Oil - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Yes, but anyone working in oil must realise its always going to be a volatile market thay can change. They get paid way over the odds of normal jobs for a reason. Canny be that hard to put a wee bit awau for a rainy day, maybe like an "oil fund" type idea.

Its a shame for the guy but to afford a 300k house he must have been making some good money.

You cant work in that industry and exoect plain sailig all the time.

Most jobs have a level of volatility. I don't oil folks get good wages because of the volatility, it's more because of the sh1t and harsh conditions for offshore folks or the cost of living for onshore.

Hang on a minute while I go and pick your dummy up for you........

There we go.

I'd heard of professor Gold, took me a minute to remember where, and it's because his name is usually the second one which comes up alongside Fred Hoyle wrt steady state theory of the universe. That's led to a fair number of people doing the same thing to him as happened to Hoyle and discarding his work as wrong. It was wrong (spectacularly) in the area of a steady state, but he was a brilliant pioneer in radio astronomy and did a lot of truly remarkable work.

However he's also a very good example of someone who is brilliantly exceptional in one field who tries to move their brilliance into another field, forgets that it took twenty or thirty years to achieve that level in their original field and then reckons they can do the same in another field off a few years of study. It's reminiscent of Linus Pauling and his medical research (Prof Paul Offit summed up Pauling's work by saying he was so remarkably right in one field that he got two Nobel Prizes and so remarkably wrong in another that it could be described as quackery).

I'm not going to argue about this, given that the link you posted yourself in the first place said that large scale natural biological production of oil has been discredited.

As for me, I'm not a scientist, but I work with scientists and engineers who develop tech that's years away from the market and have done for a few years now in a variety of fields across Physics, Astronomy, Environmental Science, Biology, Energy and Brewing.I've never claimed to be an expert, because I'm not. However every time I challenge you, you resort to personal attack, so quite frankly I'm not going to enter any deep debate with you as you only seem to be interested in talking to people who say 'oooh, that's interesting thplinth, aren't you smart for educating us all'.

Which is what this comes down from the beginning, you carrying this prejudice around like the mental case you are.

I asked it as a question, one line on a thread about oil. FFs You bring in creationism and neocons like a wing bat nut case based on your wee prejudices about me and not for the first time you have made a prize tit out yourself doing this.

You see things that don't exist. I'd be so glad if you put me ignore as your are ultra fukking tedious for me.

Most jobs have a level of volatility. I don't oil folks get good wages because of the volatility, it's more because of the sh1t and harsh conditions for offshore folks or the cost of living for onshore.

Ok so most people put a wee bit of money away jist incase.

The living cost thing is shit IMO, my mate works offshore and lives in Lennoxtown so you dont have to live in aberdeen or thereabouts.

Which is what this comes down from the beginning, you carrying this prejudice around like the mental case you are.

I asked it as a question, one line on a thread about oil. FFs You bring in creationism and neocons like a wing bat nut case based on your wee prejudices about me and not for the first time you have made a prize tit out yourself doing this.

You see things that don't exist. I'd be so glad if you put me ignore as your are ultra fukking tedious for me.

The point I was making was that one of the main ways it gets pushed at the moment is by people following those lines, but you chose to take that personally. Not my problem.

Just heard from my best freind who works onshore for my company,,, hes not on big money whats so ever,,, him and his department have been told that they are paid off as of monday,,, he has two kids under the age of 2 i am just gutted for him he has no idea what to do,,,, so when all you s are sitting with a sense of delight at the oil industries plight hust remember not everyone is offshore and on big bucks,,, it effects the "small guys" also

The living cost thing is shit IMO, my mate works offshore and lives in Lennoxtown so you dont have to live in aberdeen or thereabouts.

. Edited by SMcoolJ

So if you read my post again, you will see that the cost of living comment I made clearly applied to onshore folks. Not sure why you mention your mate in Lennoxtown. Also, on what basis do you assert that it's "sh1t" that the cost of living in Aberdeen is high??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35378894

10000 jobs go at an oil services provider.

I've always been amazed by the guys who work off Aberdeen yet live in the Far East. Mental lifestyle

cheap lifestyle, likely no tax, and work pays for your flights

guys get flown from Australia to likes of Africa, Kazakhstan etc

I wouldn't be taking out a mortgage in this market - i was looking to buy last year in Cape Town, but parked the idea - exchange rates have made my money stretch further now

So if you read my post again, you will see that the cost of living comment I made clearly applied to onshore folks. Not sure why you mention your mate in Lennoxtown. Also, on what basis do you assert that it's "sh1t" that the cost of living in Aberdeen is high??

i was taking it as them living there when not on the rigs rather than living and working onshore. My point was that folk who work offshore dont have to live in aberdeen so the cost of living thing doesnt play into that as when they come off the rig they can live wherever.

Probably deviating a bit here, but one of the things that sticks in my throat a bit is the fact many offshore workers pay zero tax. Now, I understand why that is and the reasons, and of course it's up to the system and not the person. Just a bit annoying each January and July when I'm paying my tax bill that my friends are getting the same amount back in a tax rebate......when our families all use the NHS, education system etc etc. Would it not be fairer if for instance they at least paid half the amount of tax seeing as they are in the country for half the time?

i was taking it as them living there when not on the rigs rather than living and working onshore. My point was that folk who work offshore dont have to live in aberdeen so the cost of living thing doesnt play into that as when they come off the rig they can live wherever.

Ok, so you're still talking about offshore folks. I'm clearly linking the cost of living to onshore folks who I'd estimate to represent the significant percentage the people that live in Aberdeen.

Probably deviating a bit here, but one of the things that sticks in my throat a bit is the fact many offshore workers pay zero tax. Now, I understand why that is and the reasons, and of course it's up to the system and not the person. Just a bit annoying each January and July when I'm paying my tax bill that my friends are getting the same amount back in a tax rebate......when our families all use the NHS, education system etc etc. Would it not be fairer if for instance they at least paid half the amount of tax seeing as they are in the country for half the time?

So you're obviously talking about people who spend most of their time not in the UK or UK shores? Why would they have to pay tax if they aren't in the UK? Where's the benefit of them paying UK tax if they spend 60% of their life on a rig off the cost of Lagos?

Well, since you ask, for starters, you could stop whingin' and get on with it. I will be along with some more life advice in due course. :ok:

Well, I'm not whingin' and am just getting on with it as I (like everyone else) has very little choice.

Just wish I had the foresight of the boy to save money, who knew that was a thing?

Bit of common sense is all it takes.

Something you appear to be lacking in.

How much should I be saving please? This is all very confusing for me.

Edited by deecie

Ok, so you're still talking about offshore folks. I'm clearly linking the cost of living to onshore folks who I'd estimate to represent the significant percentage the people that live in Aberdeen.

Aye was a mix up, understand what you are saying but again if thats the careee you choose etc then you have to weigh these things up i guess. Its like someone moving to london and saying itx expensive, you already knew that.

Well, I'm not whingin' and am just getting on with it as I (like everyone else) has very little choice.

Just wish I had the foresight of the boy to save money, who knew that was a thing?

Something you appear to be lacking in.

How much should I be saving please? This is all very confusing for me.

Sorry i dont have the common sense to advise. You will just have to work it out yourself

So you're obviously talking about people who spend most of their time not in the UK or UK shores? Why would they have to pay tax if they aren't in the UK? Where's the benefit of them paying UK tax if they spend 60% of their life on a rig off the cost of Lagos?

I don't think it's fair that there are people who pay no tax anywhere. If you are away for 60% of the time then pay your rate of tax minus 60%.

I don't think it's fair that there are people who pay no tax anywhere. If you are away for 60% of the time then pay your rate of tax minus 60%.

I'm not an expert and I only used the 60% figure for argument sake. I don't know what percentage of time is necessary for tax thresholds etc to apply. But I think a lot of these folks pay a mandatory hypo-tax to employers. There are benefits to working abroad as regards paying tax but it comes at a cost is all I'm saying. I don't think it's always as attractive a set up as us tax payers maybe think.

so if they were in trouble they wouldn't use consular services if they were in trouble? Where is their family? Kids at school or university? If they're part of UK society they pay UK tax.

They do pay tax. Their employer pays tax for them in their country it employment/work and this is treated as benefit in kind. Double taxation agreements then come into it. Are u suggesting they shouldn't be paying tax in the country they work and should pay Hmrc ?

I've been abroad 5 years but even if was in uk on paye I could get my tax as low as 10%.

so if they were in trouble they wouldn't use consular services if they were in trouble? Where is their family? Kids at school or university? If they're part of UK society they pay UK tax.

This is kinda how the tax rules have headed. Used to be 265 days out of country but now looking at substance of where your family live and where you own property. Guys will always to be able to use double taxation agreements and offset tax paid overseas even if informal. Lot of guys working in Africa getting tax reductions based on this.

That's a lot of trouble. Like has been stated, they do pay tax.

• 2 weeks later...