Forth Road Bridge Closed - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Forth Road Bridge Closed

We are only on the new bridge, nothing to do with the old one (though boss is now on the phone sniffing around to see if any work going on repairs :-)) )

hurry up and finish the new wan and we can use that......

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit harsh, don't think they're ENTIRELY to blame. Wanderer has to take some of it:

Having reevaluated the situation I think it's safe to put all the blame on Wanderer.

If there's no hot food left by the time I arrive at Ochilview tomorrow I'll be writing a letter of complaint to my MP.

Not to make light of this which will make life extremely difficult for many people over the next few months... But, the tweets about closing the bridge due to an influx of Fifers who hate our way of life, and are a threat to our security are comedy gold! :lol:

Edited by Scunnered

Not to make light of this which will make life extremely difficult for many people over the next few months... But, the tweets about closing the bridge due to an influx of Fifers who hate our way of life, and are a threat to our security are comedy gold! :lol:

Personally I am all for closing the Tay and Kincardine Bridges too and declaring ourselves independent.

It's hard to state just how big a feck up this is. How the Scottish Government have allowed this to happen is beyond me. One of the most important infrastructure routes in the whole country is to be shut for a month. Absolutely disgraceful.

True but given that it takes years to plan and build a new bridge blaming the current Scottish government or even recent ones is a bit daft parkie. You need to look back 10-20 years if you want to apportion blame.

It's hard to state just how big a feck up this is. How the Scottish Government have allowed this to happen is beyond me. One of the most important infrastructure routes in the whole country is to be shut for a month. Absolutely disgraceful.

Your not going to get many dafties taking that bait.

True but given that it takes years to plan and build a new bridge blaming the current Scottish government or even recent ones is a bit daft parkie. You need to look back 10-20 years if you want to apportion blame.

It's more the maintenance. What checks are carried out on the bridge? Who's responsible for them? Have they been getting done?

1 week ago there was no hint anything was wrong. Suddenly one of the most vital routes in Scotland is shut for a month.

I think someone needs to explain the maintenance/repair procedure thoroughly.

It's more the maintenance. What checks are carried out on the bridge? Who's responsible for them? Have they been getting done?

1 week ago there was no hint anything was wrong. Suddenly one of the most vital routes in Scotland is shut for a month.

I think that is Alex Salmond's job. He is supposed to go out to the middle of the bridge and do the bouncy for 30 minutes, once a month. If it can stand up to that it will stand up to anything. He has maybe missed a few checks recently because of moving down to Westminster.

That's a fair point but looking at the picture looks like a stress fracture in the steel. Not sure any amount of maintenance would pick that up.

That's a fair point but looking at the picture looks like a stress fracture in the steel. Not sure any amount of maintenance would pick that up.

It was a routine maintenance check that did pick it up. It's what routine maintenance checks are for.

It is possible that a higher standard of check might have noticed it sooner? We might find out when the investigation is done.