Snooker Thread - Page 7 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Snooker Thread

Angus_Young

Higgins is an absolute machine at times. Brilliant display. But felt bad for Gilbert. He's 37 and had had very little success until this year. Think he's now been to two finals and the semi of the World Championship. 

4 minutes ago, Stapes said:

Higgins is an absolute machine at times. Brilliant display. But felt bad for Gilbert. He's 37 and had had very little success until this year. Think he's now been to two finals and the semi of the World Championship. 

Yes I was gutted for him. Seems like a real nice bloke but I am sure (on this kind of showing) that he'll be back plus he gets a big pay day after being potless a few years ago sleeping on a mate's sofa. Real feelgood story there.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I was gutted for him. Seems like a real nice bloke but I am sure (on this kind of showing) that he'll be back plus he gets a big pay day after being potless a few years ago sleeping on a mate's sofa. Real feelgood story there.

Aye, Higgins was saying that he was one of the most likeable and respected guys on the tour. 

So the final which starts this afternoon is between John Higgins and Judd Trump. I have to go for Higgins to win 18-16 due to his superior matchplay game but Trump has been in better form this year than John - no doubt. Higgins has the upper-hand in their head-to-head leading 22-9. In Trump's favour is that he has had the more comfortable, less draining route through to the final whereas Higgins has been pushed and tested by Bingham (13-11), Robertson (13-11) and Gilbert (17-16) after which he got emotional. That must drain him.

Mate got tickets for the final session tonight (going by the current score there might not be an evening session).

If that is the case what happens?

He got his tickets from Viagogo

Well that was totally brilliant from Judd Trump. His time has come and it feels the talented boy has grown into a man and become a well-deserved World Champion. A superb all-round display of potting, break building and heavy scoring and in addition a tactical side to his game where he mixed it and won the safety battles with Higgins - that alone is some feat. He seems a very humble bloke and it was great to see him urging Higgins on from his seat when a 147 was on and likewise when the situations were reversed later on. He has shown he can win the greatest prize in snooker and you'd be a mug now to suggest it will be his last world title. Gutted for Higgins who suffered a third successive world final defeat (a feat of its own) and hope it does not affect him in the next few months like last year's loss did.

A great tournament that saw the record for tournament centuries at The Crucible, the record for most centuries in a single match and had numerous top quality matches with nail-biting finishes. It blows the theory out of the water perpetrated by Ronnie fans that snooker is nothing without Ronnie.

28 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well that was totally brilliant from Judd Trump. His time has come and it feels the talented boy has grown into a man and become a well-deserved World Champion. A superb all-round display of potting, break building and heavy scoring and in addition a tactical side to his game where he mixed it and won the safety battles with Higgins - that alone is some feat. He seems a very humble bloke and it was great to see him urging Higgins on from his seat when a 147 was on and likewise when the situations were reversed later on. He has shown he can win the greatest prize in snooker and you'd be a mug now to suggest it will be his last world title. Gutted for Higgins who suffered a third successive world final defeat (a feat of its own) and hope it does not affect him in the next few months like last year's loss did.

A great tournament that saw the record for tournament centuries at The Crucible, the record for most centuries in a single match and had numerous top quality matches with nail-biting finishes. It blows the theory out of the water perpetrated by Ronnie fans that snooker is nothing without Ronnie.

I think Jimmy white lost 5 in a row during the 90s.