Pension Advice Required - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Pension Advice Required

I've just had a phone call from some geezer, who seemed to know more about my pensions than me.

Anyway, the gist of his call was that he has noted I have a frozen pension and he wants to investigate it.

Anyone had this? WTF is it all about?

Edit to say - he confirmed it's a free service.

Edited by Flora MaDonald

I've just had a phone call from some geezer, who seemed to know more about my pensions than me.

Anyway, the gist of his call was that he has noted I have a frozen pension and he wants to investigate it.

Anyone had this? WTF is it all about?

Edit to say - he confirmed it's a free service.

probably speaking about QROPS and taking your pension offshore which avoids (maybe) death duties on your pension if you die after 75

depends if you intend retiring abroad

good commission for these guys,

probably speaking about QROPS and taking your pension offshore which avoids (maybe) death duties on your pension if you die after 75

depends if you intend retiring abroad

good commission for these guys,

Cheers, Euan.

Is it worth seeing him? He's adamant it's free, and I've nae got a Scooby about my pensions.

Cheers, Euan.

Is it worth seeing him? He's adamant it's free, and I've nae got a Scooby about my pensions.

I'd still be very sceptical about any cold calls as others said.

If you're looking for something/info you'd maybe safer now doing your own research then initiating your own call/email to a known party.

Cheers, Euan.

Er, I don't think either of us will be living a comfortable retirement (in the unlikely event I make it that far...) on our Royal pension contributions.

Speak to teecee-, he knows his pensions.

Edited by Charlie Endell

I'd still be very sceptical about any cold calls as others said.

If you're looking for something/info you'd maybe safer now doing your own research then initiating your own call/email to a known party.

I think that's a good rule to apply in general.

At your age there are little or no benefits from moving a company pension elsewhere.

If it's a "final salary" pension then to shift it would be financial suicide as it includes so many benefits.

If it's a " money purchase" scheme then it's about investment choice and this could be what our intrepid

salesman will target.

Remember the word frozen is often used but pension benefits grow even when you no longer work for that company.

BEWARE.

At your age there are little or no benefits from moving a company pension elsewhere.

If it's a "final salary" pension then to shift it would be financial suicide as it includes so many benefits.

If it's a " money purchase" scheme then it's about investment choice and this could be what our intrepid

salesman will target.

Remember the word frozen is often used but pension benefits grow even when you no longer work for that company.

BEWARE.

Wise words - I knew you were the go-to man for pension advice.

salesman will target.

BEWARE.

Good lad, tee-cee. :ok:

How would he know I had a pension frozen?

salesman will target.

BEWARE.

Any opinions on Investment Bonds (offshore ), if yearly charge is 0.85% and being able to get funds invested @ Net Asset Value ?

Now this might be the bullshit part - do funds genuinely charge 3-5% on investment, and investment platform (RL360) are giving a volume discount getting into funds @ say 0.8% ?

Cheers, Euan.

Likely not - end of day they are looking to sell you something although if i guess if inside UK, then will be agreed fee so no back door commissions etc - unless they think you are abroad

One interesting thing i read recently is some pension administrators, increase your yearly fee once you become an ex employee, and only give discounted yearly fee to current employees of a pension plan - i was looking at SIPPS other day and was surprised how low the platform fee was

I'm just commenting on what i have been scratching at, since been looking at taking my pension offshore

Any opinions on Investment Bonds (offshore ), if yearly charge is 0.85% and being able to get funds invested @ Net Asset Value ?

Now this might be the bullshit part - do funds genuinely charge 3-5% on investment, and investment platform (RL360) are giving a volume discount getting into funds @ say 0.8% ?

Not sure about going direct to RL360 but using their Offshore Bond with a uk platform to hold the assets you could be paying as little as 0.35% pa for the wrapper and be getting in to all funds 'clean'.