Old Nightclubs/pubs You Used To Haunt - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Old Nightclubs/pubs You Used To Haunt

1 hour ago, aaid said:

i used to go out in Kilmarnock a lot in those days and the clubs were open to 4am at the weekend, the local council had a deliberate policy at the time of trying to attract the night-time economy..  

Parkers and Charlie Brown's in killie come to mind think there were others but can't remember. 

21 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Parkers and Charlie Brown's in killie come to mind think there were others but can't remember. 

Those were the main two clubs from what I recall there were a lot of pubs open until 1 as well.

1 hour ago, The Ormond said:

They even tell jokes aboot Paisley birds in cowps like Dundee! 😄

I’s still prefer to be famous for that than being famous for Kelly Marie 😕

Those Dundonians are getting ideas above their station now they have a museum. Paisley has had a museum for  almost 15O years, I remember the day it opened. You dont hear us bragging about it. 

Cardinal Follies....

i mind smuggling in Bottles of Becks in my Suit Jacket as there was no frisk/airport security at the time, (early 90's) managed it for weeks until i was asked to leave by the Bouncers as  i was caught drinking it and they didnt sell Becks.........

.... It was also the last place i ever puked with the drink,  on the stairs ootside.,  classy ....

it burnt down not long afterwards......  nowt tae do wi me tho.....

was a nightclub 'Flicks' in Brechin that folk used to flock to ; late 80s  may have been mentioned earlier - used to get buses from Aberdeen down to it (had to google the name)

also ; thinking about number of boozers that have shut over the years ; specifically in south part of Aberdeen , the palm court is the only pub i can think in, in area from roughly lang stracht down to the dee , anderson drive

pubs shut ; short mile, great western, amatola, egg&dart, park hotel (is abergeldie still open?)dee motel, copper beech, caledon

our pub , "club" circuit thru 80s was typically meet at Mr Gs lounge bar then go to Joey Harpers , which became Cousins - did sometimes venture down town a bit, some ropey places i mind ; Sir Laffalots on shiprow , Roosters, and Sweepers nightclub

day time pints at college (Aberdeen tech) were Marischal Bar (now brewdog) Lochside (i mind a story about the vikings sailing up river and anchoring in the loch ???)Harriet Street bar , next to the post office before they screwed up George Street and surrounds

office pints ; lunchtime/after work - dutch mill, the old Albyn (queens Cross Clydesdale) Sportsmans club

most bars then were lager or export , didnt have to name a brand, or ice filtered , temperature etc - before influx of red strip bottles/mexican etc - think becks was as exotic as it got

and never any ice cubes left for the tequila and orange....

Edited by Auchinyell Sox Change

5 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

was a nightclub 'Flicks' in Brechin that folk used to flock to ; late 80s  may have been mentioned earlier - used to get buses from Aberdeen down to it (had to google the name)

also ; thinking about number of boozers that have shut over the years ; specifically in south part of Aberdeen , the palm court is the only pub i can think in, in area from roughly lang stracht down to the dee , anderson drive

pubs shut ; short mile, great western, amatola, egg&dart, park hotel (is abergeldie still open?)dee motel, copper beech, caledon

our pub , "club" circuit thru 80s was typically meet at Mr Gs lounge bar then go to Joey Harpers , which became Cousins - did sometimes venture down town a bit, some ropey places i mind ; Sir Laffalots on shiprow , Roosters, and Sweepers nightclub

day time pints at college (Aberdeen tech) were Marischal Bar (now brewdog) Lochside (i mind a story about the vikings sailing up river and anchoring in the loch ???)Harriet Street bar , next to the post office before they screwed up George Street and surrounds

office pints ; lunchtime/after work - dutch mill, the old Albyn (queens Cross Clydesdale) Sportsmans club

most bars then were lager or export , didnt have to name a brand, or ice filtered , temperature etc - before influx of red strip bottles/mexican etc - think becks was as exotic as it got

Loads of places there that I used to frequent when I was at RGIT.  I had my 21st in the Amatola - or the Ayahtollah as it was more popularly known.  

5 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

😂😂 Flicks. Went to their a few times on a bus from Dundee, some great nights. I remember the ‘Hitman and Her’ were there one night and every bampot under the sum came out to try and get on telly. Amigos was another place in Brechin that was a bit nutty 👍 

De Stihls and Bar Chevrolet in Dundee and Amadeus in Aberdeen other places I recall stotting around in 😳

Special mention also to Dundee’s Coconut Grove 😂🙈

Edited by Jim Beem

11 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

😂😂 Flicks. Went to their a few times on a bus from Dundee, some great nights. I remember the ‘Hitman and Her’ were there one night and every bampot under the sum came out to try and get on telly. Amigos was another place in Brechin that was a bit nutty 👍 

De Stihls and Bar Chevrolet in Dundee and Amadeus in Aberdeen other places I recall stotting around in 😳

Knock yourself out with this.   Is that you 45 seconds in with the orange shirt and white cardie combo and curtains haircut.

5 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Flicks and the hitman and her got a mention on the recently shown Scotland's big night out on the BBC Scotland channel. 

Edited by bonzo

21 hours ago, stocky said:

Cardinal Follies....

i mind smuggling in Bottles of Becks in my Suit Jacket as there was no frisk/airport security at the time, (early 90's) managed it for weeks until i was asked to leave by the Bouncers as  i was caught drinking it and they didnt sell Becks.........

.... It was also the last place i ever puked with the drink,  on the stairs ootside.,  classy ....

it burnt down not long afterwards......  nowt tae do wi me tho.....

Cardinal Follies, was than an old church ??

On 4/29/2019 at 3:45 PM, glasgow jock said:

Cardinal Follies, was than an old church ??

Aye,  it was..... Burnt down and flats were built on the site in extremely quick suspicious circumstances.....  

The Mardi in Dundee and at one point, it had hot dogs for sale inside the venue.

A tit I knew from school and football - he was hermless enough, but full of bullshite, you'd been to Tenerife him Elevenerife etc. Once said if a group of us all paid him a fiver, he would jump from the top bar to the dance floor. We all agreed. He did it, and as soon as he landed (a bit like a gymnast) he was grabbed by two bouncers and chucked out.

On 4/28/2019 at 3:04 AM, TDYER63 said:

This is a random post indeed, this thread finished 3 years ago. Have you been in prison for stalking the bartender ?  

Alas no. Or maybe that's a relief for the bartender.  My old wingman, who'd loan me his denim jacket because I was convinced it made me look 18, passed away --  and we were reminiscing about the Burnt Post. The thread showed up as a top result for the Image Search. Now I'm binging on nostalgia - I've been in Seattle and the US for nearly 20 years. Anyway buzzkill aside, this thread is full of very happy memories for me. And a few total blackouts probably too. Cider and Southern Comfort. What was I thinking?

35 minutes ago, Stinkles said:

Alas no. Or maybe that's a relief for the bartender.  My old wingman, who'd loan me his denim jacket because I was convinced it made me look 18, passed away --  and we were reminiscing about the Burnt Post. The thread showed up as a top result for the Image Search. Now I'm binging on nostalgia - I've been in Seattle and the US for nearly 20 years. Anyway buzzkill aside, this thread is full of very happy memories for me. And a few total blackouts probably too. Cider and Southern Comfort. What was I thinking?

All the way from Seattle ? !  Wow, we’re famous 😁

Is Seattle anywhere near Chicago? I might just know someone who has a bit of time on his hands right now and would be happy to share his memories of Scotland with you over a cider and southern comfort. But you would need to be interested in Perth and hate Rangers. 

Thanks for posting, sorry to hear about your friend but at least you got some happy memories 👍

Woodburn Miners' is a must do on the east coast. You had to be in by about 6pm, and they played bingo for an hour. Then the band came on and played the same songs in the same order every week. It was a pretty decent start to the night though, better than I've made it sound. 

12 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

All the way from Seattle ? !  Wow, we’re famous 😁

Is Seattle anywhere near Chicago? I might just know someone who has a bit of time on his hands right now and would be happy to share his memories of Scotland with you over a cider and southern comfort. But you would need to be interested in Perth and hate Rangers. 

Thanks for posting, sorry to hear about your friend but at least you got some happy memories 👍

😂😂😂

4 minutes ago, Stapes said:

Woodburn Miners' is a must do on the east coast. You had to be in by about 6pm, and they played bingo for an hour. Then the band came on and played the same songs in the same order every week. It was a pretty decent start to the night though, better than I've made it sound. 

That isn't Dalkeith Miners club is it? I had a night out in 1996 that sounds exactly like that place, I know the year as it was my leaving night to go on maternity leave .

I was a bit taken aback right enough  when we got in the front door to see a sign that said ‘ no spitting allowed  ‘ 😂 Was a great night though. 

21 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I remember going to a club called Poppa Docks I think it was called years ago. Was it in Cumbernauld? 

Papa Docs it was. 89/90 would have been when I was last there. Think there’s still a club on the go, don’t know what it’s called though.