Snooker Thread - Page 5 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Snooker Thread

Angus_Young

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Maguire really is infuriating.

He is leading but stomping around the table. Thumping the table when missing (that can't do your hand any good) and getting frustrated and whacking reds all around the table and offering up a chance. If I never knew better I'd swear Maguire was the amateur and Cahill the pro. I mean it is sending a clear message to your opponent saying look at me I am under the cosh.

I know. But Maguire will still win.

That's one of the things that bugs me about upsets, the player always usually loses in the next round.

Don't get me wrong, as a Scot, I'd love Maguire to win the world title but I have followed his career for almost 20 years and he just does not have the all-round game to do it. Too inconsistent and temperament highly questionable. And in the next round he could very well play Ding Junhui who will chew him up and spit him out as Ding punishes mistakes which Cahill has not. 

Maguire looks set to take a 9-7 lead into tomorrow but even if he runs out a winner far harder matches lie ahead.

27 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Don't get me wrong, as a Scot, I'd love Maguire to win the world title but I have followed his career for almost 20 years and he just does not have the all-round game to do it. Too inconsistent and temperament highly questionable. And in the next round he could very well play Ding Junhui who will chew him up and spit him out as Ding punishes mistakes which Cahill has not. 

Maguire looks set to take a 9-7 lead into tomorrow but even if he runs out a winner far harder matches lie ahead.

No. I totally get it. He's frustrating as hell. Even O'Sullivan said years and years ago that Maguire was a future world champion, and to be honest, he could've won it if he wasn't such a hot-head. I think he needs a sports psychologist. .

Thank for the updates, by the way. I haven't been able to watch it tonight as I'm working pretty much all night and all morning.

34 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And in the next round he could very well play Ding Junhui who will chew him up and spit him out

I see Trump is playing Ding.

Trump will win.

I can't remember a more open world championship than this one. I really can't separate Trump, Robertson and Selby. And you saw what happened last year with Williams so anything can happen. Personally I'm hoping that Higgins can turn back the clock.

Trump is a loose cannon too. He has yet to convince me that he has what it takes in the mental department to win the world title. For me Ding will win that match perhaps 13-8 or 13-9. Selby is toiling for form and may not even get past Gary Wilson. Higgins has a chance but I worry about these surprising misses he throws in now and again. Top players punish that.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Trump is a loose cannon too. He has yet to convince me that he has what it takes in the mental department to win the world title. For me Ding will win that match perhaps 13-8 or 13-9. Selby is toiling for form and may not even get past Gary Wilson. Higgins has a chance but I worry about these surprising misses he throws in now and again. Top players punish that.

No. You could definitely say that in the past about Trump, but he's matured and he's treating practicing very seriously, as well as practicing more often. There's a maturity about his game that wasn't there in the past, even the way he talks, he seem more grown up. He even said that sooner or later you have to grow up, and he has.

His tactical game is getting up there with the best and his attacking play is the best. He has more balance to his game now and he's my pick to win the entire thing.

11 minutes ago, Chripper said:

No. You could definitely say that in the past about Trump, but he's matured and he's treating practicing very seriously, as well as practicing more often. There's a maturity about his game that wasn't there in the past, even the way he talks, he seem more grown up. He even said that sooner or later you have to grow up, and he has.

His tactical game is getting up there with the best and his attacking play is the best. He has more balance to his game now and he's my pick to win the entire thing.

Until he wins a world title though the point stands. He is too gung-ho at the wrong times and top players punish his misses. We shall see anyway. Match with Ding will be a cracker.

Selby about to level it at 10-10 against Wilson.

Got tickets for the final session of Trump/Ding. Hoping Ding wins. Selby is struggling a little right now, and I'm not sure he has enough in his locker to win it this year. For me Robertson could do it, Ding is a possibility, and also Trump. You can never discount Higgins. 

Agree with everything above about Maguire. Hugely frustrating player who should have won so much more than he has, but let down by his temperament. 

2 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Thank God!

I had £40 riding on it.

Leading up the final frame I just couldn't see Maguire win. He was missing everything.

Nice one. Yes he really is an enigma. He loses frames he should win and wins frames when you don't expect him to. In his post-match interview he admits the problems he has with cuing and must work on that between now and the start of his QF.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Nice one. Yes he really is an enigma. He loses frames he should win and wins frames when you don't expect him to. In his post-match interview he admits the problems he has with cuing and must work on that between now and the start of his QF.

Oh, he'll definitely be working on it, and he has to, otherwise he's out.

I like him, but at times his attitude lets him down. If he employed a sports therapist it would help, but is he open minded enough to go that route?I don't know. If it's good enough for O'Sullivan...

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

The Trump V Ding match has been disappointing quality-wise. Trump won't mind though as he is 5-1 up but Ding has played like a doughnut.

My pre-tournament favourite was Trump. Can't really seeing anyone beat him, perhaps Robertson.

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Mind-blowing standard by Barry Hawkins this morning. He leads Kyren Wilson 6-1 courtesy of four centuries and couple of 80+ breaks. Wilson's sole frame came from a century break of his own.

Hawkins has bee superb.

People forget, because of his mild demeanour, that's he a brilliant snooker player. If it wasn't for O'Sullivan he would've won the world championship.

I think he might be a dark horse.

2 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Hawkins has bee superb.

People forget, because of his mild demeanour, that's he a brilliant snooker player. If it wasn't for O'Sullivan he would've won the world championship.

I think he might be a dark horse.

He has a very good Crucible pedigree but does he have a champion mentality? That is all I'd question. Can he do it against the very best at the business end? On this form he is one of the favourites.

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He has a very good Crucible pedigree but does he have a champion mentality? That is all I'd question. Can he do it against the very best at the business end? On this form he is one of the favourites.

Time will tell.

I definitely think that he's in the mix.