Are The Dons Finally Going To Do It? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Are The Dons Finally Going To Do It?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/35097880

With years and years of talking about it are they finally going to move or is this just talk once more?

Think the board were duty bound to say something on the stadium. They haven't really committed themselves to anything far a less a concrete date. The absence of anything else of substance emanating from the AGM has resulted in this getting more publicity that it deserves at this time.

There is no doubt that we need a new ground though but it can't be done until the requisite planning has been obtained which to date it hasn't and that all finances are in place - which they're not.

When it was first mooted that we could move to Loriston the stadium would have sat in splendid isolation. Since then there has been a flurry of building development in that area and by the time the club get round to being in position to build it it will be sited well within other commercial and housing builds. It will also happen after the by-pass has been completed which will would be crucial in my opinion. Also gives time for club and city to lobby for a train stop to built in Cove.

Edited by AberdeenAngus

If a new train station was to be built in Cove, how far away would it be from Loriston?

Think you'd need someone local to there to say.

Now if only this board had a resident from there?

My first thought would be no further than Aberdeen station to station to Pittodrie but I'm not an expert on where any station could be sited.

Will be sad to see Pittodrie go. Like a lot of dons fans it's been part of my life! Lots of memories all the way back to when my dad started taking me in the early 90s.

Will be even sadder for those who lived through the 70s with King Joey and the 80s glory days with Fergie!

But at the end of the day the place has been run down for years. Even the Dick Donald stand is falling to bits!

U see all these shite clubs down south with no history with state of the art stadiums! We need to do the same. Move with the times imo!

Should coincide with the new bypass aswell so there won't be traffic issues for those coming from the shire...

PS since when did Stewart "greedy b*stard" Milne become an oil baron? He's a sparky fae Inverurie!!

By the way for Aberdeen fans on here there's only 400 tickets left for the tyncastle Scottish cup game! 3000 sold. Tickets on sale for those on 40+ loyalty points..

There'll be none left on Thursday, when I can buy.

Think you'd need someone local to there to say.

Now if only this board had a resident from there?

My first thought would be no further than Aberdeen station to station to Pittodrie but I'm not an expert on where any station could be sited.

About a mile,give or take.

Not much choice for a drink though,just the loirston and the Wellington hotel away from the ground,but you're going back on yourself to get to the stadium.

Serious question, why?

You not been recently?

Facilities are generally poor compared to more modern grounds.Only the RDS is decent.

Tarting the old girl up not the option it might have been had previous boards bought the old timber yard. Now constrained by lack of space.

The theory is a new ground with modern facilities will have the ability to generate income 7 days a week.

On the subject of having a beer - a 1500 capacity fans bar is in the plans for the ground.

IT is a massively shit idea with only Donald milne's real interests at heart.

He keeps coming back to it like a dog to its own vomit so no doubt one day he will get to eat it.

If I was a dons fan anymore I would fight this to the DEATH.

I certainly shared your view a few years ago when this first came up. However, location of current stadium doesn't exactly lend itself to any high end property development or indeed any development on a decent scale. Don't think it's much of a cash cow.

That said, I would like to know much more about why we couldn't redevelop existing stadium and the associated costs of doing so.

I remain a sceptic.

Look what happened to the Saints crowd when they moved away from walking distance from Perth centre.Thats the same as will happen to Aberdeen.Part of the day trip to Aberdeen is going round the pubs before the game.Having the ground out of town will be a transport nightmare.

I certainly shared your view a few years ago when this first came up. However, location of current stadium doesn't exactly lend itself to any high end property development or indeed any development on a decent scale. Don't think it's much of a cash cow.

That said, I would like to know much more about why we couldn't redevelop existing stadium and the associated costs of doing so.

I remain a sceptic.

That place they are going to relocate to looks like a wind swept wasteland of epic proportions. The kind of horrible soulless shithole that you put industrial parks in and horrible new build etsates bought by kunts with big mortgages and small brains. No.

I'd like to know more about how other clubs have done this, and how it's affected them.

Will we have a cutting edge new stadium that will help attract and keep new fans, with corresponding logistical elements like bars and transport, or will it be a cobbled together B&Q shithole at the top of a windy hill, that will kill off our support, like St Johnstone's ?

The club need to sell this to the fans.

Look what happened to the Saints crowd when they moved away from walking distance from Perth centre.Thats the same as will happen to Aberdeen.Part of the day trip to Aberdeen is going round the pubs before the game.Having the ground out of town will be a transport nightmare.

My recollection is that St Johnstone played to much improved crowds when they moved from Muirton - perhaps an older Saints fan could confirm.

On transport its getting more difficult to travel to Pittodrie by car and places to park are diminishing.

Transport and parking will be crucial however to any move made.

I'd like to know more about how other clubs have done this, and how it's affected them.

Will we have a cutting edge new stadium that will help attract and keep new fans, with corresponding logistical elements like bars and transport, or will it be a cobbled together B&Q shithole at the top of a windy hill, that will kill off our support, like St Johnstone's ?

If the plans haven't changed its a bowl shaped fully enclosed ground with a 1500 capacity stadium bar would presumably doubles up a huge function suite for other events.

Would like to think that there will be the opportunity for fans to see detailed plans and talk through genuine concerns.

100%

Everything I've seen sugar suggests it's the latter.