2016 Tamb Running Thread - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2016 Tamb Running Thread

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, College_Boy said:

I'm moving back up to Scotland in a few weeks time so hopefully the National will be on my race list for next year.

It'll be the first time since about 1993/4 that I'll have done it when it was held at Irvine and included a section of the beach!

It's apparently only going to be 10km next year.

I'd suggest going to the Doc and getting a referral to a podiatrist. However with NHS cutbacks the last time I went for new insoles I was given were nothing more than flimsy card but my problem is less severe now so not too much of a problem.

If he can afford it go private but the cost of decent insoles is a couple of hundred quid - plus podiatrist appointment costs.

When I first had shin splints I found I would run 5-10min in pain and then rest for a couple of min which released the pain/tension and I was then ok i.e. have a decent warm up.

On 17/02/2016 at 9:59 AM, College_Boy said:

That's a bit of a disappointment. The national should be the ultimate test of XC endurance.

Yes, apparently the men and women will both do 10k. Instead of 12 and 8. 

It's a bit of a minefield making a comment on these things when you are a man. But I don't see why the female race isn't just upped to 12k. Women do the same distances as men everywhere else, for some reason XC has been peculiar in this sense

On 24/02/2016 at 6:25 PM, Cove_Sheep said:

@Stewart_Aberdeen seems to think he might have an issue with shin splints.

Any suggestions for him?

Make an appointment with Peter Wilson at the Beechgrove Clinic on Midstocket Road.  I got my first orthotics from him 20 years ago and only replaced them last year.  I have not gone a single day without wearing them.

12 hours ago, caledonian1 said:

Make an appointment with Peter Wilson at the Beechgrove Clinic on Midstocket Road.  I got my first orthotics from him 20 years ago and only replaced them last year.  I have not gone a single day without wearing them.

What was the ballpark costs? I know there can be a vast variation in costs, with the most expensive not always providing the desired results, so its good to have a recommendation.

My training was going really well until I decided to sit down on something that wasn't there. My back isn't best pleased with me. I seem to have developed sciatica as a result so religiously doing back stretches. I am now inflicted with the cold too :(

1 hour ago, the_burger said:

That's a pity. Cracking day today as well, which makes a change. But no point attempting a XC with a cold

Feeling a bit better now than I was, but still think I've made the right decision.

I'm not exactly feeling 'well' and attempting this would likely have made me a lot worse and potentially ruined my preparations for Manchester.

6 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Feeling a bit better now than I was, but still think I've made the right decision.

I'm not exactly feeling 'well' and attempting this would likely have made me a lot worse and potentially ruined my preparations for Manchester.

Definitely - need to look at the bigger picture if your goal is Manchester. If it is Aberdeen metro you run with they had a big turnout, saw loads on the line. 

Course was nearly 13k this year, and I did 50:20 ish. Few muddy patches but otherwise great conditions. Nae flying tents haha. Good day out, next in line is alloa half

On 29/02/2016 at 1:02 PM, derekfaejapan said:

Did the Tokyo Marathon yesterday, time was 5:01:04.

Pretty disappointed with that as I'd hoped for 4:25ish. I didn't do enough training - Simple as that! It was also very sunny and warm yesterday so I'm sure that also played a factor. Got a nice medal though.

10157191_10156526799385335_5891047915212

That's a cracking medal. Some of the clunky shitee you get at races here is ridiculous, and I end up throwing most of them away because of it.

Well done on the marathon

On 3/1/2016 at 0:18 AM, the_burger said:

That's a cracking medal. Some of the clunky shitee you get at races here is ridiculous, and I end up throwing most of them away because of it.

Well done on the marathon

Thanks, much appreciated!

Cheers! That was my 4th Tokyo Marathon in 5 years and that medal is much better than the others!

Applying for three more marathons here this year, Osaka, Kobe and Saitama...Hopefully get one or two of them.