Old Nightclubs/pubs You Used To Haunt - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Old Nightclubs/pubs You Used To Haunt

Still have nightmares about your winning goal that night. Powder puff shot right through Billy Thomson's legs.

Think from memory it was Peter Weir as well which made it even harder to take.

You're right - McGhee scored first, then McAvennie equalised. Simpson scored and then Somner equalised before Weir got the winner.

McDougall and Strachan scored in the first game - both sides were very strong back then.

You're right - McGhee scored first, then McAvennie equalised. Simpson scored and then Somner equalised before Weir got the winner.

McDougall and Strachan scored in the first game - both sides were very strong back then.

Aye golden days. Literally a lifetime away from the shite we have to endure these days.

Is Clatty Pats the most overrated club ever? It was shite. A last resort. Only the desperate and the old went.

An honourable mention to Bonkers. Like a temporary prison. Full of bampots which was normally good as that meant bottom of Hope Street was to be avoided. Only went twice with work folk. Leaving you ran the gauntlet as folk hung outside at the bus stop looking to catch your eye for a ruck.

• 3 years later...
On 12/8/2015 at 7:18 AM, giblet said:

L'Attache was my haunt of choice in the early to mid 90's.

Burnt Post was always a good starting point on Lothian Road, the Cowgate Subway was also always a great night along with The Kitchen.

Obviously an honourable mention to my old University Union QMC in Corstorphine.

I had a crush on the blond bartender at the Burnt Post in the late eighties maybe 1990. She was out of my league but I just saw Captain Marvel's new haircut and had a flashback. I used to wear my Paul's denim jacket because I was convinced it made me look old enough to get in. My student union card had a misprinted red star (younger than 18) which was probably more effective than denim. But the jacket was my insurance policy.

Edited by Stinkles

12 hours ago, Stinkles said:

I had a crush on the blond bartender at the Burnt Post in the late eighties maybe 1990. She was out of my league but I just saw Captain Marvel's new haircut and had a flashback. I used to wear my Paul's denim jacket because I was convinced it made me look old enough to get in. My student union card had a misprinted red star (younger than 18) which was probably more effective than denim. But the jacket was my insurance policy.

This is a random post indeed, this thread finished 3 years ago. Have you been in prison for stalking the bartender ?  

Toledo Junction in Paisley was my regular night club. In those days Paisley was actually as good as Glasgow for nightlife so there was no need to travel far. 

I worked in a pub up the road from Toledo, it was called Minstros. The bouncers from Toledo used to drink in the pub before their shift. When I finished in the pub I would walk down and there would be a queue for Toledo sometimes to the end of the road. I just walked up to the front door and got in. I felt like a celebrity, people in the queue were raging, rightly so. Those were the days .... 💃👠👄

If I was to go near a nightclub these days they would think I was there to clean it 😕

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Toledo Junction in Paisley was my regular night club. In those days Paisley was actually as good as Glasgow for nightlife so there was no need to travel far. 

I worked in a pub up the road from Toledo, it was called Minstros. The bouncers from Toledo used to drink in the pub before their shift. When I finished in the pub I would walk down and there would be a queue for Toledo sometimes to the end of the road. I just walked up to the front door and got in. I felt like a celebrity, people in the queue were raging, rightly so. Those were the days .... 💃👠👄

If I was to go near a nightclub these days they would think I was there to clean it 😕

What's Toledo junction called these days?

40 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

Aye Vienna's is still on the go. Has been called that since at least 2003

Last time I was there was late 90’s. I met my daughters friends mum on a night out, she was much younger than me and dragged me along for a laugh. I was only in my mid 30’s but felt like Methuselah. I nearly got into a fight in the toilets for pulling someone up for skipping the queue. Couldn't get out the place quick enough.   

7 minutes ago, The Ormond said:

Wellington, Craig Dhu and the Balnagowan I was in on my trip back recently. That Craig Dhu isnae half full of pretentious wanks. 

Whit !! you were in Paisley and didnt tell me 🤨 I know the Welly and Balnagowan pretty well, they are 2 of  my favoured drinking places when in Paisley,  along with The Wee Howf and The Bull. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Mid to late 80s?   I think in those days the licensing in Glasgow was pretty strict and hardly anywhere had late licenses,.i think clubs maybe had to close at 1am.  Paisley on the other hand had more relaxed licensing and so attracted a lot of custom from Glasgow

i used to go out in Kilmarnock a lot in those days and the clubs were open to 4am at the weekend, the local council had a deliberate policy at the time of trying to attract the night-time economy..  

29 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Whit !! you were in Paisley and didnt tell me 🤨 I know the Welly and Balnagowan pretty well, they are 2 of  my favoured drinking places when in Paisley,  along with The Wee Howf and The Bull. 

I have a pal who stays on Rowan St. just beside that Balnagowan. I had myself a wee daytrip to Rothesay when I was over and hit Paisley for a bit on my way back. 

17 minutes ago, aaid said:

Mid to late 80s?   I think in those days the licensing in Glasgow was pretty strict and hardly anywhere had late licenses,.i think clubs maybe had to close at 1am.  Paisley on the other hand had more relaxed licensing and so attracted a lot of custom from Glasgow

i used to go out in Kilmarnock a lot in those days and the clubs were open to 4am at the weekend, the local council had a deliberate policy at the time of trying to attract the night-time economy..  

It was a little earlier than that probably 81-84, I went to  live in Jersey from 84-88 but probably had the odd night out in Toledo  on one of  my trips back home. 

I hadnt thought of the licensing , you are right, Toledo was open to 2-2-30am ish. I would be hanging around the dancefloor in my ra ra skirt hoping someone would take me off the shelf at the last dance and pay my taxi home. It wasnt to be 😕

You are right about the licensing being relaxed, I  popped into  Minstros with my friends on one of my nights off. There was a crowd of us and my boss  asked if it was a celebration. I said ‘yes its my 18th birthday’. He freaked out, I had been working behind the bar for nearly a year . 

I never ventured as far as Kilmarnock. That was like a foreign country. 

24 minutes ago, The Ormond said:

I have a pal who stays on Rowan St. just beside that Balnagowan. I had myself a wee daytrip to Rothesay when I was over and hit Paisley for a bit on my way back. 

Does Paisley have a port now ??