Snooker Thread - Page 6 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Snooker Thread

Angus_Young

In this morning's matches a jaded Kyren Wilson failed to fire whilst David Gilbert missed a serious of blacks off the spot. They shared the frames 4-4. On the other table Ali Carter raced into a 3-0 lead but Gary Wilson really impressed hitting back with centuries and big breaks to lead 5-3 at the end of their first session.

This evening's matches have seen David Gilbert forge clear of Kyren Wilson and he will take a 10-6 lead into tomorrow's final session. On the other table Gary Wilson leads Ali Carter 9-6 as they play their last frame of the day. Wilson at the table and building a big lead. It could be 10-6 to the qualifier.

A vintage performance from John Higgins to take a 9-7 lead into this evening's final session against Neil Robertson. Judd Trump leads Stephen Maguire 11-5.

Earlier today Gary Wilson beat Ali Carter 13-9 and David Gilbert beat Kyren Wilson 13-8 to book their first Crucible semis. Fabulous performances for them to reach that stage but you feel they'll find the quality of opponent they will face there too hot to handle.

Interesting semi-finals ahead. Who are you picking to take it all Caledonian Craig? They flashed the odds up on Eurosport last night, the two surprising semi-finalists are outsiders despite being the consensus best players overall so far.  

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

Interesting semi-finals ahead. Who are you picking to take it all Caledonian Craig? They flashed the odds up on Eurosport last night, the two surprising semi-finalists are outsiders despite being the consensus best players overall so far.  

Right now my money would be on John Higgins.

First of all the semis - David Gilbert has far exceeded even his expectations (I am sure) getting this far. He has a solid all-round game and more a match play type player. By that I mean he can win tactical frames, score heavy if need be and has a good safety game. However, here he is playing the greatest match play player I think snooker has ever seen or certainly since Steve Davis. Higgins to win 16-12.

Gary Wilson has also far exceeded everyone's expectations and joins an elite group of qualifiers to reach a World semi-final. He has a very good temperament and can score heavy when in but at times his positional play can go awry. I see Judd Trump just having too much firepower for him and take Trump to win 16-10.

I feel a Higgins V Trump final looks a sure thing. Trump is great when chances are presented to him no doubt about that but again I come back to Higgins supreme matchplay ability. He has the knack (as he did against Robertson) to play more frames on his terms. If frames get tactical (which they will) Higgins will bamboozle Trump. Trump is like Ronnie - looks great if you give him the chances and his potting eye is in but break up his rhythm and play with his mind and his game will struggle. Trump the more dynamic player but Higgins has more facets to his game - ie can win in one visit or win tactical frames.

I'd take Higgins to win 18-14.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Right now my money would be on John Higgins.

First of all the semis - David Gilbert has far exceeded even his expectations (I am sure) getting this far. He has a solid all-round game and more a match play type player. By that I mean he can win tactical frames, score heavy if need be and has a good safety game. However, here he is playing the greatest match play player I think snooker has ever seen or certainly since Steve Davis. Higgins to win 16-12.

Gary Wilson has also far exceeded everyone's expectations and joins an elite group of qualifiers to reach a World semi-final. He has a very good temperament and can score heavy when in but at times his positional play can go awry. I see Judd Trump just having too much firepower for him and take Trump to win 16-10.

I feel a Higgins V Trump final looks a sure thing. Trump is great when chances are presented to him no doubt about that but again I come back to Higgins supreme matchplay ability. He has the knack (as he did against Robertson) to play more frames on his terms. If frames get tactical (which they will) Higgins will bamboozle Trump. Trump is like Ronnie - looks great if you give him the chances and his potting eye is in but break up his rhythm and play with his mind and his game will struggle. Trump the more dynamic player but Higgins has more facets to his game - ie can win in one visit or win tactical frames.

I'd take Higgins to win 18-14.

Nice breakdown of what you think will happen. I hope it plays out that way. Would be nice to see Higgins win it again. Cheers

So the semis are played to a finish today.

This morning Judd Trump resumes 9-7 up on Gary Wilson as they play their third session. Wilson hanging in there very well to his credit. Like his temperament and fight.

This afternoon sees the David Gilbert V John Higgins semi played to a finish. Higgins has hauled himself back into the match in the second half of yesterday evening's session. He trailed 12-7 but ended the session reducing his arrears to 13-11. He'll need to improve his all-round standard though as Gilbert is playing to a higher and more consistent level so far. Anybody's match now though.