2016 Tamb Running Thread - Page 15 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2016 Tamb Running Thread

1 hour ago, phart said:

I hate running the street, when i was running outside i first ran round the car park of the closed sports centre (was about 400m) then ran round various rugby pitches near my house. Running the streets or the canal is just not something i want to do.

I liked running the 10k though though, it was weird that there was literally thousands of people lining the route , covid has everyone bored i think!

I would hate to run round residential streets. I have some great country roads and trails and a decent head torch 😊

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/12/2021 at 12:23 PM, Lamia said:

I would hate to run round residential streets. I have some great country roads and trails and a decent head torch 😊

You're really lucky in that respect.

One 5k route I do from my house has me running past a KFC which has to be one of the most rank rancid smells of any fast food outlet, I don't know how people eat that shit, I've got to hold my breath going by it so I don't smell it.

8 hours ago, chaff said:

You're really lucky in that respect.

One 5k route I do from my house has me running past a KFC which has to be one of the most rank rancid smells of any fast food outlet, I don't know how people eat that shit, I've got to hold my breath going by it so I don't smell it.

I know - I am not sure I would have taken up running if I didn't have the places to run that I have.

On 11/11/2021 at 8:29 PM, chaff said:

I hate running in the dark. I have glass ankles and always terrified that I'm going to break an ankle in the dark.

I've just signed up for the great Scottish run in Glasgow next year, 10k. Done with half marathons.

I also got my fastest time at parkrun last weekend in about 2 years, 25:43.  

Congrats on the PB.

I went out for an 8 mile run yesterday, but my shin splits were bothering me within the first 5km and I had to stop a couple of times to stretch them out. I got round the rest of my route very slowly in about 1hour 20m, but I was happy just to do the miles. I probably wont run again for another week and just focus on healing and doing the exercises to improve my ankle and foot strength so I don't have to constantly deal with injuries.

2 hours ago, Freeedom said:

Congrats on the PB.

I went out for an 8 mile run yesterday, but my shin splits were bothering me within the first 5km and I had to stop a couple of times to stretch them out. I got round the rest of my route very slowly in about 1hour 20m, but I was happy just to do the miles. I probably wont run again for another week and just focus on healing and doing the exercises to improve my ankle and foot strength so I don't have to constantly deal with injuries.

I've never experienced shin splints but I'm told it's agony

8 minutes ago, chaff said:

It is a broken leg basically! Stress hairline fractures due to running too much or being too fat or both. I had them. 😀

edit: probably not to the point of fractures but it is sore as fuck.

Edited by thplinth

14 minutes ago, thplinth said:

It is a broken leg basically! Stress hairline fractures due to running too much or being too fat or both. I had them. 😀

edit: probably not to the point of fractures but it is sore as fuck.

You don't strike me as a runner ya fat bastard 😂

24 minutes ago, chaff said:

It can be very painful yeah, but it is more frustrating just not being able to run because of the injury. It's to do with micro muscle tears along the shin bone and can be caused by poor running form, a lack of flexibility or strength in the foot and calf area or just not warming up properly in addition to just running too much.

I'm 170lb and about 5'11 so certainly not overweight, it can happen to anyone.

Not normally no. I usually have lunch around midday and then go for a run sometime between 5-7 so wondering if it is actually lack of food than eating too soon before the run. I never get it on my morning runs and I normally have a light snack 1+ hours before them. 

1 hour ago, ALBANACH said:

Not normally no. I usually have lunch around midday and then go for a run sometime between 5-7 so wondering if it is actually lack of food than eating too soon before the run. I never get it on my morning runs and I normally have a light snack 1+ hours before them. 

Try eating a yogurt before you go out. Or something else soothing is what someone suggested to me when I asked them.

• 2 weeks later...

Meant to say did Berlin parkrun in 26:01, gutted, but as it was my second time i got a pb

You had to show your COVID passport and were given a paper wristband to wear before you ran. No barcode, no passport, no wristband no time

• 1 month later...

I registered to this website a couple of months ago. I am not a proper runner so I like this guys blog as he isnt too serious , one of my work colleagues knows him.  He might actually be somone on here 😁

Posting the link in case anyone is interested. He started it in November so its worth going back and reading the blog chronologically..

https://jamiecurrie.substack.com/?utm_campaign=pub&utm_medium=web

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Did my first park run yesterday after a recent bout of COVID.  5k in 31:57.

I’m 57 so no spring chicken but I’m sure I get down to 30 mins with a bit of application. 

That's a great time! Well done.

14 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Did my first park run yesterday after a recent bout of COVID.  5k in 31:57.

I’m 57 so no spring chicken but I’m sure I get down to 30 mins with a bit of application. 

Well done, that's good going.

30 mins is totally achievable 

17 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Cheers for that. The fastest time in the run was 17:15. Pretty amazing. 

At my home parkrun Strathclyde, the fastest guy was 14:53. He was the fastest parkrunner in Scotland on Saturday.

He was going like a locomotive.

Edited by chaff

4 minutes ago, chaff said:

At my home parkrun Strathclyde, the fastest guy was 14:53. He was the fastest parkrunner in Scotland on Saturday.

He was going like a locomotive.

My mates son is a good runner 800/1500 (won the millenium mile race at stirling uni this summer) and races cross country in the winter. The Scottish championships had something like a 7km hilly course in the mud and they did it in just over 20 mins. I was like WTF.

Under 15 mins is crazy fast. The guy I'm talking about rocked up to the Edinburgh park run earlier in the year and he was 45 seconds slower than that time.

Mental.

4 hours ago, chaff said:

I don't think I could do that pace for 200m never mind 5 k

Aye think it's beyond my top speed!

basically 20 km/h . I was doing 18 km/h when doing my 12 sets of 20 second strides when training last year.