Ross County/ Celtic Minute Silence - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ross County/ Celtic Minute Silence

This is a very sad phenomenon in Scotland. The weaponization of Armistice day in the ongoing fued between Rangers and Celtic. And that is on top of the politicization of it by the UK government.

On the green side you have some who feel they are making a political statement by breaking the silence. That is offensive to many who want to observe the silence.

On the blue side you have some who are happy to exploit the war dead and use them as a stick to beat their opponents with while actually never thinking about the people who died in WWI. That is even worse IMHO.

The whole thing is sad and pathetic. But perhaps inevitable after they started politicizing the day in more recent times. They will be associating it with Unionism more and more I imagine to reinforce our 'shared history' and 'sense of Britishness' and widening it to cover recent wars in order to politically launder them.

You gotta love Scotland and the UK, tremendous stuff.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree totally. I don't wear a poppy because it has been politicised. I do however always make donations to the Poppy Scotland collection guys at the supermarket.

Pretty much the same as me. I support the Erskine Hospital year round as it's a local charity I believe in. The Poppy is just a visible sign of that support that is really not essential. I don't need other folk to validate my personal choices.

If there was such a thing as a minutes silence at football matches then I certainly have no memory of it.

I have no memory of it happening in November when I started going to football in the 80's. Then again I was watching Celtic......But even across the whole UK there was nothing, in my memory, of the level of Remembrance that there is now, poppies on shirts, all fans having a minutes silence, Last Post played, war poems read out aloud.

There is something to be said for the correlation between the drop in church attendance and the increasing scope of remembrance in football. I don't think it's unreasonable for a minutes silence once a year to remember millions of people who died in war and didn't have a choice in the matter. In some respects, football is a very appropriate place for a minutes silence. The demographic playing is the same demographic that was so badly effected. The same goes for the demographic watching the match. People want to pay respect and a football match is now the biggest public gathering of people on a regular basis, particularly as less people attend church.

I don't really see what rangers have done so wrong. Had a card display? Wore a poppy on their shirt like all other teams? Sometimes it feels like people will use any excuse to have a pop at rangers, particularly on here.

There seems to be a minute silence/applause every other game these days. Like above I don't remember there being so many when I first started going to the football.

It's the modern urge to be seen publicly to grieve.

When Diana died the country was a feckin joke with folk who only ever read the newspaper fictions greetin and beating their chests in public grief. Those who didn't give a toss were "heartless".

More and more folk appear to be addicted to public shows of grief despite not really feeling anything.

It's sad and desperate really.

Every place I've worked in have held a minutes silence on the 11th hour etc and I've been going to Remembrance Sunday services since I was a teenager in the scouts back in the early 80s, so from a personal point of view it's always been there for me.

It has went full mental these days,really feckin mental.

It's the modern urge to be seen publicly to grieve.

When Diana died the country was a feckin joke with folk who only ever read the newspaper fictions greetin and beating their chests in public grief. Those who didn't give a toss were "heartless".

More and more folk appear to be addicted to public shows of grief despite not really feeling anything.

It's sad and desperate really.

The first one I remember was for Johnny Doyle and the Hibs fans burst it after a few seconds. I remember feeling uncomfortable and still do during them but no excuse for disrupting them imo

I don't really see what rangers have done so wrong. Had a card display? Wore a poppy on their shirt like all other teams? Sometimes it feels like people will use any excuse to have a pop at rangers, particularly on here.

I don't know what Rangers had on Saturday?

Based on previous remembrance and armed forces events at ibrox, it's the OTT circus they have, abseiling down the stands and flag waving rule brittania party isn't really what most folk would think of as Remembrance.

I don't know what Rangers had on Saturday?

Based on previous remembrance and armed forces events at ibrox, it's the OTT circus they have, abseiling down the stands and flag waving rule brittania party isn't really what most folk would think of as Remembrance.

While it's not my cup of tea the abseiling and flag waiving etc only happens on Armed Forces day and not on Remembrance. The Remembrance commemorations are bit more toned down and all the had on Saturday was a card display on the Govan Stand and a wreath laying.

I think it has almost become a political statement to wear a poppy. I wear one, not because I am a Hun ( I'm not), a unionist (definitely not) but because the money goes to ex-servicemen who need it because they have been injured doing their job whether that job was right or wrong.

For me all this talk of illegal wars and Bloody Sunday are irrelevant.

If you don't want to support it fine, but show a little tolerance and decency, respect those who do.

Pretty much how I see it.

This pish comes up every year. It's getting tiresome. The point scoring that goes on at this time of year is getting pathetic.

Anyway back on topic, the brain dead in the Tims support, wouldn't have surprised anyone, nor has the idiotic defence of their actions from the usual suspects. Grown men, unable to stay quiet for 60 seconds, quite incredible how warped some people can get.

Still, I'm sure they can tell everyone how they helped the 'cause' by standing up to the 'Brits'.

Fannies!

While it's not my cup of tea the abseiling and flag waiving etc only happens on Armed Forces day and not on Remembrance. The Remembrance commemorations are bit more toned down and all the had on Saturday was a card display on the Govan Stand and a wreath laying.

Fair enough.

That doesn't sound too OTT by Rangers standards.

Doubt anybody else had a card display, but each to their own. Motherwell did a display for Joe Wark at the Celtic game the other week. (Couldn't have a silence due to the opposition) and have done flags and displays in the past for similar things.

It does seem based on my social media feed and the likes that an element of the Rangers support have turned remembrance weekend and the build up into a bit of an event, which while good for the charities, always has a slightly sinister undertone for me. (A big GIRUY across the city basically and a bit of point scoring)

Did the artillery gun just stumble across Ibrox then?

http://willievass.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/071115-Rangers-v-Alloa-Athletic/G0000ZIbwhY4nIC0/I0000.YTAvWUiek0/C0000xV4wGy.94ug

Edited by Squirrelhumper

It does seem based on my social media feed and the likes that an element of the Rangers support have turned remembrance weekend and the build up into a bit of an event, which while good for the charities, always has a slightly sinister undertone for me. (A big GIRUY across the city basically and a bit of point scoring)

That's exactly what it seems to be used as.

I'd agree with that. The whole thing makes me feel quite uncomfortable and I was actually glad I was running late on Saturday and not in the ground for it.

Cannon is there for all home games. Broxi Bear gets fired out of it with the match ball. Lands bang on the kick off spot every time. It really is a spectacle to behold.

Pretty much the same as me. I support the Erskine Hospital year round as it's a local charity I believe in. The Poppy is just a visible sign of that support that is really not essential. I don't need other folk to validate my personal choices.

Good man, my Papa was at Erskine in his later years so my family has always donated to them and has charity days for them feom our pub.

Exactly everyone should have their beliefs but be respectful of others too.

Fair enough.

That doesn't sound too OTT by Rangers standards.

Doubt anybody else had a card display, but each to their own. Motherwell did a display for Joe Wark at the Celtic game the other week. (Couldn't have a silence due to the opposition) and have done flags and displays in the past for similar things.

Leicester had a card display (and a helicopter landing on the centre circle with the match ball)

Edited by Glasgowmancity

There's a difference between choosing to wear a poppy or not...that's people's own choice....and deliberately shouting and singing during a minutes silence.

Everyone should respect your right not to wear a poppy, but deliberately disrupting a minutes silence just makes you an ignorant khunt, and allows you no respect at all.

Agreed. As does booing National Anthems.

Guest BlueGaz

I was at church yesterday, I support Rangers, I knew there would be issues at the Celtic game, neither club went through my thoughts yesterday. It is getting boring, but doesn't bother me one iota. Don't care who is using the Poppy for what gain, I wear it because I believe it is the right thing to do the last 2 weeks, and I am proud to remember all those killed in war, especially those I knew. Can't be bothered nowadays with those that have an opinion on almost everything and feel they need to voice it, in one ear, out the other. You should do what you want to do and get on with it. Simples.

Agreed. As does booing National Anthems.

I hate it when folk boo the opposition anthem. Totally disrespectful and frankly embarrassing. These would be the same folk that would get all arsey if it happened to their anthem.

Totally moronic attitude in my opinion.

Disrupting a minutes silence for anyone is worse. Lacks the basic human decency and empathy that is at the core of what the holy willies call Christianity. I prefer to think of it as just being a decent person.