Oil - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Not that much of the new resources are unknown. They're now economically recoverable due to new technologies.

Abiotic oil is another pseudoscience argument pushed by creationists / neocons. Can you explain any rational mechanism by which it would work? Without being wishy washy.

And let me clarify my previous answer - I should have said that the idea that biological oil production is in some way creating massive new fields or replenishing current ones is an idea being pushed by creationists and other ####tards. There are ways to create small amounts of oil from bio processes in nature, but as per the evidence provided by thplinth, the idea that it is somehow producing massive new fields is completely discredited. Edited by biffer

I read a russian report on the theory,,, very interesting and convincing,, i put it to a freind who is in the exploration sude of the industry and he basically said its anyones guess how it formed,,, he did say that oil is found at greater depths than organic matter is found so that its self tells a story

You got a link to the report. The Russians were especially big on this theory I read and the US scientist Gold I believe revived a lot of their work. I have always found the theory quite plausible. We really have little idea about what goes on deep in the earth. They only recently theorized that there are huge underground 'oceans' or water reserves bigger than those on the surface.

Biffer you came out with the same ridiculous creationist shit when I posted that article about humans being possibly a hybrid. It was clear then as it is now you never bothered to read it or research it first. It is a lazy prejudice and stereotype you deploy when something seems to contradict your tedious orthodoxy.

Biffer you came out with the same ridiculous creationist shit when I posted that article about humans being possibly a hybrid. It was clear then as it is now you never bothered to read it or research it first. It is a lazy prejudice and stereotype you deploy when something seems to contradict your tedious orthodoxy.

Aye, whatever. You seem to have this nascent desire to find something wrong with current theories and can't believe anything accepted is true. So you post BS and then get your nose out of joint when someone calls you on it.

Just as a side note regarding oil workers pay yes they might get paid night than average but they also have vastly higher dangers in there commute i.e. the flight out to the rig, the lack of freedom when it comes to time off, the confines of the rig itself. Yes the pay is good but not everyone can put up with the confines that working offshore comes with.

On the abiotic front its something I've talked about for years but always been put down about it but it does seem to be getting talked about more and more.

Just as a side note regarding oil workers pay yes they might get paid night than average but they also have vastly higher dangers in there commute i.e. the flight out to the rig, the lack of freedom when it comes to time off, the confines of the rig itself. Yes the pay is good but not everyone can put up with the confines that working offshore comes with.

I don't by this argument. We all take risks both commuting And in work places.

2014 25 people died going about their business (let's say commuting) on Aberdeenshire roads alone www.digbybrown.co.uk/solicitors/news-main/why-are-aberdeenshire-roads-the-most-dangerous-roads-in-scotland that's about 0.01% if the population of Aberdeenshire die on the roads each yr.

200 across Scotland www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-33164476

Offshore commuting 38 deaths 2002-2013 so less than 4/y on average (I'm sure other statistics can be found) http://m.heraldscotland.com/news/13120826.Probe_to_compare_UK_safety_record_in_North_Sea_with_other_countries/

This equates to some 0.08% of the offshore working population Dieing per yr.

I know the groups aren't mutually exclusive, but a resident of Aberdeenshire is more likely to die driving to work in a year than a rigger going offshore.

As for work place accidents, take a look at farmers for some similar death statistics. 55 in similar time frame https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.hse.gov.uk/scotland/pdf/farm-safety-partnership.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjE7MCsibzKAhURhhoKHW4EBkwQFggjMAI&usg=AFQjCNE6bda8h7jAKN3ZNPJxMA4WCcqIgw&sig2=SFUduGJtwPaufH8LT3vgzQ

Per head probably similar there's 52k working offshore http://oilandgasuk.co.uk/report-shows-increase-in-number-of-uk-offshore-oil-and-gas-workers-including-more-young-people/

And 65 k farming http://www.nfus.org.uk/farming-facts

It's no urinary contest, and work place deaths is not something I want to belittle, but I can't see how rigs are substantially more risky than the day to day activities if other workers /commuters

Additionally, What are these confines when at home? Certainly isn't drink related or going away.

You do realise that different people have different expenses, if you have been safe in your job for years and make a good loving then the chances are that you will be confident to borrow in line with your salery,so you cant just presume that people in good paying jobs have money saved,,,as someone who works in the industry it is horrible to sit and watch people lose their jobs with the worry which goes a long with it, i know a lad who bought a house in october for 300k + only for him to be told hes getting paid off at the start of the year,, im gutted for him

Yes, but anyone working in oil must realise its always going to be a volatile market thay can change. They get paid way over the odds of normal jobs for a reason. Canny be that hard to put a wee bit awau for a rainy day, maybe like an "oil fund" type idea.

Its a shame for the guy but to afford a 300k house he must have been making some good money.

You cant work in that industry and exoect plain sailig all the time.

Re going offshore I fully understand a premium being paid to entice people out to work in that environment.

Although plenty of onshore jobs in oil and associated industries have also been paying very well. I was hearing about a guy being laid off from an oil company down in London, just took out a £500k mortgage. Ouch!

On the abiotic front its something I've talked about for years but always been put down about it but it does seem to be getting talked about more and more.

No one is forcing them to work offshore.

I was on an oil rig last week for 8 days,I always wanted to try it and see how it was.

It was shit.

I decided it wasn't the life for me.

Everyone has that choice.

Yes, but anyone working in oil must realise its always going to be a volatile market thay can change. They get paid way over the odds of normal jobs for a reason. Canny be that hard to put a wee bit awau for a rainy day, maybe like an "oil fund" type idea.

Its a shame for the guy but to afford a 300k house he must have been making some good money.

If only we all had your wisdom.

Please let me know how to live my life going forward.

Aye, whatever. You seem to have this nascent desire to find something wrong with current theories and can't believe anything accepted is true. So you post BS and then get your nose out of joint when someone calls you on it.

Yeah thought so. You are nothing more than a bigot. Ask you anything and you cant explain it without retreating into your excuse about needing to follow the maths. You made a khunt of yourself yet again with your creationist remarks showing just how prejudiced you are. This is why I ignore you.

1F7F4583-E00D-4B18-94BE-A6AEA1CFD434_zps

Anyone mind all the folk all over the web going on and on about "Peak Oil" a while ago. Gone a bit quiet now.

Is there any chance oil creation is (also) abiotic? Seems odd how they just keep finding more and more of it despite the fact we are consuming it like never before. We were supposed to have run out by now yet here we are in a glut.

FFS you are such an ar$ehole Biffer.

I know at least a dozen oilmen who live here in the Philippines (Fly In Fly Out).

Over 50% of them have lost their job in the last 9 months.

None of them are greeting as they were sane enough to save up a good wedge during the good times.

Here is the academic background of Thomas Gold the American scientist who was interested in Abiotic Oil.

Thomas Gold (May 22, 1920 – June 22, 2004)[2] was an Austrian-born astrophysicist, a professor of astronomy at Cornell University, a member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, and a Fellow of the Royal Society (London).[2] Gold was one of three young Cambridge scientists who in the 1950s proposed the now mostly abandoned 'steady state' hypothesis of the universe. Gold's work crossed academic and scientific boundaries, into biophysics, astronomy, aerospace engineering, and geophysics.

Now the theory might be out of favour but to call it pseudo science is quite something.

Tell us Biffer oh great TAMB physicist and decider of what is and isn't science , how do your qualifications, achievements and position in the scientific community compare to the "pseudo scientist" Professor Gold?

Let's hear it h mighty one? You've got my devoted attention now.

Here is the academic background of Thomas Gold the American scientist who was interested in Abiotic Oil.

Thomas Gold (May 22, 1920 – June 22, 2004)[2] was an Austrian-born astrophysicist, a professor of astronomy at Cornell University, a member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, and a Fellow of the Royal Society (London).[2] Gold was one of three young Cambridge scientists who in the 1950s proposed the now mostly abandoned 'steady state' hypothesis of the universe. Gold's work crossed academic and scientific boundaries, into biophysics, astronomy, aerospace engineering, and geophysics.

Now the theory might be out of favour but to call it pseudo science is quite something.

Tell us Biffer oh great TAMB physicist and decider of what is and isn't science , how do your qualifications, achievements and position in the scientific community compare to the "pseudo scientist" Professor Gold?

Let's hear it h mighty one? You've got my devoted attention now.

Hang on a minute while I go and pick your dummy up for you........

There we go.

I'd heard of professor Gold, took me a minute to remember where, and it's because his name is usually the second one which comes up alongside Fred Hoyle wrt steady state theory of the universe. That's led to a fair number of people doing the same thing to him as happened to Hoyle and discarding his work as wrong. It was wrong (spectacularly) in the area of a steady state, but he was a brilliant pioneer in radio astronomy and did a lot of truly remarkable work.

However he's also a very good example of someone who is brilliantly exceptional in one field who tries to move their brilliance into another field, forgets that it took twenty or thirty years to achieve that level in their original field and then reckons they can do the same in another field off a few years of study. It's reminiscent of Linus Pauling and his medical research (Prof Paul Offit summed up Pauling's work by saying he was so remarkably right in one field that he got two Nobel Prizes and so remarkably wrong in another that it could be described as quackery).

I'm not going to argue about this, given that the link you posted yourself in the first place said that large scale natural biological production of oil has been discredited.

As for me, I'm not a scientist, but I work with scientists and engineers who develop tech that's years away from the market and have done for a few years now in a variety of fields across Physics, Astronomy, Environmental Science, Biology, Energy and Brewing.I've never claimed to be an expert, because I'm not. However every time I challenge you, you resort to personal attack, so quite frankly I'm not going to enter any deep debate with you as you only seem to be interested in talking to people who say 'oooh, that's interesting thplinth, aren't you smart for educating us all'.

Edited by biffer