2016 Tamb Running Thread - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2016 Tamb Running Thread

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did the Santa Pola Half-Marathon last Sunday. Slow time (I've had a bad time with injury and laziness over the past six months) and it was sunny and hot, but really enjoyed it anyway. Nice seaside town (about 10 miles south of Alicante) and a surprisingly big field of about 10,000. Well organised and a very friendly atmosphere, all for an entry fee of £20. Highly recommended.

I've just signed up to do the Grangemouth 10k I've heard it's not that exciting but as a novice it's a good one to start as it's pretty flat.

I'm going to book into this as well. Fast and flat apparently, so ideal if you are just starting out or are going for a pb

National XC in a couple of weeks time. 12k in the mud at callander park, hopefully not as bad as last year weather wise. A few actual blades of grass would be welcome

That was brilliant fun last year! I think we got the 'best' of the weather but the worst underfoot conditions of the day.

If I'd been any quicker, I'd have been taken out by a flying tent though!

Really looking forward to this.

Jon - you need to think why you are needing a rain jacket. Is it really to keep you dry or just to keep you slightly warmer?

I have a fairly reasonable quality 'breathable' jacket (I think its a Marmot Precip which I only bought as a race kit list required a waterproof jacket with taped seams) but really once you are running the inside gets so wet that all it does is keep you warm. Even just a pre-race warm up and its wet. Good for up in the hills when the weather turns cold and windy.

I also have a lightweight Montane Minimus thing that folds down to the size of an apple (actually its a womans size bought off E-bay for £15 but does the job). Its not really waterproof but keeps the worst off and the wind out.

Montane and OMM get a good name in fell/ultra running circles.

That was brilliant fun last year! I think we got the 'best' of the weather but the worst underfoot conditions of the day.

If I'd been any quicker, I'd have been taken out by a flying tent though!

Really looking forward to this.

I think that might have been our club's tent, which blew away during the senior men's race :lol:

It meant that my bag, which had all of my dry clothes and towel etc. was absolutely soaked through when I finished :cry:

The rain was just bonkers during the day. And you can't really avoid it because they don't have facilitites. Think I was scunnered before I even started the race, then felt like death all of the way round. Some of the other guys really enjoyed it but I was just having one of those days. Obviosuly I am going back for more though!

National XC in a couple of weeks time. 12k in the mud at callander park, hopefully not as bad as last year weather wise. A few actual blades of grass would be welcome

Ran 10k on the trails around the park last night, very muddy at parts. I think they've changed the course from last year, park was wrecked after it.

On 2/11/2016 at 7:34 AM, Jon Cutler said:

Ran 10k on the trails around the park last night, very muddy at parts. I think they've changed the course from last year, park was wrecked after it.

They've put the course back to the old one apparently.

Means I'll get to see what this hill folk go on about is made of.

On 10/02/2016 at 10:31 AM, College_Boy said:

Jon - you need to think why you are needing a rain jacket. Is it really to keep you dry or just to keep you slightly warmer?

I have a fairly reasonable quality 'breathable' jacket (I think its a Marmot Precip which I only bought as a race kit list required a waterproof jacket with taped seams) but really once you are running the inside gets so wet that all it does is keep you warm. Even just a pre-race warm up and its wet. Good for up in the hills when the weather turns cold and windy.

I also have a lightweight Montane Minimus thing that folds down to the size of an apple (actually its a womans size bought off E-bay for £15 but does the job). Its not really waterproof but keeps the worst off and the wind out.

Montane and OMM get a good name in fell/ultra running circles.

Cheers I look in to these 1s. I've got Montane one just now but it's only really useful for light showers, not the snow I got caught in on a run on Saturday.

Edited by Jon Cutler