Tortoise - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

It's apparently a good indicator of a Scottish dialect. Up here they are tortoises (with an "oi") but in Englabd they're tortises with the stress on the "tor".

Read that recently in a book about the development of the English language - "plum in your mouth" maybe? Anyway, I tested it out and found it to be true.

It's apparently a good indicator of a Scottish dialect. Up here they are tortoises (with an "oi") but in Englabd they're tortises with the stress on the "tor".

Read that recently in a book about the development of the English language - "plum in your mouth" maybe? Anyway, I tested it out and found it to be true.

What was the book called, Adam? Recommended?

Book also explains that Inverness has perhaps the clearest and most "correct" English as the language didn't arrive till quite late in the day and hasn't been mangled down the centuries as elsewhere.

And it knocks on the head the idea that RP and BBC English are anything more than just another regional accent, and was imposed as "correct" by our colonial overlords.

I remember years ago a furore over an English text book for primary schools that had made its way up here.

There was an exercise where you had a load of pictures of assorted objects and you were to match the rhyming pictures. One of the pairs was a DOOR and a SAW!!!

Edited by Toepoke

I remember years ago a furore over an English text book for primary schools that had made its way up here.

There was an exercise where you had a load of pictures of assorted objects and you were to match the rhyming pictures. One of the pairs was a DOOR and a SAW!!!

Ha-ha, yeah that's another one. I was watching Only connect recently and they had things that were supposed homonyms and they sounded totally nothing like each other as we would pronounce them. Was similar to saw and door example.

Book also explains that Inverness has perhaps the clearest and most "correct" English as the language didn't arrive till quite late in the day and hasn't been mangled down the centuries as elsewhere.

And it knocks on the head the idea that RP and BBC English are anything more than just another regional accent, and was imposed as "correct" by our colonial overlords.

You been to Inverness recently ? The local usage of "correct" English is disappearing rapidly

Didn't Huddersfield say that in Yorkshire they say tortoys?

I was just drafting a reply to that effect :)

I'm surprised.

I always thought the difference was.....

Scottish = Tortoys

English = Tortiss

Pretty sure I've never heard a Scot say tortiss.

I don't think it's that simple; in this part of England you'd definiely hear tor-toyce; tor-tiss or variants would be seen as a bit posh. But thinking about it, you might hear tor-tuss (silent middle 't') around Newcastle. I'm pretty sure you'd get a tor-toyse in Lancashire albeit with a different accent than the more erudite side of the Pennines.

I just showed a couple of people hear a photo & asked & all straight away said tor-toyce.

In my head I think of tortiss as just a bit posh, but that chip on my shoulder might be affecting my hearing.

This has got me thinking.....

.......is there literally no end to the complete and utter pointless $h1te we can talk about on this board?

Incidentally, a potential anomaly.....would I be right in saying that absolutely no one would say porpiss as opposed to porpoys?

Edited by Marky

This has got me thinking.....

.......is there literally no end to the complete and utter pointless $h1te we can talk about on this board?

Incidentally, a potential anomaly.....would I be right in saying that absolutely no one would say porpiss as opposed to porpoys?

Sure I've heard Porpiss from our southern friends. No idea how they get that pronunciation. As Huddersfield says, I don't think Northerners say that, think they're good porpoys folk, through and through.