North Korea........at It Again - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

North Korea........at It Again

I do wonder just how far along the nk nuclear programme is. Ok they seem to have the delivery systems but as to the war heads that's a different matter. Could there be a lot of noise when in fact they are barely able to split the atom

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

You don't need nuclear weapons to take out a nuclear threat.   The Stuxnet Worm was used to sabotage Iran's nuclear program via Microsoft operated machinery.   Conventional weapons would work fine too, but be more controversial.

Anyway who will they demonise next when they remove their axis of evil?

Aye who made that Worm? Did it infect Fukashima power plant too?

I don't know much about it.

Good question phart.   How did it know only to attack Iranian equipment?   I could not tell you whether theirs was unique.   Maybe the attackers knew serial numbers or revisions of targeted equipment?

I remember hearing Norton guys telling how their anti-virus was 1st to nab it and them being impressed about its sophistication.   I'd guess the CIA, someone would need to know what equipment the Iranians were using.

15 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

You don't need nuclear weapons to take out a nuclear threat.   The Stuxnet Worm was used to sabotage Iran's nuclear program via Microsoft operated machinery.   Conventional weapons would work fine too, but be more controversial.

Anyway who will they demonise next when they remove their axis of evil?

Microsoft don't control machinery. Microsoft's Windows hosted Siemens software that was infected with code that changed function blocks inside their S7-400 controllers. If I remember correctly, these function blocks masked what was going on in the drives and allowed the code to speed centrifuges up without stopping so they got rekt.

I worked for Siemens at the time and was told the code used was amazing stuff, which was quite something coming from Siemens developers.

I've met loads of Iranians and can never quite see how they are demonised so much. 

7 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Good question phart.   How did it know only to attack Iranian equipment?   I could not tell you whether theirs was unique.   Maybe the attackers knew serial numbers or revisions of targeted equipment?

I remember hearing Norton guys telling how their anti-virus was 1st to nab it and them being impressed about its sophistication.   I'd guess the CIA, someone would need to know what equipment the Iranians were using.

Whoever it was infected USB memory sticks that have Siemens licences for their software. You need a licence for a lot of industrial software now. The licences are expensive so if you can get free ones then you take them.

From what I'm led to believe there was a news report from the plant and it showed a Siemens SCADA screen. On the screen there was a message saying the licence had expired and the system was shutting down. You get grace periods with licences. Who ever saw it suspected that they were using unlicensed software as there would have been an embargo on Iran at the time. So they now knew it was Siemens SCADA software and unlicensed. It wouldn't have taken them long to find out it was Siemens PLC controllers and motor drives, possibly all on Ethernet. Internet security in automation was still pretty young at the time.

A few unused certificates and they were in.

14 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Microsoft don't control machinery. Microsoft's Windows hosted Siemens software that was infected with code that changed function blocks inside their S7-400 controllers. If I remember correctly, these function blocks masked what was going on in the drives and allowed the code to speed centrifuges up without stopping so they got rekt.

I worked for Siemens at the time and was told the code used was amazing stuff, which was quite something coming from Siemens developers.

I've met loads of Iranians and can never quite see how they are demonised so much. 

It's because they don't want to use the American dollar. Links was about to drop it in favour of a good based economy then next thing you know gadaffi is bad man no1. Iraq wanted to drop the dollar and next thing we have the first gulf war. Syria wants away from the dollar and look what's happening there

20 hours ago, hunchy said:

It's because they don't want to use the American dollar. Links was about to drop it in favour of a good based economy then next thing you know gadaffi is bad man no1. Iraq wanted to drop the dollar and next thing we have the first gulf war. Syria wants away from the dollar and look what's happening there

I guess the West were a bit pissed when Iran threw the 7 sisters out, stopping them from getting virtually free oil and gas.