Just About - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Is it only sports commentators who use the phrase just about to mean just? Surely just about means almost? "He just about kept that in," means he nearly did, but it's overwhelmingly used to mean he just did. Rips my knitting but maybe I'm wrong. Just (just about) seems wrong.

You're right, they are wrong. We've had this discussion on here before and you'd be surprised at how many folk have been corrupted by these English commentators into thinking that they are right. Folk who really should know better (mainly English folk and youngsters who have been anglicized ). "Just about" means something almost happened but not quite. It's common sense really.

You're right, they are wrong. We've had this discussion on here before and you'd be surprised at how many folk have been corrupted by these English commentators into thinking that they are right. Folk who really should know better (mainly English folk and youngsters who have been anglicized ). "Just about" means something almost happened but not quite. It's common sense really.

Yeah, really weird.

Your John Motsons and Martin Tylers of this world have a lot to answer for.

The pluarising of names of singular people, that goes on within football punditry, drives me fecking mental.

Fellow pro is quite a weird expression, almost exclusively used for spitting, which is apparently the worst thing you can do to a "fellow pro".

:lol:

I'd add the over use of "dressing room" or even worse the americanised "locker" or "changing" room. Always find it a bit weird, it's as if they spend all their time just hanging about in a room full of lockers sitting on a wooden bench.

Fellow pro is quite a weird expression, almost exclusively used for spitting, which is apparently the worst thing you can do to a "fellow pro".

I'd add the over use of "dressing room" or even worse the americanised "locker" or "changing" room. Always find it a bit weird, it's as if they spend all their time just hanging about in a room full of lockers sitting on a wooden bench.

Even worse when some careless bugger goes and "loses the dressing room". I mean a sock yes, possible even a boot. But an entire dressing room?

It's all about winning the football matches on the football pitch for the fans of the football club.

Kev Umnio loves the BBC giving values in USD.

Oh fck that irritates me beyond all reasonable limits. Ive also had a rant on here about a commentator stating a keeper just about saved it, when he did in fact save it, the fact there was no fcking goal kinda gives it away.

I also ranted at my boss today, he said his blood was literally boiling, WTF is wrong with people. Im convinced some people just try to irritate me.

Oh fck that irritates me beyond all reasonable limits. Ive also had a rant on here about a commentator stating a keeper just about saved it, when he did in fact save it, the fact there was no fcking goal kinda gives it away.

I also ranted at my boss today, he said his blood was literally boiling, WTF is wrong with people. Im convinced some people just try to irritate me.

Maybe his blood would cool down if his staff gave 110%.

Maybe his blood would cool down if his staff gave 110%.

Oh jesus christ man, are you trying to tempt me into an American style work related incident.

I had my yearly review today, and I walked out before I hit him, at least 25% of my language consisted of variations of the word fck. Theres a very good chance I will be unemployed this time tomorrow, or possibly in jail for violence, or both.

I was literally incandescent with rage.

Oh jesus christ man, are you trying to tempt me into an American style work related incident.

I had my yearly review today, and I walked out before I hit him, at least 25% of my language consisted of variations of the word fck. Theres a very good chance I will be unemployed this time tomorrow, or possibly in jail for violence, or both.

I was literally incandescent with rage.

I hope you seen it as a light bulb moment.