era, but turned it down as he was already into his thirties and had a good career outside the game) but personally I would respect his opinions, while not necessarily agreeing with them. He knows far more about top level rugby than you, me and everyone on this board combined and he's not one of the rent-a-quote mob. I have heard similar comments, though not nearly so strongly expressed, from other folk in the game. All that said, I was genuinely taken aback at his comments, and think they were a bit over the top - we had both had a few to be honest.

I wouldn't disagree re many ex players (this guy had the chance to turn pro right at the start of the professional era, but turned it down as he was already into his thirties and had a good career outside the game) but personally I would respect his opinions, while not necessarily agreeing with them. He knows far more about top level rugby than you, me and everyone on this board combined and he's not one of the rent-a-quote mob. I have heard similar comments, though not nearly so strongly expressed, from other folk in the game. All that said, I was genuinely taken aback at his comments, and think they were a bit over the top - we had both had a few to be honest.

Aye, he's probably got a lot of insight that you and I don't have, so no worries there. I have my reservations about Denton, but the key question is can you do it when it matters, and he did during the World Cup, so let's see if he can carry it on through the 6N. Here's hoping.

P.S. given your description, I have a very short list of names of who it might be ;-)

I shall be watching today's game in the Rhoderick Dhu next to Central Station (watched a couple of the RWC games in there and it was good) so if anyone wants to come and buy me a beer, wire in!

Going to the football at lunchtime and into town for the rugby afterwards = either a brilliant day or an extremely depressing one...