2016 Tamb Running Thread - Page 14 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2016 Tamb Running Thread

Saw a little bit of the London marathon earlier. The commentator was talking about how runners get through the last few miles , having to turn their mind to anything that will take away the exhaustion whilst still focusing on the race.

I have to try and focus my mind like this doing a 5k, how on earth do people get through 26 miles. Even at my youngest and fittest I could not even contemplate running that distance. Anyone on here completed a marathon? 

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/3/2021 at 5:40 PM, TDYER63 said:

Saw a little bit of the London marathon earlier. The commentator was talking about how runners get through the last few miles , having to turn their mind to anything that will take away the exhaustion whilst still focusing on the race.

I have to try and focus my mind like this doing a 5k, how on earth do people get through 26 miles. Even at my youngest and fittest I could not even contemplate running that distance. Anyone on here completed a marathon? 

You heard of ultra running? One of my nephews ran a marathon a day for fifty days last year, finishing with two back to back marathons on the fiftieth day. (Averaging about 4 hours 10 minutes). He just ran the North East 250 last month, setting the fastest known time at just under 66 hours. And his younger brother ran the North Coast 500 back in July, completing it in under six days. That was 19-20 hours a day on feet and 3-4 hours kip in the back of a hired van. It was actually Wilf fae Swindon that supported him on that madness... 

Edited by Flat Earth
Typo correction

On 10/3/2021 at 5:27 PM, phart said:

Aye went alright. 54:40. Ran it pretty even pace last 2k were a bit faster. Apparently it's a bit of a nightmare course hill wise. Was really hot I just ran with the 55 minute pacer mostly.

First time running in a large group too was so pretty weird also a lot of folk watching, town must be starved of entertainment.

Nice one phart! Thats pretty damn good.

4 minutes ago, chaff said:

Do you run @Flat Earth

Now and again young man. Not as much as pre covid, but hoping to build back up again... Happy birthday by the way.

7 minutes ago, Flat Earth said:

Now and again young man. Not as much as pre covid, but hoping to build back up again... Happy birthday by the way.

I've got dramathon in 2 weeks.

Been really enjoying being back at parkrun

On 10/4/2021 at 10:10 PM, Flat Earth said:

You heard of ultra running? One of my nephews ran a marathon a day for fifty days last year, finishing with two back to back marathons on the fiftieth day. (Averaging about 4 hours 10 minutes). He just ran the North East 250 last month, setting the fastest known time at just under 66 hours. And his younger brother ran the North Coast 500 back in July, completing it in under six days. That was 19-20 hours a day on feet and 3-4 hours kip in the back of a hired van. It was actually Wilf fae Swindon that supported him on that madness... 

Never heard of ultra running, I feel exhausted just reading the post 😂

What a fantastic achievement. It amazes me what the human body can produce with good nutrition, training and determination. 

19 minutes ago, bonzo said:

A mate of mine used to do ultra running, he ran the west highland way non stop. I can't remember how long it took him but 26 hours comes to mind, will need to ask him the next time I see him. 

I think the record is 14 hours. Utter madness

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else still running outdoors? It's getting harder to go out for a run after work when it's pitch black and pissing down outside, but I'm still going out when I can.

Dealing with shin splints right now too, but im doing some exercises to sort that out and I've bought compression socks.

1 minute ago, Freeedom said:

Anyone else still running outdoors? It's getting harder to go out for a run after work when it's pitch black and pissing down outside, but I'm still going out when I can.

Dealing with shin splints right now too, but im doing some exercises to sort that out and I've bought compression socks.

I've started going to the gym again, so just running on treadmill in there. Keep myself ticking over the winter months. Go 4 times run for 30 mins at the end of my workout. My right hip flexor has been really tight sometimes. I've started doing stretches daily as well.

6 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

I can't remember the last time I was i a gym. Running outside is always preferable to the dreadmill even in the dark and shit weather

I have a gym membership but i haven't gone yet, I went 3-4 times a week before the pandemic hit but I just feel a bit reluctant going back. I know that once I start going it will be fine though and I'll get into the habit of it.

I want to do a marathon by next summer so I will need to keep myself going through the winter whether it is in the gym or hitting the road. I enjoy running to keep my mental health in check as much as it is about fitness and setting goals, I never regret going out even if the run doesn't go well.

I hate running in the dark. I have glass ankles and always terrified that I'm going to break an ankle in the dark.

I've just signed up for the great Scottish run in Glasgow next year, 10k. Done with half marathons.

I also got my fastest time at parkrun last weekend in about 2 years, 25:43.  

16 hours ago, Freeedom said:

Funny, was going to ask the same question yesterday but didn’t get the chance.

I am wfh during Cop26 so finding it easy to get out as can go any lunchtime and the weather hasn’t been too bad, still very mild. 
During the rest of the winter I am going to wfh one day a week,  will check forecast in advance and choose a day that looks dry. Will go out at the weekend too, going back to a gym will be a last resort. 

I am not used to running during the day midweek, I am getting a lot of encouragement from dog walkers on the cycle path, I am regularly getting told ‘ you are doing well’. Which really means the exact opposite, it means. ‘ poor old burd is trying her hardest’. 

I do think though that what you look likes changes folks perception a bit. There are a few young girls go out running that look very impressive even  though they arent that fast either, but they are young, tall and slim, good posture, have matching  gear, baseball cap and trendy earphones.
I , on the other hand,  am not tall and slim, am hunched over like Quasimodo, dressed in Primarks finest and have no earphones as I haven’t worked out how to listen to spotify without wifi. 

Edited by TDYER63

I hate running the street, when i was running outside i first ran round the car park of the closed sports centre (was about 400m) then ran round various rugby pitches near my house. Running the streets or the canal is just not something i want to do.

I liked running the 10k though though, it was weird that there was literally thousands of people lining the route , covid has everyone bored i think!