Oil - Page 11 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

10 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Your salary dropped by £35k? As in it "dropped" by £10k MORE than the national average salary?

There's folk in the call centre in my work earning £18k a year for a 40hr week, with 25 days annual leave and 7 stats.

Forgive me for my bleeding heart when I hear about those in the oil industry moaning.

As I said, not looking for a bleeding heart, The oil industry (Drilling) is open to everyone. Pay the money, get the courses and start at the bottom. £28k for a roustabout.  However, many have tried it and either not liked it or never got the opportunity. Nepotism is rife out here. 

I just told you what life is like, Salaries are based on 37.5 hr weeks, if people decide to do more that's their business.

I said Dropped by £35k, that still does not indicate my annual salary now, it may be less than £30k

I also mentioned that I have tried to get back working onshore without much success

12 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

12-15 hours per day - more often than not including Saturday. Sunday I’m exhausted because of it

You feel my pain then also, I never said I work hard all the time, however when there is a breakdown I am expected to remain at the worksite until it is rectified.

This is the Industry I'm in and done well from it, but it is certainly not my chosen Industry.

23 hours ago, The White Ceelo said:

As I am currently working as an agency mechanic on a platform north west of shetland and still have 15 days to work before I get home let me explain a few things.

• My 52 weeks are on a 3 on 3 off rotation, I may not be home for Birthdays, weddings, funerals, christmas or new year as every day is Monday out here.  So effectively I work 187 days per year
  • I MUST work a minimum 84hr week, 7 x 12hrs with absolutely no days off.  21 x 12hrs nightshift is hard going.
  • I sleep in a cabin not much larger than a cell and on a top bunk bed with a complete stranger sleeping less than 3 feet below me snoring, farting or sniffing my boxers with only a curtain between us. (trust me you dont want to put the light on when the curtain is closed, some of the stains are very suspect)
  • I eat when they tell me to eat with no access to making anything I want.
  • I cannot go outside in the summer, even offshift if the weather is occasionally scorching without overalls, hard hat, gloves, boots and hearing protection.  (this summer was superb)
  • I MUST work in all weather conditions to get the rig working, missing meals, rest times etc
  • Did I mention I cannot drink or take drugs either 

I could go on but that would seem like whinging 😉

Now, as much as I get 186 days off, I technically lose 2 days travelling to and from work. so 9 trips = 18 days, so now im at  168 days off

Onshore workers,

• 5 days @ 37hrs per week. 2 days off 
  • 8 statuary holiday and 28 days annual leave = 36 days (not including sickies) 
  • 48 weekends x 2 = 96 days off + 36 holidays = 132 days off

So, I get on average 36 days off more than most Per Annum.

Now the good part, 

• Since 2014 my annual salary has dropped around £35000
  • If I get a full years work I earn a little more than onshore, I've applied for many jobs onshore but because I work in the Oil industry they are not interested.
  • I go home after 3 weeks of hard slog and wait for a phone call to see if I am invited to return 3 weeks later.
  • I may have to sit at home for months on end with no pay waiting on a phone call.
  • I would love to hang up my hard hat but doesn't look likely
  • I have to pay for all my courses to stay available for work whether I get any or not. ( look up the prices of some offshore courses, anywhere from £100 to £1500)

Thank you very much for the bleeding heart, and I do live on Earth, flat or not.

Interesting insight. 

If you could change one thing, what would you change? 

2 minutes ago, The White Ceelo said:

Single man cabins when offshift, simple

I wonder why they don't offer that as part of the package? Make workforce happier, less tired, less stressed? Surely must make sense? 

31 minutes ago, exile said:

I wonder why they don't offer that as part of the package? Make workforce happier, less tired, less stressed? Surely must make sense? 

Most places don't have the space for it mate, Norway have single person cabins even when you are on shift. Technically that is your room for the 2 week trip over there, just like a hotel room.

Stress is the biggest problem out here, that's why the divorce rate is so high.

16 minutes ago, The White Ceelo said:

Most places don't have the space for it mate, Norway have single person cabins even when you are on shift. Technically that is your room for the 2 week trip over there, just like a hotel room.

Stress is the biggest problem out here, that's why the divorce rate is so high.

So how come Norway manage it? It must be possible? 

Or, if space is a premium, how about capsules (half height)? 

If stress a big problem I'd have thought getting your own space could be key to solving? It could cost more in space and cash but if less stress could be worth it? Or are the costs borne by individuals not so much the employer? 

Sorry if it's a naive question but do management have single cabins?

Edited by exile

8 minutes ago, exile said:

So how come Norway manage it? It must be possible? 

Or, if space is a premium, how about capsules (half height)? 

If stress a big problem I'd have thought getting your own space could be key to solving? It could cost more in space and cash but if less stress could be worth it? Or are the costs borne by individuals not so much the employer? 

Sorry if it's a naive question but do management have single cabins?

Yes, management have their own cabins.

We don't pay anything to be out here so no costs borne by us.

If I don't like it I can leave, there are plenty like me apparently whom would love to be here.

Norway treat their workforce with respect, hence their rotation is 2 on and 4 off. Some UK nationals have jobs in Norway but not many as they prefer to keep it in house.

UK North sea is pretty much fukked for workers rights, but there are green shoots beginning to appear which puts the boot back on the employees foot as Money and conditions improve elsewhere. I am rapidly heading to the "Too Old" and "Too fat" for jumping ships now.

7 hours ago, The White Ceelo said:

Yes, management have their own cabins.

We don't pay anything to be out here so no costs borne by us.

If I don't like it I can leave, there are plenty like me apparently whom would love to be here.

Norway treat their workforce with respect, hence their rotation is 2 on and 4 off. Some UK nationals have jobs in Norway but not many as they prefer to keep it in house.

UK North sea is pretty much fukked for workers rights, but there are green shoots beginning to appear which puts the boot back on the employees foot as Money and conditions improve elsewhere. I am rapidly heading to the "Too Old" and "Too fat" for jumping ships now.

Thanks. The fact management has their own cabins is telling. It (and the Norway angle) shows that space can be found - if it is simply prioritised. I'd better not start on workers rights, but it always seems that employers rely on workers putting up with stuff to get away with things they wouldn't put up with themselves. Anyway I've said enough. Except to say, I sympathise and would be nice to think anyone feeling 'old' and 'fat' could have a space of their own.

On 10/4/2018 at 11:30 AM, vanderark14 said:

offshore workers should have used their brains before deciding to go into the industry, maybe they wouldn't be stuck in a cabin which smells like farts

Maybe some people like the smell of farts?

I’m mainly thinking of sparks here. 😂

On 10/4/2018 at 12:03 AM, The White Ceelo said:

As I am currently working as an agency mechanic on a platform north west of shetland and still have 15 days to work before I get home let me explain a few things.

• My 52 weeks are on a 3 on 3 off rotation, I may not be home for Birthdays, weddings, funerals, christmas or new year as every day is Monday out here.  So effectively I work 187 days per year
  • I MUST work a minimum 84hr week, 7 x 12hrs with absolutely no days off.  21 x 12hrs nightshift is hard going.
  • I sleep in a cabin not much larger than a cell and on a top bunk bed with a complete stranger sleeping less than 3 feet below me snoring, farting or sniffing my boxers with only a curtain between us. (trust me you dont want to put the light on when the curtain is closed, some of the stains are very suspect)
  • I eat when they tell me to eat with no access to making anything I want.
  • I cannot go outside in the summer, even offshift if the weather is occasionally scorching without overalls, hard hat, gloves, boots and hearing protection.  (this summer was superb)
  • I MUST work in all weather conditions to get the rig working, missing meals, rest times etc
  • Did I mention I cannot drink or take drugs either 

I could go on but that would seem like whinging 😉

Now, as much as I get 186 days off, I technically lose 2 days travelling to and from work. so 9 trips = 18 days, so now im at  168 days off

Onshore workers,

• 5 days @ 37hrs per week. 2 days off 
  • 8 statuary holiday and 28 days annual leave = 36 days (not including sickies) 
  • 48 weekends x 2 = 96 days off + 36 holidays = 132 days off

So, I get on average 36 days off more than most Per Annum.

Now the good part, 

• Since 2014 my annual salary has dropped around £35000
  • If I get a full years work I earn a little more than onshore, I've applied for many jobs onshore but because I work in the Oil industry they are not interested.
  • I go home after 3 weeks of hard slog and wait for a phone call to see if I am invited to return 3 weeks later.
  • I may have to sit at home for months on end with no pay waiting on a phone call.
  • I would love to hang up my hard hat but doesn't look likely
  • I have to pay for all my courses to stay available for work whether I get any or not. ( look up the prices of some offshore courses, anywhere from £100 to £1500)

Thank you very much for the bleeding heart, and I do live on Earth, flat or not.

why you counting days - you should be counting hours worked - notwithstanding you don;t work all the hours (have seen guys in Nigeria on their 28 rotation never coming to office on Saturday/Sunday)

Typical worker is 240 days @  7.5 so is 1800 hours

Offshore worker is 187 days @ 12 so is 2244 hours - 25% extra hours worked 

My pay is office based in Oil - has gone up 35% since 2014 although mainly loaded into last 10 months with 2 job changes - hadn't had a pay increase for 4 years from 2014 to  late 2017.

Have worked in following locations due to Oil, Nigeria, Angola, Ghana, Gabon, Congo, Kenya, South Africa, Tunisia, Libya, Algeria,  Russia, UK, Kazakhstan - now relocating to Houston

12 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Or up.

😠👀👅

11 hours ago, euan2020 said:

why you counting days - you should be counting hours worked - notwithstanding you don;t work all the hours (have seen guys in Nigeria on their 28 rotation never coming to office on Saturday/Sunday)

Typical worker is 240 days @  7.5 so is 1800 hours

Offshore worker is 187 days @ 12 so is 2244 hours - 25% extra hours worked 

My pay is office based in Oil - has gone up 35% since 2014 although mainly loaded into last 10 months with 2 job changes - hadn't had a pay increase for 4 years from 2014 to  late 2017.

Have worked in following locations due to Oil, Nigeria, Angola, Ghana, Gabon, Congo, Kenya, South Africa, Tunisia, Libya, Algeria,  Russia, UK, Kazakhstan - now relocating to Houston

Maybe we dont work all the hrs mate, not my fault if PTW are not ready or take 3 days to be issued. Point is, I'm still here and not at home.

God effort with the hrs though. I was only pointing out we get on average 3 days per month with our families more than most. The hrs can go a long way to justify the wages. 

Would be nice to get 35%. Never Mind , looking forward to my Christmas dinner in 2 trips time. :banghead:

Ps, Forgot to mention, We have a minimum 50% chance of dying at our workplace.

Edited by The White Ceelo

1 hour ago, The White Ceelo said:

Why is that Pish,  its a concrete fact  3/3 rotation is 50%  not to mention being fogged on 

Are you genuinely being serious with that point?

I hope youre pished and will realise that what youve said is absolute utter pish when youre sober.

3/3 is indeed a split of 50%, however dying at work is no where near that.

22 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I think he meant dying with a hangover the day after getting back to shore after spending 3 weeks on a dry oil rig.

3 hours ago, kumnio said:

I hope youre pished and will realise that what youve said is absolute utter pish when youre sober.

3/3 is indeed a split of 50%, however dying at work is no where near that.

No I genuinly meant it, If I am to die before I retire and am still in the same industry then I have a 50% chance it will be out here. I don't mean killed, I mean dying of natural causes

8 hours ago, The White Ceelo said:

No I genuinly meant it, If I am to die before I retire and am still in the same industry then I have a 50% chance it will be out here. I don't mean killed, I mean dying of natural causes

Ok, as you are now adding several caveats, you will be getting closer to a figure of 50%, but still nowhere near it, and certainly not based on your original statement.

8 hours ago, The White Ceelo said:

I don't want to worry you are anything but you are far, far more likely to be killed in an accident than die of natural causes whilst you are on a oil platform in the North Sea. But even if you combine the two together the chances are still fairly low. Probably not much different to anybody else dying at their place of work. 

Top 3 causes for offshore deaths

Suffocating on their massive pillow stuffed with £100 notes.

Skin cancer from all those exotic holidays and trips.

Game of twister getting out of hand.  Massive shift pile on.