Ross County/ Celtic Minute Silence - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ross County/ Celtic Minute Silence

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately our politicians and media have politicised the issue of remembrance, in an attempt to justify our illegals wars. It's part of the reason i won't wear a poppy.

That doesn't detract from what it actually means to me though. If you can't stand in silence for a moment to remember All victims of All wars, then you need to take a long hard look at yourself IMO.

As for the pish about Remembrance commemorations making you feel "proud"... WTF?!? What's their to be "proud" about in war and millions people killed needlessly? Fecking numbskulls.

As for the pish about Remembrance commemorations making you feel "proud"... WTF?!? What's their to be "proud" about in war and millions people killed needlessly? Fecking numbskulls.

Aye...had a bit of a go at a mate on Saturday night who said he was "gutted" to miss the commemorations at Ibrox and that the card display looked "class"

:mellow:

Lets not forget that quite a lot of Celtic fans travel from Dublin etc.These fans will remember what the British did to their people who stood in a sports ground and were gunned down. I don't condone what happened yesterday or everyother year but I do understand why it happens.[/quote}

I don't believe in that all. You see tricolours all the time at Anfield, Old Trafford and various grounds in England. I've never heard of a minutes silence for remembrance being disrupted down south.

Edited by Pete Gas

Unfortunately our politicians and media have politicised the issue of remembrance, in an attempt to justify our illegals wars. It's part of the reason i won't wear a poppy.

That doesn't detract from what it actually means to me though. If you can't stand in silence for a moment to remember All victims of All wars, then you need to take a long hard look at yourself IMO.

Sometimes war is unfortunately essential. I think there is some pride that Britain and the allies stood up to nazi Germany and there is no denying that remembrance focuses on the two world wars. There was no other choice. I don't think people are taking pride in the fact that millions of people died. It's more that the right thing was done, at least with respect to world war 2, perhaps not for exclusively noble reasons. The world would be a very different place if Britain and its allies had not adopted the stance they did. Is that something that British people should be proud of? Probably. Certainly doesn't merit anyone who feels pride in what Britain did as being labelled a "fecking numbskull".

Sometimes war is unfortunately essential. I think there is some pride that Britain and the allies stood up to nazi Germany and there is no denying that remembrance focuses on the two world wars. There was no other choice. I don't think people are taking pride in the fact that millions of people died. It's more that the right thing was done, at least with respect to world war 2, perhaps not for exclusively noble reasons. The world would be a very different place if Britain and its allies had not adopted the stance they did. Is that something that British people should be proud of? Probably. Certainly doesn't merit anyone who feels pride in what Britain did as being labelled a "fecking numbskull".

Maybe they should feel proud on VE Day then and simply remember the horrors of war, the millions dead (including ordinary civilians) and the utter devastation of towns and cities on Remembrance Day?

I'm pretty happy with my comments above though and maintain anyone who feels proud about remembrance is a "fecking numbskull". You're, of course, totally entitled to disagree and have a big poppy party with flags and play Rule Britannia at full blast.

Absolutely true Bruce that pride should be felt, but public displays of hubris should be reserved for VE Day or the like.

Armistice Day is a solemn occasion. I attended Remembrance events in the past back when most of the crowd could remember the war, and many would have served. Just dignified and reflective silence was observed. No need for military displays or holding cards in the air etc...

Edited by Toepoke

I think it has almost become a political statement to wear a poppy. I wear one, not because I am a Hun ( I'm not), a unionist (definitely not) but because the money goes to ex-servicemen who need it because they have been injured doing their job whether that job was right or wrong.

For me all this talk of illegal wars and Bloody Sunday are irrelevant.

If you don't want to support it fine, but show a little tolerance and decency, respect those who do.

I think it has almost become a political statement to wear a poppy. I wear one, not because I am a Hun ( I'm not), a unionist (definitely not) but because the money goes to ex-servicemen who need it because they have been injured doing their job whether that job was right or wrong.

If you don't want to support it fine, but show a little tolerance and decency, respect those who do.

Far too sensible and reasonable an opinion to be tolerated on here. Expect a hounding shortly :lol:

Edited by redstevie007

Lets not forget that quite a lot of Celtic fans travel from Dublin etc.These fans will remember what the British did to their people who stood in a sports ground and were gunned down. I don't condone what happened yesterday or everyother year but I do understand why it happens.

Fuxsake.

I had to read this twice, because I didn't believe it the first time.

Straight from the 'big excuse book' produced yearly by the sectarian f*ckwits that infest Celtic fan forums.

:blink: :blink:

Agree totally. I don't wear a poppy because it has been politicised. I do however always make donations to the Poppy Scotland collection guys at the supermarket.

There's a difference between choosing to wear a poppy or not...that's people's own choice....and deliberately shouting and singing during a minutes silence.

Everyone should respect your right not to wear a poppy, but deliberately disrupting a minutes silence just makes you an ignorant khunt, and allows you no respect at all.

I'd love to know how many have ever been near a Church in their puff.

Lets not kid ourselves that this type of event at Ibrox is nothing more than a big getitupyou to the catholics across the city.Both of them ruined the Referendum(in the WoS) and they piss on the graves of dead soldiers with their bigoted football shite.It is unbelievable that in 2015 in Scotland these morons are allowed to get away with their shit without anybody saying boo to them.

Every year, every feckin' year now, we get this pish. And it is getting worse as both sides of the 'divide' increasingly play politics with it. When I was younger, most people wore a poppy and remembered those from the community who had died in both wars. In my village the scouts, guides and various others accompanied all of the surviving veterans on the parade to the war memorial in the village. Nobody really questioned it much that I can remember, but then nor did we get the militaristic, flag waving shite that seems to be emerging nowadays and which most of the veterans I've known would have been completely contemptuous of. Back then in any community there were people all round you who would have had first hand memories of what war was really like. Then again if someone didn't wear a poppy I don't think anyone cared much or commented on it, it was a personal thing. If there was such a thing as a minutes silence at football matches then I certainly have no memory of it.

Edited by Pool Q