2016 Tamb Running Thread - Page 13 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2016 Tamb Running Thread

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Its good to push yourself when you feel you could step up a gear. I ran when i was in my 20’s , not in a running club , just like I am doing now, but I did challenge myself more and used a stop watch. I did the 10k Race for Life in 45 mins which was the only actual organised race i ever ran , and that was my best time. Its true that other runners help you lift your level. 

These days I just glance at the clock on my cooker on my way out if I remember , and again when i get back home. I have a built in oven and a separate built in microwave that sit next to each other and have individual clocks. The times on them are about 3 mins apart.  I usually forget which clock I check on my way out  and so just pick the one with the best time when i get back 😁

I just cannot seem to pick up any extra speed. I literally cannot get a wider stride, I have no flexibility whatsoever in my hips. I look like I am running fast as my legs are moving quickly, but I am actually going absolutely nowhere 🙄

45 mins for a 10k is an extremely good time

35 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

45 mins for a 10k is an extremely good time

Well, it was 35 years ago now and the the only one time I did it that quick. I was living in Jersey and the race was around the bay, so completely flat. After running on my own all the time I seemed to get a boost from other people around. 

Just now, TDYER63 said:

Well, it was 35 years ago now and the the only one time I did it that quick. I was living in Jersey and the race was around the bay, so completely flat. After running on my own all the time I seemed to get a boost from other people around. 

Still impressive. I have run on and off over the years but I am back running regularly 3-4 times a week, my 5k time averages around 25 mins but I want to push that down closer to 20. I do one longer run a week of about six miles but I'd like to keep upping that mileage too.

15 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

There was a thread on here a few years ago, it was quite funny if I remember. 

I dont think for one minute you meant offence to Phart.  I am reading a book just now, Starter for Ten, its pretty funny , its about a guy who goes to to Uni and gets on the University Challenge team. Most folk imagine intelligent people to look look like people from University Challenge circa 1985. 

I was just laughing at your description of yourself .  
That said, you might look like that how the hell would I know 😁

There's an early 00's film of that book with James McAvoy and Alice Eve.  Watched it years ago but it was an OK watch from what I remember.

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

There's an early 00's film of that book with James McAvoy and Alice Eve.  Watched it years ago but it was an OK watch from what I remember.

I imagine it could translate quite well into a film, some books you just know would make a shit film, but I think this could be ok . That said,  a lot of the humour comes from what he is thinking in his head.
Will take a look at it after I have finished the book. 

18 hours ago, Freeedom said:

Still impressive. I have run on and off over the years but I am back running regularly 3-4 times a week, my 5k time averages around 25 mins but I want to push that down closer to 20. I do one longer run a week of about six miles but I'd like to keep upping that mileage too.

Good on you. You really need to go out at least 3 times a week to improve speed or distance , if you keep it up I am sure you will achieve those times. It is easy to get a bit obsessive with running or disappointed if you cant see an improvement, but it just depends how your body is on a particular day. 

Its weird how your body reacts sometimes. I was off for 2 weeks holiday and in Spain for one of those weeks, drinking alcohol  every night for 2 weeks  . I did no running for most of that time and thought it would be murder first time going back to it on Monday . It was Infact the easiest run I have done in a while. Almost had a glass of wine to celebrate 🙂

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Good on you. You really need to go out at least 3 times a week to improve speed or distance , if you keep it up I am sure you will achieve those times. It is easy to get a bit obsessive with running or disappointed if you cant see an improvement, but it just depends how your body is on a particular day. 

Its weird how your body reacts sometimes. I was off for 2 weeks holiday and in Spain for one of those weeks, drinking alcohol  every night for 2 weeks  . I did no running for most of that time and thought it would be murder first time going back to it on Monday . It was Infact the easiest run I have done in a while. Almost had a glass of wine to celebrate 🙂

A few years ago I had a weeks holiday in bigdosh Poland, ate and drank like a king, came home late Friday night, went to parkrun Saturday morning, got my pb.

16 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

11 hours ago, chaff said:

A few years ago I had a weeks holiday in bigdosh Poland, ate and drank like a king, came home late Friday night, went to parkrun Saturday morning, got my pb.

Also find this though tend to also find my recovery takes a little longer following a run after a wee break. Might be something to do with muscle memory, not sure!

13 hours ago, chaff said:

For a split second I had to think what ‘pb’ meant. As I mentioned before I have never been in a running club , I just went out myself, so not familiar with a lot of the terms. When I lived in Jersey I was out running one day and a bloke ran alongside me and started chatting. He was Scottish and was asking me where i ran , how often etc. He said ‘ I could train you and get you sub 40. ‘
I thought to myself , wtf,  this guy is trying to get me on steroids or something . I didnt know he was talking about my running time 🤣  I politely knocked him back and never saw him again.

To digress a little, fast forward a few years and I am back working in Scotland and on a works night out. I was talking to my supervisor and someone he knew came up to talk to him. It was this bloody guy from Jersey ! He was my supervisors pal. He had been working in Jersey the time we met. We had a laugh about it.

THEN , fast forward another few years, I had now left the company a couple of years  back and was watching a Jack Nicholson film one night at home. Near the beginning of the film there was a sort of military ball. All the officers were dancing with their wives/partners and the camera was moving round the hall. I said to my husband, ‘ that bloke looks like my old supervisor’. 
Can you believe it , it was him ! He had emigrated to Canada and become an actor 😁

What a small world . 

I was reading that thinking by the end of this story he's going to be your husband 😂

Have you signed up to parkrun?

It's a fantastic event every Saturday at 9:30 it's free and you can run, jog or walk it.

Where do you live? There'll be one close to you if you haven't already done one.

5 hours ago, shaggycoo said:

Also find this though tend to also find my recovery takes a little longer following a run after a wee break. Might be something to do with muscle memory, not sure!

I think I was still drunk and decided just to go for it

3 hours ago, chaff said:

I was reading that thinking by the end of this story he's going to be your husband 😂

Have you signed up to parkrun?

It's a fantastic event every Saturday at 9:30 it's free and you can run, jog or walk it.

Where do you live? There'll be one close to you if you haven't already done one.

😁 not a chance, that guy was way too interested in health and fitness to be married to me. Talking of which, there is not a hope in hell of getting me out my bed at a running event at 9.30 an on a Saturday. The only thing that keeps me dragging my backside out of bed at 6.30 am Mon-Fri  is the thought of a lie in at the weekend. 

Might consider it when i retire when I can get a lie in any day 😊

I have a 10k next Sunday on the advice given on the last page or 2 i'm away out to buy drink and have a curry tonight. Not even joking. Got to deliver bogrolls to my gran first though, she forgot to put them on the list today and i forgot to check just in case.

1 minute ago, chaff said:

Good luck fella, you looking at a time or just happy to be running?

Just happy to be running, my knee is pretty fucked and had a really nasty skin infection last 2 weeks, it's not even cleared up yet,

I was looking at 50 mins or below as it's a hilly course but no running for last 4 or 5 weeks so will just get around.

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, chaff said:

@phart How'd the linlithgow ten go?

Aye went alright. 54:40. Ran it pretty even pace last 2k were a bit faster. Apparently it's a bit of a nightmare course hill wise. Was really hot I just ran with the 55 minute pacer mostly.

First time running in a large group too was so pretty weird also a lot of folk watching, town must be starved of entertainment.