Snooker Thread - Page 4 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Snooker Thread

Angus_Young

36 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Hendry won 8 World Championships in a row. That's something that will never be equalled.

Hendry's only won 7 titles in total, including five in a row from 1992-1996. He was ranked number one for 8 consecutive seasons mind you.

In terms of the greatest, I always think that in order to be the GOAT you should really be someone who changed the face of your sport or the way it's played in addition to being amongst the most successful ever. That - and the domination mentioned above - is why I'd put Hendry ahead of O'Sullivan and Davis. Before Hendry, safety play was the order of the day but he was the one who made going for long pots the norm rather than the exception.

A bit like Tiger in golf (though I'm not convinced he's the GOAT yet). Today's big-hitting golfers only play that way because Tiger did and was successful at it and courses were altered accordingly.

2 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Hendry's only won 7 titles in total, including five in a row from 1992-1996. He was ranked number one for 8 consecutive seasons mind you.

In terms of the greatest, I always think that in order to be the GOAT you should really be someone who changed the face of your sport or the way it's played in addition to being amongst the most successful ever. That - and the domination mentioned above - is why I'd put Hendry ahead of O'Sullivan and Davis. Before Hendry, safety play was the order of the day but he was the one who made going for long pots the norm rather than the exception.

A bit like Tiger in golf (though I'm not convinced he's the GOAT yet). Today's big-hitting golfers only play that way because Tiger did and was successful at it and courses were altered accordingly.

D'oh! I meant five in a row. I was distracted by today's match

Agreed. Like Nadal and Federer in tennis. One is an artist on the court, the only is pretty much impregnable on ash. So much so, they're so much ahead of the rest that they're still spanking the next generation.  Both have changed how Tennis is played and both are the still the gold standard of their sport.

I think the old who's the best, Hendry or O'Sullivan isn't even a debate in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Chripper said:

D'oh! I meant five in a row. I was distracted by today's match

Agreed. Like Nadal and Federer in tennis. One is an artist on the court, the only is pretty much impregnable on ash. So much so, they're so much ahead of the rest that they're still spanking the next generation.  Both have changed how Tennis is played and both are the still the gold standard of their sport.

I think the old who's the best, Hendry or O'Sullivan isn't even a debate in my opinion. 

The problem is that so many put too much stock in centuries scored in career etc. To me that is a meaningless stat. If you look through that list I'd guess that a fair few players today have more career centuries than Steve Davis but couldn't hold a candle to him on titles won. Winning frames and titles is the name of the game not scoring centuries.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The problem is that so many put too much stock in centuries scored in career etc. To me that is a meaningless stat. If you look through that list I'd guess that a fair few players today have more career centuries than Steve Davis but couldn't hold a candle to him on titles won. Winning frames and titles is the name of the game not scoring centuries.

Agreed entirely.

Plus let's be honest, in sports where they're there's a World Championship, players are always going to be judged by many they win. It's like in darts, Van Gerwin will probably win more titles than Phil Taylor, but unless he equals of beats Taylor's haul of World Championships he won't be considered the greatest. I hope he does, though, but I can't see it.

20 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Normally I'd agree but I have never got all the hype about Maguire. Very over-hyped player and was damned lucky to get past a debutant in the First Round.

It's not because Maguire is so good. It usually happens in Snooker, an upset happens and then that player who made the upset gets knocked out in the next round, irrespective of the opposition.

I think he's a better player than most give him credit for. If Dott can win the world championship then Maguire can, too.

This "tartan snooker cell" of Higgins, Maguire and Dott (I think it's Dott) in interesting. They've gotten together and arranged regular training and practicing in Glasgow. I think we'll see the fruits of this labour next season. I think either of them could win the world championship in the next few years, if they keep up the cell.

I think Trump could win it this season. He has an all-round game now, and that's come around because he's practicing more. Even if O'Sullivan was still in the tournament, I'd still pick Trump, as he's one of the few players that isn't scared of Ronnie.

Edited by Chripper

Just now, Chripper said:

It's not because Maguire is so good. It usually happens in Snooker, an upset happens and then that player who made the upset gets knocked out in the next round, irrespective of the opposition.

I think he's a better player than most give him credit for. If Dott can win the world championship then Maguire can, too.

This "tartan snooker cell" of Higgins, Maguire and Dott (I think it's Dott) in interesting. They've gotten together and arranged regular training and practicing in Glasgow. I think we'll see the fruits of this labour next season. I think either of them could win the world championship in the next few years, if they keep up the cell.

Yes the danger for Cahill is he relaxes and believes the hype and does not give the next match the same due care and attention and loses. Maguire lacks in the mental department whereas Dott is/was stronger there and that is a big weapon in this sport. Maguire is like Ronnie mentally - can often lose the plot and lose interest.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes the danger for Cahill is he relaxes and believes the hype and does not give the next match the same due care and attention and loses. Maguire lacks in the mental department whereas Dott is/was stronger there and that is a big weapon in this sport. Maguire is like Ronnie mentally - can often lose the plot and lose interest.

It's not even that, it's the fact that he's on such a high, anything from now is a downer, even a win.

Agreed, in snooker it's 95% about the mind, if you're weak mentally or you switch off then you won't reach the top. I do think because of these three players committing to this process Maguire could do very well next season. I can even see Higgins win another word championship.

7 minutes ago, Chripper said:

It's not even that, it's the fact that he's on such a high, anything from now is a downer, even a win.

Agreed, in snooker it's 95% about the mind, if you're weak mentally or you switch off then you won't reach the top. I do think because of these three players committing to this process Maguire could do very well next season. I can even see Higgins win another word championship.

Higgins I agree with you but Maguire - not a chance. He has too many weaknesses mentally and attitude is questionable. Like I said mentally he is like Ronnie without his talent. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Higgins I agree with you but Maguire - not a chance. He has too many weaknesses mentally and attitude is questionable. Like I said mentally he is like Ronnie without his talent. 

He definitely has the talent, it's always been there, it's his temperament that's always been questionable. Same could be said for Trump, but Trump has started being more professional and starting treating the sport as a 9-5 gig.

I think Maguire could surprise a lot of people, maybe not this year, but certainly in the next couple.

Anyone see Gary Wilson's shot on the green against Selby? Leans on the butt of the rest to raise the metal end off the baize above the blue ball. Great shot, but wondering why they no longer use extended spiders or swan neck rests.

17 minutes ago, Stapes said:

Anyone see Gary Wilson's shot on the green against Selby? Leans on the butt of the rest to raise the metal end off the baize above the blue ball. Great shot, but wondering why they no longer use extended spiders or swan neck rests.

I wasn't watching.

Not to sound like a misogynist, but did anyone watch the Robertson vs Murphy match?

To the left of the players seats, second to the right, was the most beautiful woman I've ever seen at a snooker match. Hopefully she's there for the second session tomorrow.

5 hours ago, Chripper said:

I wasn't watching.

Not to sound like a misogynist, but did anyone watch the Robertson vs Murphy match?

To the left of the players seats, second to the right, was the most beautiful woman I've ever seen at a snooker match. Hopefully she's there for the second session tomorrow.

image.jpeg.5d125cf2d944f327cf6909c24b084450.jpeg

Maguire really is infuriating.

He is leading but stomping around the table. Thumping the table when missing (that can't do your hand any good) and getting frustrated and whacking reds all around the table and offering up a chance. If I never knew better I'd swear Maguire was the amateur and Cahill the pro. I mean it is sending a clear message to your opponent saying look at me I am under the cosh.