Iptv - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I know there was a topic about android tv boxes and Kodi but I'm looking at a Mag 250 IPTV

Box, think it's fairly similar.

Wondered if anyone had used one?

Edited by Baz

It's just a box that streams from a server to your telly. My local bar has one, mostly for BT Sports, and it has rarely had any problems. Think the subscription is around €20-€25 a month but I'm sure it can be had for cheaper than that.

What channels are you looking for, specifically?

It's just a box that streams from a server to your telly. My local bar has one, mostly for BT Sports, and it has rarely had any problems. Think the subscription is around 20-25 a month but I'm sure it can be had for cheaper than that.

What channels are you looking for, specifically?

Everything!

Currently have Virgin media but it's £80 a month. We are emigrating next year so want to get shot of it to save cash but we don't have much of a freebies reception and all the other to providers etc want 12 month contracts.

Virgin's basic to package is shite so was looking for a top up.

Can I also ask?

We have a son who watches all his movies sports etc on his apple ipad through streaming websites. We would like him to be able to watch them on his large screen tv in his room either through his ipad or just through the same websites on the tv.

I have been advised to purchase an Android box with Kodi. Is this the best route to go down for the purpose we want it. Thanks.

Baz, the Mag boxes are the most popular and for sure will be supported. I have an Nvidia Shield TV box and use Kodi a lot but get frustrated when certain streams go down.

Going to give http://rapidiptv.net/a trial and will potentially shell out the €90 for a yearly subscription depending on the streams - they do have a shed-load of channels.

hauniscots, Kodi is fantastic, definitely recommend it for consuming TV and movies. Took me a while to convert but had bad experiences with XBMC in all its previous iterations. It's solid now.

The Amazon Fire TV stick is 35 quid and will do what you ask for.

Baz, the Mag boxes are the most popular and for sure will be supported. I have an Nvidia Shield TV box and use Kodi a lot but get frustrated when certain streams go down.

Going to give http://rapidiptv.net/a trial and will potentially shell out the €90 for a yearly subscription depending on the streams - they do have a shed-load of channels.

hauniscots, Kodi is fantastic, definitely recommend it for consuming TV and movies. Took me a while to convert but had bad experiences with XBMC in all its previous iterations. It's solid now.

So is the Android box more expensive then? It's for Christmas so if there is a distinct difference in quality/number of channels I don't mind paying the extra. What is the difference?

There's 100s of different Android boxes these days. Some better than others.

If he is into gaming, the Nvidia Shield is probably a good option. £150ish and probably due for a price reduction soon. It's a beast of a machine and runs Kodi without blinking. I've replaced my whole satellite setup with this. It doesn't do satellite, just Kodi and the odd other app. Will give the Nvidia Grid trial (full games that stream rather than download) once I have more time.

The Amazon Fire TV stick is a tiny wee box that does the same job. It doesn't have the same speed or memory as the Shield, but from reviews I've seen, it's pretty good and well worth the cash.

There's a lot of talk about M8 and G8 Android boxes too. Any that has 2gb+ RAM, a quad core+ processor and 8gb+ memory will do the job. Check the reviews though.

Going to give http://rapidiptv.net/a trial and will potentially shell out the 90 for a yearly subscription depending on the streams - they do have a shed-load of channels.

Yeah I've been looking at rapidiptv.

Now thinking about getting a zgemma star H1 since we've got cable, apparently the quality is much better than openbox, mag or Kodi.

So much choice!!

If he is into gaming, the Nvidia Shield is probably a good option. £150ish and probably due for a price reduction soon. It's a beast of a machine and runs Kodi without blinking. I've replaced my whole satellite setup with this. It doesn't do satellite, just Kodi and the odd other app. Will give the Nvidia Grid trial (full games that stream rather than download) once I have more time.

The Amazon Fire TV stick is a tiny wee box that does the same job. It doesn't have the same speed or memory as the Shield, but from reviews I've seen, it's pretty good and well worth the cash.

There's a lot of talk about M8 and G8 Android boxes too. Any that has 2gb+ RAM, a quad core+ processor and 8gb+ memory will do the job. Check the reviews though.

Much appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought one of these from Amazon... Free controller and TV remote... £118 black friday deal :ok:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

All IPTV is flaky as fuck,, you wanting to change suppliers is proof of that,, IMHO any supplier that has to advertise is usually trickled down to a re-seller, My supplier only does invites (None left) and is pretty damn good,, The occasional drop out but it's expected, Too many iptv guys are just trying to make a quick buck and obviously if it fucks up and they dissapear, you've just spunked yer money.

I have geniptv and use Duplex IPTV app on my Samsung TV. Most stable I have ever had it. Actually usable daily. Dumped my mini PC and all the other nonsense. 80 quid a year for everything. Only downside is you can’t record anything

On 1/17/2021 at 7:52 PM, dj mick said:

All IPTV is flaky as fuck,, you wanting to change suppliers is proof of that,, IMHO any supplier that has to advertise is usually trickled down to a re-seller, My supplier only does invites (None left) and is pretty damn good,, The occasional drop out but it's expected, Too many iptv guys are just trying to make a quick buck and obviously if it fucks up and they dissapear, you've just spunked yer money.

To be fair that's not the issue with my suppliers, they seem to be going nowhere.  The main one, with whom I have 4 connections, is brilliant with communication, which had been a real problem with previous suppliers.  Trouble is that they've cut down on a lot of stuff, and there's always something you're being told to do; refresh this and that, clear cache.  I'm not the best with technology, and that's a ball ache.  The "back up" service I have is great, a bit less choice but generally reliable.  I only have one connection with them and I'd cheerfully let them take over as the main supplier were it not for the fact that their "multiroom" is max 2 connections, £35 per month.  To get the 4 I need means 2 x £35, at that price you might as well go back to Sky.  Probably going to stick with these now to be fair, but only for the one connection in the main room.

On 1/21/2021 at 9:31 AM, cammyk said:

I have geniptv and use Duplex IPTV app on my Samsung TV. Most stable I have ever had it. Actually usable daily. Dumped my mini PC and all the other nonsense. 80 quid a year for everything. Only downside is you can’t record anything

I've had a look at that and I'm going to give that a go at the end of the month, cheers for the 'heads up'!

14 hours ago, kumnio said:

£35 a month 😳

Aye, for "multi-room", but that's only 2 connections, I need four and there's no price for that, he just told me straight out, it would need to be 2 "multi-room" subscriptions at £35 each.  Not realistic.

The range of VOD is a little light as well, but he is very reliable.  I take a single connection back up service in case the other service's servers get attacked when there's a big game on, but at that price he can be the back-up, at best.

Edited by Andy C

On 25/01/2021 at 3:07 PM, Andy C said:

Aye, for "multi-room", but that's only 2 connections, I need four and there's no price for that, he just told me straight out, it would need to be 2 "multi-room" subscriptions at £35 each.  Not realistic.

The range of VOD is a little light as well, but he is very reliable.  I take a single connection back up service in case the other service's servers get attacked when there's a big game on, but at that price he can be the back-up, at best.

35 a month is a rip off for any ITV service.

I'm 80 for the year