Old Nightclubs/pubs You Used To Haunt - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Old Nightclubs/pubs You Used To Haunt

Probably a thread for old gits (I'm 44 from Edinburgh)...but what clubs/pubs did you used to hang about in a lot.

My lot were pub crawlers, so used to visit different bars, all over the city, every night out, but there was always the regular places.

While at school, Buster Browns in Edinburgh used to be the main underage disco to go to. Had many a coming of age moment there before I started to get regularly served in bars. Ensign Ewarts used to be a good place to get served underage. That became a regular place for a couple of years, usually moving onto Castle Bar, down to Bridies, along the Grassmarket, and usually end of in either Sneeky Pete's, Subway or Kasbar.

I was also no stranger to The Pelican and Bannermans at the time.

I used to be bit of rocker, so from the age of about 19, I was always to be found in The Black Bull up the top of Leith Street, before the pilgrimage to Madison Rock Club. If we were still capable at about 3am, we would try to get into Millionaires (dodgy place).

Later the Cathouse in Edinburgh opened up, so would occasionally go there. But I was never a big fan of it.

Also special mentions to The Venue, Teviot Student Union, Bruntsfield Links Hotel, Chaplins, Green Tree, Greyfriars, The Oyster Bar Pub chain, Haymarket Bar and Ryries.

Further afield, I would occasionally visit Dreadnought in Bathgate, Cathouse in Glasgow and Mayfair in Newcastle (buses from Madisons down).

Fridays & Saturdays for us would start at Charlie's on New Street (Paisley) before moving upstairs to Toledo Junction. I had many an enjoyable teenage fumble in there!! Once our Sunday Five a Side team got promoted and started playing at a decent hour (the lower the division the earlier the start time!) we would all head to the Bankhouse on Gilmour Street where it would be jugs of some rancid lager, a bit of scran and whatever live games were on followed by a wander down the road to either Carneigies or Mannequins till the wee hours. Great, great days!!

Stirling was where most folk headed when I was younger. Rainbow Rocks and the Fubar, both of which are still going strong I believe. I went occasionally but was a bit of a raver so was through in Glasgow a lot. The Arches, Sub Club and Alaska mostly.

When I was still at school we used to.go to the Meadowbank, next to Stirling Uni. They did vodka night on a Tuesday. 4 of them in a pint glass for something like £1.50. They attempted Gin night a couple of times nut it ended with riot vans and ambulances in attendance :)

There was a wee 'club' attached to.the back of it called the Outhouse. Wild in there at times

L'Attache was my haunt of choice in the early to mid 90's.

Burnt Post was always a good starting point on Lothian Road, the Cowgate Subway was also always a great night along with The Kitchen.

Obviously an honourable mention to my old University Union QMC in Corstorphine.

Edited by giblet

My haunts in Glasgow (1980's)

Pubs

Carnaigies

Sylvesters

Zchivagos

The Berlin

Porters

Pythagoras

Saints & Sinners

Clubs (it was called the dancing back then)

Gee Gee's

Viva

The Penthouse

Ultra Tec

Savoy

Tin Pan Alley

Great times & great memories :ok:

Obviously an honourable mention to my old University Union QMC in Corstorphine.

When were you there, and what courses did you do? I was 93-96 doing Communication Studies - f*ck me, I'm embarrassed saying that.

Was in that union a lot, and was also a member of the Student Association for my last year (Publications Officer - doing the Newspaper)

In Perth, Auld Hoose, Christies, Kirkside, Half O' Tanner, etc. Finished off with a trip to the Ice Factory nightclub in my younger days.

In Dundee, Harlequins on Albert Street. The Mercantile in the town centre. Then finished with a trip to the Mardi Gras nightclub, Enigma or Deja Vu.

Stirling was where most folk headed when I was younger. Rainbow Rocks and the Fubar, both of which are still going strong I believe. I went occasionally but was a bit of a raver so was through in Glasgow a lot. The Arches, Sub Club and Alaska mostly.

When I was still at school we used to.go to the Meadowbank, next to Stirling Uni. They did vodka night on a Tuesday. 4 of them in a pint glass for something like £1.50. They attempted Gin night a couple of times nut it ended with riot vans and ambulances in attendance :)

There was a wee 'club' attached to.the back of it called the Outhouse. Wild in there at times

Was it not the Meadowpark in Bridge of Allan?

Been in most old clubs like Mardi Gras,Warehouse,Henry's,Viva,Rooftops,TPA etc etc but I've mostly stuck to the Sub since about 89,not been for over a year though.

Back then I was more into Gary Abletts than drinking but can I give an honourable mention to the Videodrome & Rockgarden

When were you there, and what courses did you do? I was 93-96 doing Communication Studies - f*ck me, I'm embarrassed saying that.

Was in that union a lot, and was also a member of the Student Association for my last year (Publications Officer - doing the Newspaper)

Pm'd you. I was there same time, spent most of my time running the Football club! haha

Fridays & Saturdays for us would start at Charlie's on New Street (Paisley) before moving upstairs to Toledo Junction. I had many an enjoyable teenage fumble in there!! Once our Sunday Five a Side team got promoted and started playing at a decent hour (the lower the division the earlier the start time!) we would all head to the Bankhouse on Gilmour Street where it would be jugs of some rancid lager, a bit of scran and whatever live games were on followed by a wander down the road to either Carneigies or Mannequins till the wee hours. Great, great days!!

Don't recall Mannequins, where was that mate?

Edited by Jersey Jim

Kinnoull Club in Perth was always my starting point when going out with my pals. Work nights out were always held on a Thursday, starting off at The Windsor and ended up at The Grampian for Grab a Granny night. When I moved to Aberdeen it was usually Gabriels we went to. I even found myself in Champers after an Aberdeen Saints game where I bumped into Neale Cooper

Been in most old clubs like Mardi Gras,Warehouse,Henry's,Viva,Rooftops,TPA etc etc but I've mostly stuck to the Sub since about 89,not been for over a year though.

Back then I was more into Gary Abletts than drinking but can I give an honourable mention to the Videodrome & Rockgarden

I'd forgotten that was on Robertson Street (but not halfway down...) - I mind being in one Sunday night in the late 80s and they were running a Miss wet T-shirt competition.

Edited by Charlie Endell

DJ'd in Clouds in Edinburgh way way back..

"Local" was Dunblane Hydro on a Saturday night followed by a 7 mile walk home...ah them were days.

Or there was a club in Falkirk whos name escapes me now.

Maniqui (Oil Can Harrys),

Clubhouse

Reids

Rosie O Gradies

Martell

All old haunts of mine in Falkirk