Top 5 Best Cities In The World - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Top 5 Best Cities In The World

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How anyone could possibly put London ahead of Tokyo is beyond me. Then again how anyone could put London in their top 5 is also staggering :blink:

I put it to you that you haven't properly explored London to find out how great it actually is.

I know Rome & Paris pretty well but they are not on a par with London.TBH I've been to lots of cities and none of them comes close to London.

I put it to you that you haven't properly explored London to find out how great it actually is.

Oh I have seen more than enough it.

I am utterly astonished that two people included Rekyavik :wtf:

Edited by Lamia

Betty granted it city status in 2001. Cracking place - I've only been once but a return visit is definitely on the agenda.

Aye me too but it was a whole day on the lash visiting lots of bars but we did a fair bit of walking about getting to see the place,even managed to fit in a fish supper down at the beach and stroll about the pier.

Rekyjavik

Oslo

Stockholm

Gothenburg

Malmo

Helsinki

Copenhagen

Dublin

Belfast

Amsterdam

Berlin

Brussels

Paris

Marseille

Lyon

Marseille

Nice

Monaco

Barcelona

Edinburgh

Glasgow

London

Birmingham

Newcastle

Cardiff

Houston

Toronto

Tallinn

Riga

Vilnius

Warsaw

Krakow

Chisinau

Minsk

Moscow

Tblisi

Kiev

Atyrau

Vienna

Llubjana

Zagreb

Sarajevo

Milan

Budapest

Luxemburg City

Prague

Reykjavik

Torshavn

Dusseldorf

Tunis

Accra

Luanda

Lagos

Nairobi

Dar Asselaam

Cape Town

Bangkok

was trying to list off all the cities i remember spending @ least 1 night in - need more Asia and south america

I guess opinions are based on your mindset at time - I still rate stockholm highly because i was there as a 13 year with scouts, we were in Sweden for 3 weeks in 83, and folks weren't travelling so much, and certainly not to the likes of scandanavia - 89 it was £1 for a coke and £2,80 for a bottle of beer ie an hours gross wage

I'm not even sure what i would rank as top 5, but Cape Town would certainly be near the top - expression i was give before i came here is that its "Europe in Africa" and that's exactly what CPT is

Warsaw (heading for an 8th time in 9 weeks). From museums and history to pubs and food. Everything about this city appeals to me. It's also cheap as which helps...

Berlin - Europe's finest capital. Not much more to say than that.

Tarragona - elways found it very easy going for a major city. Clean and doesn't have the same touristy crappy feel most of Spain has.

Riga - loved it the first time I went, hated it the second. Third time I went though I seen past the stag dos that ruined it and appreciated it for what it was - a city rich in history and pleasing on the eye (even Soviet era block buildings!!)

Dusseldorf - had my honeymoon there at Christmas time. Seemed magical. Probably wasn't but it's all about experiences I suppose.

Honorable mentions to;

Evansville - wee bit out there and again, probably would raise an eyebrow or two but it has its charm and it's pretty much your average small American city. Just has special memories I suppose.

Bydgoszcz. Everyone I know who's been has hated it. I loved it. Don't know why it held so much charm for me but it did.

Interesting to read these comments. I've been torn over whether to arrange a trip to Iceland for a wee while. When it comes to the crunch I'm too much of a tightwad for Scandanavia :-))

Iceland is an interesting place to visit but Reykjavik is pish!

Just spent new year in Madrid and didnt have enough time to see everything but it is a superb city with great bars and restaurants like to go back in the spring or autumn and it might get into my top 5 . The locals are a bit bemused why most people go to Barcelona and ignore Madrid.

I know Rome & Paris pretty well but they are not on a par with London.TBH I've been to lots of cities and none of them comes close to London.

I know Paris and Rome very well but not London. In Paris and Rome you rarely observe 23 yr old boys driving around in Bentleys. For that reason I much prefer them over London but I realise it's maybe not fair. Why do you like it more?

agree on reykjavik - nothing to write home there about - Torshavn was more interesting

London's too big - even if there are things to do 24 hours a day - people only stay in their own suburban area like Twickenham, West Ham etc

I know that the actual definition but usually it conjures up pictures of leafy suburbs. Can't shoehorn the shithole that is West Ham into that picture.

Interesting to read these comments. I've been torn over whether to arrange a trip to Iceland for a wee while. When it comes to the crunch I'm too much of a tightwad for Scandanavia :-))

Iceland is no cheaper than Scandi IMO, Our trip to Iceland in 2006, the first place we went for tea cost 27 quid for a burger/chips and beer...each.......

I found Stockholm a lot easier on the pocket, although it was cheaper to take a 2 day ferry trip to Tallin (all accom included and a 4 hour stop over)than 1 night accom in Stockholm, which was in a Hostel....

Was early 2000's and The Baltics were awfy cheap then...

Edited by stocky

My favourite cities are probably:

Edinburgh

Cologne

Beijing

Madrid

Nottingham.

I'd reluctantly concede that Notts might not be on everyone's list, right enough.

Cologne is really nice (though it seems to have gone downhill in last couple of years) and the cathedral is awesome though Dresden just shades it in my opinion.