Are The Dons Finally Going To Do It? - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Are The Dons Finally Going To Do It?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That place they are going to relocate to looks like a wind swept wasteland of epic proportions. The kind of horrible soulless shithole that you put industrial parks in and horrible new build etsates bought by kunts with big mortgages and small brains. No.

No argument here on new location - it's grim. Wasn't comparing it with current location. Just not sure the theories of Milne selling us up the river are necessarily true because I don't see current location making him that much cash.

I'd like to see redevelopment options. I see no reason why this can't be done in this day and age - so long as isn't massively cost prohibitive.

Agree with the comments that surely more could be done to redevelop pottodrie. Surely its not that tight for space?

Have to say tannadice gets a bad press, the main stand is cramped and the shed needs redeveloped but I'd rather be there than a box stadium in middle of nowhere. It lacks atmosphere during smaller, or duller games but at least it has character.

If it's at Loriston then I would build a sports bar at the away end as well.Will it have a big affect on trade in Aberdeen city centre if they move out to Cove ?

It will have a big affect on certain pubs/clubs. The 3 golf clubs next to RDS would struggle big time without the football crowd coming in and would probably close! The Pittodrie bar would be most affected and would probably shut its doors aswell! Shame really. The whole thing should be debated properly and the fans should have the final say on what happens NOT Stewart Milne!!

And as for those saying the same thing would happen to us as St Johnstone is absolute nonsense. Our fan base is a totally different scale than that of St Johnstone! A large proportion of our fans come from Aberdeenshire so they have to drive or get the bus in anyway.

Me personally I live in the city and would still go to the pubs in the city centre before home games and get a bus or train to the stadium at say 2.30! What's the problem??

Let us 10,000 season ticket holders have a vote on what we do.... We either move to a new stadium in Cove or we spend more repairing the old one year in year out??? I prefer a new stadium although as I said earlier al be really sad to see Pittodrie go!

I too recall Saints playing to bigger crowds.

Anyone confirm this or tell us otherwise?

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/a1990/stjohnstone1994.h

Takes a bit of looking through if you can be arsed.

It's true that attendances were dying on their arse at Muirton, and improved for the first couple of seasons at McDairmid. The move to the new stadium happily (for Saints) coincided with an up-turn in form and promotion to the top league for the first time in a while, so crowds naturally went up.

It's still an awful stadium, lacking in any kind of imagination, and the location is bowff.

I do recognise though that Saints were dying on their feet before the move, and that beggars couldn't be choosers.

Saints crowds were not better at Muirton. But when I started following Saints we were at the very bottom of Scotland's leagues so that may have been a factor.

I seem to remember that Saints had decent crowds at Muirton in the 70's and early 80's.

Then form dropped and as you say, they ended up at the bottom of the pile. Throw in the resulting financial problems and IIRC Saints had no choice but to move.

I seem to remember that Saints had decent crowds at Muirton in the 70's and early 80's.

Then form dropped and as you say, they ended up at the bottom of the pile. Throw in the resulting financial problems and IIRC Saints had no choice but to move.

Yep, correct. The upkeep of a seriously crumbling ground had us on the verge of doing a Third Lanark or a Rangers.

Sorry Ormond but no.

The upkeep of old pittodrie (with an opportunistic do-a-stand-at-a-time strategy) compared to the enormous debt burden of building a whole new lets-enrich-our-owner-Stewart-Milne-stadium?

Thank god Aberdeen City Council are not whanks and corrupt two faced kunts otherwse this would be a done deal.

So the theory is the beach is too remote too wind swept to grim to have a stadium...

So let move to it to Cove.

ARE YOU ALL MENTAL?

Who said Pittodrie was either too windy or too remote?

As to the question of redeveloping Pittodire they can't go any bigger I believe at the Merkland Stand due to the surrounding flats. To make the main stand bigger I'm sure I've seen reference to going bigger by effectively creating a tunnel behind the stand and building over into the car park but again residents would be against and there would be an issue of closing a road too - probably a non starter.

The board say that closing the ground stand by stand would result in too much of a reduced capacity with 12k being mentioned as a working capacity. What we don't know is for how long and what impact that would have.

Any survey I've seen is pretty much 50/50 on Cove and would presumably be similar for any other proposed relocation.

I still think nothing will happen for a number of years yet though.

Sorry Ormond but no.

The upkeep of old pittodrie (with an opportunistic do-a-stand-at-a-time strategy) compared to the enormous debt burden of building a whole new lets-enrich-our-owner-Stewart-Milne-stadium?

Thank god Aberdeen City Council are not whanks and corrupt two faced kunts otherwse this would be a done deal.

Stewart Milne does not own AFC,

On what basis will he be 'enriched' if a new stadium is built?