Old Nightclubs/pubs You Used To Haunt - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Old Nightclubs/pubs You Used To Haunt

Don't recall Mannequins, where was that mate?

Mannequins was after our time Jimmy. We'd already left by then. It was in the back Sneddon opposite the back entrance to Gilmour Street station. Wasn't a club or a pub before as far as I remember.

Pubs

Scandals

Armstrongs

Lavertys Wine Bat

Shuttles

Minstros

Kennedys

Paisley Park

Clubs

Paris

Toledo Junction

Cotton Ckub (Paisley)

Backchat (if we were slummin it)

Hated nightclubs. Just a place to go that serves drink when the pubs were shut. Always found Edinburgh more civilised in that regard compared to Glasgow - later pub opening times.

Fury Murrays, the Cathouse, the Garage. In Helensburgh, Clockworks, Splash (or whatever name they were going by - seemed to change each time there was a stabbing). In Aberdeen, Amadeus.

I have a theory too that any nightclub that ends in an 's' is a shytehole.

Really only the Galleon Inn in Seamill.

Many great night in there, but had a habit of being run into the ground by folk who didn't have a clue what they were doing.

When I started it was run by a woman who let 4/5 dogs just run around the place wild.... She then left to take over the Tam O'Shanter pub down Maybole/Girvan way.

After her came a guy who moved his whole family in, but only experience he had was running a chip shop in Saltcoats or something..... Can still remember the blank look on his face when after 4 months we asked him how often the cleaned the beer pump pipes......

Crystals (Bruce Hotel, EK) - liked that as the music was leftfield by EK standards - although I was temporarily barred by Clr Archie Buchanan for the heinous crime of falling asleep one night. Gemini, Downtown Miami and Stork Club were are as horrific as their names suggest. To be honest I hated (and still hate) nightclubs.

Crystals (Bruce Hotel, EK) - liked that as the music was leftfield by EK standards - although I was temporarily barred by Clr Archie Buchanan for the heinous crime of falling asleep one night. Gemini, Downtown Miami and Stork Club were are as horrific as their names suggest. To be honest I hated (and still hate) nightclubs.

Shite dancer IMO.

The Garrison,The Circulation,Barbarellas The legendary Jackie O,s all in Kirkcaldy all now no more.Also used to love the disco every sunday night at the Birksgate.what a dive,you used to get free stovies and one plate ended stuck to the ceiling for a couple of years at least what a dive it was.

Ah the 70s, Happy Days.

The Garrison,The Circulation,Barbarellas The legendary Jackie O,s all in Kirkcaldy all now no more.Also used to love the disco every sunday night at the Birksgate.what a dive,you used to get free stovies and one plate ended stuck to the ceiling for a couple of years at least what a dive it was.

Ah the 70s, Happy Days.

So kind of a tapas/eat with booze type European relaxed and classy kind of a scene ?

Ah the 70s, Happy Days.

Was in Jackie O's a few times. I used to like The Penny Farthing for a while when I worked down that way. I always wondered why it was so friendly in there before I was told why by a Kirkcaldy punter. :-))

Inverness pub crawl in my early days

Moray

Eagle

Berties

Dempsters

Butlers

ending up every time in Dillingers

What's that Inversneckie boozer that had the daily newspaper pages all strapped to the bathroom walls? You could read when you were pishing. I loved that pub. I'm pretty sure it had an old trough around the bar.

What was the place in Glasgow where the dance floor moved between floors while you were dancing.. down the back of st enochs centre...

Anyone go to Caspers or Rioz in Ardrossan......#

or Flicks in Kilwinning.

What was the place in Glasgow where the dance floor moved between floors while you were dancing.. down the back of st enochs centre...

Anyone go to Caspers or Rioz in Ardrossan......#

or Flicks in Kilwinning.

To be fair though from my memory it was an urban myth that it moved while you were dancing. Any time I went there, they cleared the dance floor before moving it to another level.

I went to Rios and Caspers in the same night when we were down at my mate's cousin's in Atdrossan. Some cow behind the bar in Rios gave me a KB (as in refused service) after I have successfully (if surprisingly) made it past the bouncers. Went to Caspers instead and had a great night! To be fair to the barmaid in Rios, when I was 17 I looked about 12. Bouncer should have got his jotters :-)

Edited by Marky