Forth Road Bridge Closed - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Forth Road Bridge Closed

Do they not "check" a section of the bridge at a time? Rather than the whole thing in a oner? (Im just guessing) And maybe when they last check showed no sign of damage, but by the time they go around and check the other parts of the bridge (say, a few days/weeks) this part has started to fracture and by the time they get round to checking it again, then this has happened.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a fair point but looking at the picture looks like a stress fracture in the steel. Not sure any amount of maintenance would pick that up.

Fair enough. I just think we need a detailed explanation.

Full praise to the SNP government for getting the new bridge built and for taking prompt action in closing the old bridge so everyone is safe !!!

Plus really looking forward to a ferry being brought back into service...never crossed the Forth on a ferry so will definitely be a xmas treat.

Apparently last inspection was six months ago and nothing was found then.

I'm no structural engineer but six-monthly inspections seems entirely reasonable to me.

If that's true then that is an entirely reasonable inspection regime. Assuming the failure which looks like a stress crack, wasn't there 6 months ago.

It was a routine maintenance check that did pick it up. It's what routine maintenance checks are for.

It is possible that a higher standard of check might have noticed it sooner? We might find out when the investigation is done.

Yes my point is that maintenance isn't going to stop it. Checks pick it up yes but won't prevent that sort of thing.

Aye that's a brilliant one. 80,000 vehicles a day - should be some size of ferry that one!

Was there not once a hairbrained scheme proposed that involved hovercraft? Think we might be going back to Labour in Holyrood... But something rang a bell when comrade Alan mentioned a ferry... Of course I may have dreamt it... Or fantasised!

There was a hovercraft trialed in 2006/7? It was popular, went from kirkcaldy to prtobello. But nothing ever came of it.

The hovercraft trials were very successful and fife council and stagecoach were all for it but edinburgh council didnt go with itAt the time i think they were more worried about the cost of the trams.

There is another firm currently interested in running them.

Was there not once a hairbrained scheme proposed that involved hovercraft? Think we might be going back to Labour in Holyrood... But something rang a bell when comrade Alan mentioned a ferry... Of course I may have dreamt it... Or fantasised!

Aye, Your Pal Souter ran a trial Hovercraft to Leith area, it was to meet up with the Trams. It was very popular.

Ran from Fife somewhere.

It s a good idea, although the Trams need to be there to pick the fifers up

was around 2007/8.

Edited by stocky