Is Donald Trump's Campaign A Spoof? - Page 151 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is Donald Trump's Campaign A Spoof?

The US system is absolutely fucked and despite race laws  in the 60’s the gap in earnings isn’t really closing.  Median income of whites is $70k; black $40k; Latino $50k and Asian $80k. 

The African American population is 13% but account for 40% of prison inmates.  Latino is 16% but only 19% of prison population.  They have 11% of Ivy league places which is  only slightly below but were 6% unemployed compared to Latino 4.5% and 3.4% white for 2019.  Before medi-care 20% had no insurance now reduced to 11% in comparison to 5% whites. 

https://www.publicsource.org/pittsburghs-black-residents-feel-consequences-of-inequality-more-starkly-than-in-other-u-s-cities-new-city-report-finds/

The above was a report from Pittsburgh has black women as likely to die in child birth as is likely in the third world.  It also flags up institutionalised racism where despite fairly easy access to education black workers are primarily in maintenance and not getting access to construction jobs. 

Asking black folk to fix their society is like my builder fucking up the foundations then sneering at me to fix it when my roof pisses in. 

What is worrying is the Police letting the white militia mingle through their lines 

WTF is that all about ?

Can you image if it was a black fella with a high powered weapon ?

18 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

The US system is absolutely fucked and despite race laws  in the 60’s the gap in earnings isn’t really closing.  Median income of whites is $70k; black $40k; Latino $50k and Asian $80k. 

The African American population is 13% but account for 40% of prison inmates.  Latino is 16% but only 19% of prison population.  They have 11% of Ivy league places which is  only slightly below but were 6% unemployed compared to Latino 4.5% and 3.4% white for 2019.  Before medi-care 20% had no insurance now reduced to 11% in comparison to 5% whites. 

https://www.publicsource.org/pittsburghs-black-residents-feel-consequences-of-inequality-more-starkly-than-in-other-u-s-cities-new-city-report-finds/

The above was a report from Pittsburgh has black women as likely to die in child birth as is likely in the third world.  It also flags up institutionalised racism where despite fairly easy access to education black workers are primarily in maintenance and not getting access to construction jobs. 

Asking black folk to fix their society is like my builder fucking up the foundations then sneering at me to fix it when my roof pisses in. 

You not think a lot of that is more complex than just systemic racism? 

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

You should watch this - Thomas Sowell is very interesting on this. It is quite surprising.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

You should watch this - Thomas Sowell is very interesting on this. It is quite surprising.

Lots of correlation. I'm not hearing much (any!) evidence of a causal link though?

He is saying the policies enacted in the 60's are the causal link. That Black Americans were doing much better in 1960 approximately 100 years after the abolition of slavery than they were 30 years later after the introduction of liberal policies. These policies have resulted in the relative destruction of black family units for one example. 22% from a broken home in 1960 to 66% in 1990 (I am quoting from memory). That was a very short clip from a longer interview. You can find them on you tube. 

27 minutes ago, thplinth said:

He is saying the policies enacted in the 60's are the causal link. That Black Americans were doing much better in 1960 approximately 100 years after the abolition of slavery than they were 30 years later after the introduction of liberal policies. These policies have resulted in the relative destruction of black family units for one example. 22% from a broken home in 1960 to 66% in 1990 (I am quoting from memory). That was a very short clip from a longer interview. You can find them on you tube. 

Without reference to the same stats for white, Asian and other ethnicities, those stats don't really tell us much other than showing that a conservative thinks that the breakdown of the family unit is responsible for society's ills. If those stats aren't reflected in the white community in particular then there are further questions to be asked about why black children are more likely to be brought up by a single parent than white children, or why that has a disproportionate effect on black kids compared to white.

Edited by wee-toon-red

Sowell is a respected academic though, but there's competing theories on what weight to give each policy and how it impacts the African American American experience. We're moving off the subject of Police Brutality and how African Americans are 2.5 times more likely to be killed by police to what effect did the Welfare reforms have on the socio-economic status of African Americans.

It'll all link up at some point i guess but it's not really a relevant topic.

The footage from Lafayette Square get worse, the more you see, the worse they get.

The whole Trump is Hitler (sorry Godwin) thing was a bit silly, but as you watch military police or service men systematically attack civilians, you need to wonder what goes on in these individuals heads, how can you attack your countrymen like that, how can you blindly follow orders against people, this is how state sponsored fascism is put in place. I cant understand why you would follow orders to attack your own people.

Its like something from a filmset, not a supposed first world democracy.

If this was Africa, Latin America or the Middle East, this would be covered very differently, America would be planning an invasion to restore 'democracy' to their benefit. 

8 minutes ago, kumnio said:

The footage from Lafayette Square get worse, the more you see, the worse they get.

The whole Trump is Hitler (sorry Godwin) thing was a bit silly, but as you watch military police or service men systematically attack civilians, you need to wonder what goes on in these individuals heads, how can you attack your countrymen like that, how can you blindly follow orders against people, this is how state sponsored fascism is put in place. I cant understand why you would follow orders to attack your own people.

Its like something from a filmset, not a supposed first world democracy.

If this was Africa, Latin America or the Middle East, this would be covered very differently, America would be planning an invasion to restore 'democracy' to their benefit. 

This one is pretty bad, the police are fucking out of control over there.

There's a real push to try and concentrate on the thieving and vandelism to try and take away from the fact that the police are fascist tools. A lot more businesses went out of business during the 2008 crash with far less consequences for those responsible and less outrage. It just wasn't as overt looting as panning a window in and taking shit.

2 hours ago, phart said:

Yeah but its attributed in the video to the "legacy of Liberal policies" without even naming what policies and how they know it was due to that.

It is short clip from an interview that I posted to thistle whistle as I thought he might find it interesting to pursue. It is not a scientific paper. Although he is a very well researched and respected academic and this is him discussing a book he has written on it. The clue is the interviewer guy holding the book and quoting him passages to explain in the clip. Maybe read the book if you are curious. 

I don't know how to put this politely but I really could not give a fuck whether you or anyone else rates him or not. I know do and I am really not trying to convince you one way or the other. 

Edited by thplinth

8 minutes ago, phart said:

There's a real push to try and concentrate on the thieving and vandelism to try and take away from the fact that the police are fascist tools. A lot more businesses went out of business during the 2008 crash with far less consequences for those responsible and less outrage. It just wasn't as overt looting as panning a window in and taking shit.

Unrelated, but the way the world is silent on Israel, is now the same with the Yanks. Anywhere else and we would be all over this, its worse than Venezuela, Bolivia and even Hong Kong now.

Im quite surprised that there haven't been more deaths yet, with tactics shown in the video you posted, these people have to be targets now. Im genuinely staggered that people could behave like this against civilians.

19 minutes ago, thplinth said:

It is short clip from an interview that I posted to thistle whistle as I thought he might find it interesting to pursue. It is not a scientific paper. Although he is a very well researched and respected academic and this is him discussing a book he has written on it. The clue is the interviewer guy holding the book and quoting him passages to explain in the clip. Maybe read the book if you are curious. 

I don't know how to put this politely but I really could not give a fuck whether you or anyone else rates him or not. I know do and I am really not trying to convince you one way or the other. 

I have read the book, it was me who told you about Sowell. I've also read the academic criticism to the book, you should read that. You're right the book isn't a scientific paper its methodologies and the characterisations of of the policies it rails against wouldn't pass peer review.

You've edited this as you originally quoted wee-toon-red.

If you can't emotionally handle criticism to your posts without recourse to passive aggression then perhaps fora aren't for you. 

Edited by phart

18 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Unrelated, but the way the world is silent on Israel, is now the same with the Yanks. Anywhere else and we would be all over this, its worse than Venezuela, Bolivia and even Hong Kong now.

Im quite surprised that there haven't been more deaths yet, with tactics shown in the video you posted, these people have to be targets now. Im genuinely staggered that people could behave like this against civilians.

a lot of foreign press are actually covering this. noting the hypocrisy of how America tells others to deal with protestors and how they actually end up dealing with them themselves. We're just not seeing it over here. Turkey, China, Russia are all wading in. Australia who've had press attacked have engaged their US ambassador to get answers etc.

It's really getting out of control.

Hong-Kong protestors have adpated some really effective tactics to minimise the ability of the police to harm them.

Edited by phart

15 minutes ago, phart said:

I have read the book, it was me who told you about Sowell. I've also read the academic criticism to the book, you should read that. You're right the book isn't a scientific paper its methodologies and the characterisations of of the policies it rails against wouldn't pass peer review.

You've edited this as you originally quoted wee-toon-red.

If you can't emotionally handle criticism to your posts without recourse to passive aggression then perhaps fora aren't for you. 

You are the guy running about the board trying to peer review posts like you are the arbiter of truth.

Do you honestly think your biases here are not evident?

You think I am right wing and guess what I think you are sympathetic to the other side.

Glad we know where we stand going forward.

edit: I quoted wee-toon-red when I meant to quote you which I fixed... FFS man all this emotional stuff passive aggression etc ... you want to go down the road of mental illness abuse to bolster your point then maybe you should PM reeky and rossy.

Edited by thplinth

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

You are the guy running about the board trying to peer review posts like you are the arbiter of truth.

Do you honestly think your biases here are not evident?

You think I am right wing and guess what I think you are sympathetic to the other side.

Glad we know where we stand going forward.

Nae bother Mccarthy.

You're stating what I think then constructing an argument against that, my participation isn't even needed, straight straw man fallacy.

Saying my biases are evident but not evident enough to actually name them.

These aren't arguments or "truths" it's cheap rhetoric. We could be discussing the merits of Sowell's positions but no let's talk about the perceived biases of the person who might be contradicting me.

Having a tantrum at being contradicted isn't the best way to advance ones point.

Incidentally thinking this debate is about Left/Right Binary thinking in a 4 dimensional world is simplistic nonsense.

Anyway there is no productive dialogue going to be had here so pointless continuing as opposed to making bad faith assumptions about the other person.

2 minutes ago, phart said:

Nae bother Mccarthy.

You're stating what I think then constructing an argument against that, my participation isn't even needed, straight straw man fallacy.

Saying my biases are evident but not evident enough to actually name them.

These aren't arguments or "truths" it's cheap rhetoric. We could be discussing the merits of Sowell's positions but no let's talk about the perceived biases of the person who might be contradicting me.

Having a tantrum at being contradicted isn't the best way to advance ones point.

Incidentally thinking this debate is about Left/Right Binary thinking in a 4 dimensional world is simplistic nonsense.

Anyway there is no productive dialogue going to be had here so pointless continuing as opposed to making bad faith assumptions about the other person.

Rhetoric... like posting heavily edited clips all one way.

You really think your shit does not stink. News flash it does. 

I dont care. Just stop pretending you are not biased. And then try to correct every one else. It is boring and you are clearly just like the folk you are complaining about. Yet you are running about 'fact checking'... what a load of shit. 

Keep up with mental illness stuff though. Nice move.

7 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Rhetoric... like posting heavily edited clips all one way.

You really think your shit does not stink. News flash it does. 

I dont care. Just stop pretending you are not biased. And then try to correct every one else. It is boring and you are clearly just like the folk you are complaining about. Yet you are running about 'fact checking'... what a load of shit. 

Keep up with mental illness stuff though. Nice move.

What mental health stuff?

6 minutes ago, phart said:

What mental health stuff?

47 minutes ago, phart said:

Suddenly when we disagree I emotionally unable to handle criticism and I am passive aggressive. 

Total loss of respect here.

(edit: and we both know that was not the first time)

Edited by thplinth

What a difference 4 months makes

On 2/16/2020 at 7:09 PM, thplinth said:

I think it is maybe time to 'elect' one or max three new mods. 

Folk the board users would generally be happy with.

And by elect I don't mean some democratic vote... fuck that. That would be suicide.

I'd elect:

phart, he is a self confessed insomniac, annoyingly fair-minded, and knows the board like the back his hand.

fair-minded
/fɛːˈmʌɪndɪd/

adjective
adjective: fair-minded
  1. impartial in judgement; just.

Just now, thplinth said:

Suddenly when we disagree I emotionally unable to handle criticism and I am passive aggressive. 

Total loss of respect here.

Getting emotional isn't a mental health issue, you switched from discussing the point of the argument to discussing my perceived faults (not my arguments perceived fault) a clear sign of getting emotional.

But sure play the victim if you want.