2016 Tamb Running Thread - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2016 Tamb Running Thread

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After getting into reasonable shape after Christmas, and then piling 5kg back on in the space of a few months, Im getting back on the running wagon. 3 half marathons in 2013, to none in 2014/2015. Pathetic.

So just signed up to do the Dundee Half in July, and entered ballot for London next year. Looking forward to picking up a couple of other races over the summer.

Ran the Highland Fling again on Saturday. Was looking for a PB and breaking 9h but a lot has happened since entry in October. A new job and moving back to Scotland has meant little to no training. So was absolutely amazed to come in just 23min slower than last year, even made the last checkpoint in the same time as last year. Would definitely recommend it if anyone is looking at moving up to a longer distance, and certainly value for money!

21 hours ago, College_Boy said:

Ran the Highland Fling again on Saturday. Was looking for a PB and breaking 9h but a lot has happened since entry in October. A new job and moving back to Scotland has meant little to no training. So was absolutely amazed to come in just 23min slower than last year, even made the last checkpoint in the same time as last year. Would definitely recommend it if anyone is looking at moving up to a longer distance, and certainly value for money!

Well done...what an amazing turnout for such a tough event.  This is certainly something i would look at doing but at present experiencing so many issues around a dodgy ankle / foot.......barely doing any running at present as it gets worse the more I run.  I have Half Arranman in June then IM Copenhagen to get through so concerned I am not able to do much training in advance of those.  i have entered the Glencoe Marathon in Oct but really need to enjoy running again without pain for that

21 hours ago, College_Boy said:

Well done,  I ran in the relay, ran the Drymen to Rowerdennan leg. Really enjoyed it, Balmaha to Rowerdennan was quite hard going. Maybe contemplate full fling for next year. Good to see Donnie Campbell and Beth Pascall smash the men and women records.

2 hours ago, caledonian1 said:

Well done...what an amazing turnout for such a tough event.  This is certainly something i would look at doing but at present experiencing so many issues around a dodgy ankle / foot.......barely doing any running at present as it gets worse the more I run.  I have Half Arranman in June then IM Copenhagen to get through so concerned I am not able to do much training in advance of those.  i have entered the Glencoe Marathon in Oct but really need to enjoy running again without pain for that

If your fit by October then that's when the entries open for next years fling - but you need to be quick 1000 entries went in a matter of minutes this year.

1 hour ago, Jon Cutler said:

Well done,  I ran in the relay, ran the Drymen to Rowerdennan leg. Really enjoyed it, Balmaha to Rowerdennan was quite hard going. Maybe contemplate full fling for next year. Good to see Donnie Campbell and Beth Pascall smash the men and women records.

Balmaha to Rowerdennan is hard but the stretch out of Rowerdennan is really tough mentally - wide hilly forestry road that goes on for miles. After that though the next 10 miles are fun with narrow woodland tracks. The less said about the last 12miles the better!

What team were you running for and time did you run for your leg?

Edited by College_Boy

• 4 weeks later...

Email update on the London ballot...

if you entered the ballot for next year’s race, you were part of a record 253,930 UK applicants. Look out for the ballot results in October, when you’ll discover if you’ve secured a place on the Start Line in April 2017. Best of luck!

I've not been on here for a while (not even sure I've been on since Seville marathon in Feb), but thought I'd let you know that I did do the Keswick Mountain Festival 50k (and the 5k the day before as a warm-up).

Trained it fairly naively but just wanted to get round, and did so in 7:52:35, happy enough with that given that although I found it tough, I enjoyed it - signed up for the Hardmoors 30 on New Years day already too :)

ewanultra.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Few disappointing races now for me.

Baker Hughes, Edinburgh Half and Beach 10k have gone poorly.

Anyone been keeping an eye on the 401 Challenge?

Unfortunately I've not been able to join in with that as it has passed through this area.

Photo the guy posted on facebook the other day looks a bit worrying.

I seen a few signs for the guy doing the 401 challenge when running Edinburgh a few weeks ago.

I missed races last year through injury but managed the half in Edinburgh. So signed up to do Islay and Scottish half in August and September. 

Had a great weekend of running staring with parkrun then the 1st Westhill 10k where I got my 3rd fastest 10k time on what was not a flat course then topped off with the Dunnydeer Hill race. Buckled after all that :crazy:

Well done on your Westhill time - absolutely flying! I really enjoyed it, other than being annoyed at myself for not continuing the sub 50 pace for the last 2 km. I thought it was well organised (loads of marshals), a decent course and a friendly supportive experience all the way round. Definitely one to come back for next year...

Edited by neilser
sp

35 minutes ago, neilser said:

Well done on your Westhill time - absolutely flying! I really enjoyed it, other than being annoyed at myself for not continuing the sub 50 pace for the last 2 km. I thought it was well organised (loads of marshals), a decent course and a friendly supportive experience all the way round. Definitely one to come back for next year...

I thought it was great. I really liked the fact hey had the guys on bikes slowing the traffic. The marshals were really good and the whole thing seemed to run like clockwork.

Thought the route was lovely too. Thought you must be kicking yourself being so close to sub 50 but you will get there.

Anyone been following Rob 'Marathon Man UK' Young in his attempt to beat the world record for running across the USA?

General opinion seems to be that he done most of the 'running' sitting with his feet up in the back of a camper van.

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/runner-attempting-trans-america-record-denies-cheating-allegations

Anybody done the Loch Ness marathon before.

I'm almost certainly going to do it. But before I do, am I right in saying that you

A - have to register and collect your number in Inverness on the Saturday.

B - have to get the busses they lay on from Inverness down to the start at daft o'clock in the morning.

Accodomation in Inverness on the Saturday night is few and far between - and pretty pricey as a consequence. Would there be anything to stop me staying in Fort William the night before and making my way up from there (and thus not using the presumably shut section of the road). The website says, and I quote, " Due to logistical reasons and route access it is impossible for runners to travel to the Start independently. "

8 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Anybody done the Loch Ness marathon before.

I'm almost certainly going to do it. But before I do, am I right in saying that you

A - have to register and collect your number in Inverness on the Saturday.

B - have to get the busses they lay on from Inverness down to the start at daft o'clock in the morning.

Accodomation in Inverness on the Saturday night is few and far between - and pretty pricey as a consequence. Would there be anything to stop me staying in Fort William the night before and making my way up from there (and thus not using the presumably shut section of the road). The website says, and I quote, " Due to logistical reasons and route access it is impossible for runners to travel to the Start independently. "

I did it a few years ago and we had a B&B near the bus pick up point.

we picked up our numbers on Saturday evening and got the early bus out to the start line. think we were there for around an hour before the race.

not sure about getting to the start line, didn't look like anyone had made their own way there.

You can't drive to the start line, you have to get the bus (or walk?).

Theres other pick-up points other than Inverness though, I can't remember them off hand though.

Its a good race though, but has a right of a hill in the middle.

On 20 June 2016 at 1:20 PM, deecie said:

You can't drive to the start line, you have to get the bus (or walk?).

Theres other pick-up points other than Inverness though, I can't remember them off hand though.

Its a good race though, but has a right of a hill in the middle.

Think Fort Augustos might be one. 

1 hour ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Decided to stay in Fort William, and then will head up to Fort Augustus, to catch the bus at a far reasonable time of 08:40am

The bus wasn't as bad as I feared, I managed to sleep most of the way.

4 hours ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Decided to stay in Fort William, and then will head up to Fort Augustus, to catch the bus at a far reasonable time of 08:40am

We met folk who did that last year as it was easier