Is Donald Trump's Campaign A Spoof? - Page 188 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is Donald Trump's Campaign A Spoof?

I see a congresswoman, Mary Miller, thanked Trump at his rally "President Trump… I want to thank you for the historic victory for white life" after Roe vs Wade.

Then read that her campaign she had mis-read it and meant right to life.

She did also quote Hitler in a speech after she was elected though. So all very surreal.  I see on her wiki page she had a child predator assisting her re-election campaign. Some wild shit.

Mods can we change the name of the thread to the 'Joe Biden Free Pass Thread'? 😀

Found this which gives an explanation... seems balanced.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-supreme-courts-argument-for-overturning-roe-v-wade/

What the ruling said

At its heart, Roe v. Wade was about how much states could restrict abortion. In that ruling, states were prohibited from banning abortion in the first trimester of pregnancy and their ability to regulate abortion was limited during the second trimester. That structure changed with Planned Parenthood v. Casey, a Supreme Court case decided in 1992, which replaced the trimester framework with a single dividing line: fetal viability. Even with that change, Americans had a constitutional right to abortion up to a certain point in pregnancy for almost 50 years. 

In his majority opinion, Justice Samuel Alito, a Republican appointee, explained that this right simply never existed. “Abortion presents a profound moral question,” he wrote. “The Constitution does not prohibit the citizens of each State from regulating or prohibiting abortion.” Roe, he wrote, wasn’t simply wrong — it was so wrong as to amount to an “abuse of judicial authority.”

This week’s ruling — officially known as Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health — relied heavily on a historical view of abortion rights. Alito argued that approach is crucial for understanding why abortion couldn’t be constitutionally protected. “Until the latter part of the 20th century, such a right was entirely unknown in American law,” he wrote. “Indeed, when the Fourteenth Amendment was adopted, three quarters of the States made abortion a crime at all stages of pregnancy.” Some historians have argued that Alito’s view of this history — which was also laid out in a draft opinion that leaked in early May — isn’t complete. But it’s worth emphasizing because another major opinion released yesterday, overturning a concealed-carry law in New York, also relies heavily on history.

Alito acknowledged that a major precedent was being overturned, but he argued that it had to be done because the justices who decided Casey actually made a mistake by relying too heavily on precedent. The court is not required to uphold a previous ruling simply because it’s already on the books, he wrote. In fact, “the Constitution and the rule of law demand” that the question of abortion be returned to the states.

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

Men telling women what they can and cannot do with their bodies is never a good look.

I have no idea how constitutional law works in the USA or indeed really how law arguments work, I've never passed a single exam to test my knowledge of law anywhere.

However skimming through the judgement I saw Thomas cited himself over and over as proof of the validity of his decision.

The "cause i said so" line of logic is unfortunately not a valid line of reasoning when i'm being assessed. Would certainly make life easier.

We'll see how everything moves in connection with the ruling in the time to come. Always hard to make accurate predictions especially about the future as the Danish proverb says.

52 minutes ago, phart said:

I have no idea how constitutional law works in the USA or indeed really how law arguments work, I've never passed a single exam to test my knowledge of law anywhere.

However skimming through the judgement I saw Thomas cited himself over and over as proof of the validity of his decision.

The "cause i said so" line of logic is unfortunately not a valid line of reasoning when i'm being assessed. Would certainly make life easier.

We'll see how everything moves in connection with the ruling in the time to come. Always hard to make accurate predictions especially about the future as the Danish proverb says.

Some interesting - and potentially damaging - stuff coming out of the January 6th congressional inquiry which is drawing a line from Trump->Ginny Thomas->Clarence Thomas as part of the conspiracy.

Edited by aaid

14 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Is America becoming, or trying to be, the most backward country on the planet ?

Yes this applies to Trump as the abolition of Roe vs Wade wouldnt have been possible without him loading the supreme court with right wing white christian fundamentalists

This is after them ruling that citizens have the right to carry a gun outside the home

Cant see Clinton or Biden doing that

The right to death in a mass shooting is obviously more important to republicans than the right of a seriously ill pregnant women or an unborn child with little hope of surviving birth, what a screwed up argument the right to bear arms over the right to medically terminate for health reasons is.

I love how it seamlessly moves on to Jan 6 (another pile of utter shite) without any acknowledgement of the mountains of shite spouted on here about Russia collusion. 

Years and years of that Russia pishola and all shown to be total made-up crap.

Biden's presidency is a binfire and he never gets a mention. Hunter Biden's laptop... man alive... yet not a mention. It is hilarious.  Fucking shameless. 😀

Good old Trump he is the gift that keeps on giving. 

The question is whether the state should be able to use force to stop people having abortions.

On that question it just seems to be certain Christian groups in America that believe in the absolute position that it should.

Oh and John Mason of the SNP of course.

1 hour ago, phart said:

Oh and John Mason of the SNP of course.

TBF to John Mason, he has always been a fucking mentalist, this isn't a surprise.

Also, as much as I absolutely disagree with his stance, its not a terrible thing for him to believe in, and to want to champion. Ive seen some absolute utter pish on twitter today about him, random people saying they will never vote SNP again until he is removed, and thats just pathetic nonsense. One person out of hundreds of elected officials really isn't worth worrying about.

16 minutes ago, kumnio said:

TBF to John Mason, he has always been a fucking mentalist, this isn't a surprise.

Also, as much as I absolutely disagree with his stance, its not a terrible thing for him to believe in, and to want to champion. Ive seen some absolute utter pish on twitter today about him, random people saying they will never vote SNP again until he is removed, and thats just pathetic nonsense. One person out of hundreds of elected officials really isn't worth worrying about.

Kate Forbes as well.

Edited by phart

Trump tried to grab the steering wheel when the secret service wouldn’t take him to the Capitol, then physically attacked the person who tried to stop him. He wanted to charge the capitol with his armed mob — including people with AR-15s

😄

12 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Trump tried to grab the steering wheel when the secret service wouldn’t take him to the Capitol, then physically attacked the person who tried to stop him. He wanted to charge the capitol with his armed mob — including people with AR-15s

😄

The big spoilt baby flung his tea against the wall too.

• 3 weeks later...

.Ameri-coup: A brief history of US misdeeds | Opinions | Al Jazeera..

In a recent interview with CNN about the congressional investigation into the matter, longtime US diplomat and former Trump national security adviser John Bolton – whose moustache “Trump never liked”, as the Associated Press reported – declared it a “mistake” to see the insurrection as a “carefully planned coup d’état”. In short, according to Bolton, Trump was simply too incompetent to pull off something of that magnitude: “As somebody who has helped plan coups d’état – not here, but, you know, other places – it takes a lot of work.”

Of course, US involvement in foreign coups is not exactly a news flash, and plenty has been written on the subject. See, for starters, former New York Times bureau chief Stephen Kinzer’s book Overthrow: America’s Century of Regime Change from Hawaii to Iraq – or the Washington Post’s finding in 2016 that “the US tried to change other countries’ governments 72 times during the Cold War”.

But the nonchalance with which Bolton delivered his admission just serves to underscore the United States’ rather casual approach to upending nations and wrecking lives en masse. This institutionalised lack of empathy is, to be sure, also on display in regular international episodes of sustained US military slaughter.....

• 2 months later...

😀 What has Sandy Hook got to do with a thread on Donald Trump. You had a perfectly good News Thread to post this on. Why pick this one. 

Still no comment on Hunter Bidens laptop I see or maybe starting a 'Joe Biden is a fucking arsehole who is going to torch the world' thread. Instead pulling this up to post Alex Jones 'news'... dearie me. That is partisans for you.

One thing that came out of the court case is that Alex Jones is currently worth 270 million dollars and that is after a very expensive divorce and being deplatformed to death. He was absolutely minting it at one point before he got banned. Making hundreds of thousands of dollars a day apparently at his peak. He might be a clown but he is not daft. Fucked himself a bit with Sandy Hook but let's see what it actually costs him in the end. He can obviously afford very good lawyers.

Again fuck knows what any of this has to do with a guy who used to be President of America. 😀

Edited by thplinth

Yes we all must have missed them 'embracing'.  Let's see it then. 😀 No cop-outs please.

embracing: to hold someone tightly with both arms to express love, liking, or sympathy, or when greeting or leaving someone: e.g.

9619402.jpg?type=mds-article-962

(If Sturgeon was not such a midget they would be literally cheek to cheek. Incredible.)