Minimum Price For Alcohol - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Minimum Price For Alcohol

Can anyone work out why the SNP are pushing for a minimum alcohol price of 50p a unit instead of increasing tax on alcohol?

Increasing tax would mean that not only would alcohol become more expensive which would achieve the aim of hopefully reducing demand through price out would also raise more money for the govt and allow pubs and shops to compete.

Can anyone work out why the SNP are pushing for a minimum alcohol price of 50p a unit instead of increasing tax on alcohol?

Increasing tax would mean that not only would alcohol become more expensive which would achieve the aim of hopefully reducing demand through price out would also raise more money for the govt and allow pubs and shops to compete.

Have they the power to do this? :unsure:

I don't think it's just the SNP that are pushing for it, from memory it's also supported by the Greens, Dems, and Conservatives with only Labour opposing apart from one who defied whip... I can't remember who but I'm sure he was Shadow health secretary.

Edit: Before some jump on my post as me saying "Only Labour are right, Labour are super"... I support the position of the government.

Edited by Scunnered

The European court said it was against the law yesterday but the Scottish govt are trying to work around it.http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/dec/23/minimum-alcohol-price-in-scotland-could-breach-eu-law-court-rules

If they pursue it aggressively, it will raise serious questions from those still pursuing the Scottish Government for their long overdue EU advice on the living wage bill. :wink2:

The European court said it was against the law yesterday but the Scottish govt are trying to work around it.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/dec/23/minimum-alcohol-price-in-scotland-could-breach-eu-law-court-rules

No it didn't, it's just being reported like thst.

it said unless it could be demonstrated that other mechanisms (i.e taxation) could not be shown to be more effective way to combat drink problem it would be illegal. Now over to Scottish courts to decide.

I can't see SG succeeding, all the courts have to do is imagine other policies to cut drink problem such as massive education drive, roll out national rehab and AA. Doesn't have to be practical, just whether other mechanism could work more optimally.

I've read that this in snp friendly, health professional circles this is about taxation and constitution issues. although taxation is a good restriction levy (which no doubt sg will claim is only better measures to MUP, but can't implement due to reserved taxation), it isn't, it's about other alleviating measures.

Will see, but I don't see MUP getting throughthrough. sadly IMHO, clearly medical professionals have less of a say than trade and business. Guess that is the purpose of the EU and not the health and wellbeing of its citizens.

The problem with increasing tax is that it affects all drinkers. Pubs would have to increase prices which would affect their trade.

Minimum unit pricing on the other hand would have very little influence on the price of drink bought anywhere other than in supermarkets and off-licenses.

Increasing taxation on alcohol would have an impact on all alcohol. a £39 pound bottle of decent whisky would need to go up in price by the same percentage as a cheap bottle of vodka. The SG are trying to eradicate the really cheap alcohol that is bought by those who are most vulnerable.

The Scotch Whisky are not out to protect the quality brands produced here but the cheap alcohol that rakes them in millions from alcoholics, drunks , the poor and under-agers

The European court said it was against the law yesterday but the Scottish govt are trying to work around it.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/dec/23/minimum-alcohol-price-in-scotland-could-breach-eu-law-court-rules

I was asking if the SG had the power to introduce tax changes because you asked why they didn't do this. I thought this was reserved which is what others have also said.

I was asking if the SG had the power to introduce tax changes because you asked why they didn't do this. I thought this was reserved which is what others have also said.

As far as I know it is reserved. Also as far as I know the Scottish Government don't have the power to implement minimum pricing, OR increase alcohol duty.

The problem with increasing tax is that it affects all drinkers. Pubs would have to increase prices which would affect their trade.

Minimum unit pricing on the other hand would have very little influence on the price of drink bought anywhere other than in supermarkets and off-licenses.

You don't actually believe that do you? If you increase the price at the bottom end of the market all other prices will slowly but surely follow suit.

As far as I know it is reserved. Also as far as I know the Scottish Government don't have the power to implement minimum pricing, OR increase alcohol duty.

It is reserved. I think the last power they will ever give us, is the power to tax our own whisky. They will hold on to that until the last dying breath of the union. :lol:

You don't actually believe that do you? If you increase the price at the bottom end of the market all other prices will slowly but surely follow suit.

They might, but the point is they wouldn't have to.

My bottle of Black Sheep could still be £1.50 at Tesco. If I was a drinker of cheap cider or alcopops I would be forking out more for definite...

It is reserved. I think the last power they will ever give us, is the power to tax our own whisky. They will hold on to that until the last dying breath of the union. :lol:

Pooling and sharing friend, pooling and sharing :wink2:

About 2020 then ?

Think you're being a bit keen. Will support for independence consistently be polling 60%+ in 5 years?

Pooling and sharing friend, pooling and sharing :wink2:

Think you're being a bit keen. Will support for independence consistently be polling 60%+ in 5 years?

after Osbourne wins at Westminster, it will grow rapidly. indy2 around 23/24 IMO..

2011- 30%

2014-45%

2015- 50%

we will see..

after Osbourne wins at Westminster, it will grow rapidly. indy2 around 23/24 IMO..

2011- 30%

2014-45%

2015- 50%

we will see..

I know you think it unlikely... I'm curious to know what direction the numbers would go with a Corbyn government?

And not to be pedantic, it only one poll this year has shown support for independence to be over 50%. I don't think support for independence has moved much since the referendum:

http://whatscotlandthinks.org/questions/how-would-you-vote-in-the-in-the-scottish-independence-referendum-if-held-now-a#table

I'm not trying to piss on your chips btw :lol:... Last September I was convinced we'd vote Yes, from where I was standing the result seemed beyond doubt, it never happened. Then I was convinced that another Tory government would increase support for independence, it hasn't seemed to have happened.

From where I'm standing... Or sitting at the moment, outwith the same people from last year, the desire for independence just isn't there.

Agree with Scunnered to a certain extent. I think we'll get there but more via the Union being lost than independence being won. I don't sense a huge appetite for independence but more and more, the role of Westminster is being questioned. It won't register in opinion polls because people aren't realising that their implicit support for independence is increasing, but with every passing day, people are more and more distant from Westminster. It's only a matter of time before that changes to more explicit support for independence.

One things for sure, absolutely nothing is solidifying or increasing support the Union. It's on borrowed time.

Agree with Scunnered to a certain extent. I think we'll get there but more via the Union being lost than independence being won. I don't sense a huge appetite for independence but more and more, the role of Westminster is being questioned. It won't register in opinion polls because people aren't realising that their implicit support for independence is increasing, but with every passing day, people are more and more distant from Westminster. It's only a matter of time before that changes to more explicit support for independence.

One things for sure, absolutely nothing is solidifying or increasing support the Union. It's on borrowed time.

I don't envy anyone who has to chap doors in 10-30 years time or whenever the next referendum is, and has to sell the Union... Hell I didn't envy it last year.