Tamb Cycling Thread - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Started cycling to work at the start of the summer 20miles e/w.

Got a Triban 500se from Decathlon for £300.

My route was the second half of the annual pedal for Scotland route to Edinburgh. Really enjoyed it but the only thing I'd say is that the number of run ins I've ended up having with idiot drivers is frightening. There's really no better way to feel alive getting squeezed past at 50-60mph! Anyone thinking about it I started and really didn't have a clue.... After a few weeks I was doing 200miles a week without it feeling like a chore. You don't need a fancy carbon bike despite every magazine/shop steering you that way.

I'd thought about getting an upgrade but the missus' wont entertain road cycling. Will most likely now get us both off-road/cross types to see the surrounding countryside (stay in Falkirk so forth valley are is brilliant for trails etc)

thing with carbon fibre bikes is ; energy in - performance out , huge difference i find to other bikes

am not sure the exact science behind it, but you don't seem to lose much energy transfer thru frame as so rigid

i got back into it a few years, after dabbling in my teen years on the old raleigh frames and toe clips

i would love to get all the white van man mentality drivers out on a bike for a week in traffic then come back with their comments

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started cycling to work at the start of the summer 20miles e/w.

Got a Triban 500se from Decathlon for £300.

My route was the second half of the annual pedal for Scotland route to Edinburgh. Really enjoyed it but the only thing I'd say is that the number of run ins I've ended up having with idiot drivers is frightening. There's really no better way to feel alive getting squeezed past at 50-60mph! Anyone thinking about it I started and really didn't have a clue.... After a few weeks I was doing 200miles a week without it feeling like a chore. You don't need a fancy carbon bike despite every magazine/shop steering you that way.

I'd thought about getting an upgrade but the missus' wont entertain road cycling. Will most likely now get us both off-road/cross types to see the surrounding countryside (stay in Falkirk so forth valley are is brilliant for trails etc)

Trick for that, just buy your next bike in same color as your triban and hope she doesn't notice. An upgrade will still be cheaper than a year of doing that commute by car or public transport

thing with carbon fibre bikes is ; energy in - performance out , huge difference i find to other bikes

am not sure the exact science behind it, but you don't seem to lose much energy transfer thru frame as so rigid

i got back into it a few years, after dabbling in my teen years on the old raleigh frames and toe clips

i would love to get all the white van man mentality drivers out on a bike for a week in traffic then come back with their comments

Don't disagree carbon bikes are better but at a novice level there's far bigger gains to be made through technique/fitness than buying a better bike.

Agree 100% on the Drivers though. Sometimes the worst folk are those who simply don't treat you like another driver rather than the antagonistic types.

I have a Ridgeback steel framed tourer for the commute to work and a carbon Wilier for sportives and longer weekend rides. I got my mountain bike nicked in Paris a few years ago so now have a big Abus D lock. I have a Garmin edge to record rides but don't use Strava as I'm usually at the bottom of all the lists!

A few years ago I got in to bike touring abroad and sometimes combine them with Scotland games. For example this year, I cycled from Glasgow to Dublin for the game and back. After the Gib game I cycled up to Lisbon for my flight home. There is a great freedom in cycling with a kilt, tent and roll mat in the panniers.

• 2 weeks later...

Just looked at my numbers for the year, total of 1,749km with 19,234m of elevation gain. Might try and round these both up by the end of the year, although seeing as it's snowing today most of it will need to be done on the turbo - not much climbing on that.

Any roadies been to Majorca? Discussing going away somewhere for +/-5 days in April, but I'm worried there's not enough options and will end up repeating climbs?

Beware

It's really steep, some of the climbs are brutal. Pro tour teams train there for a reason. You will have lots of toured o choose, but temp will be on its way back up so be prepared to suffer

Beware

It's really steep, some of the climbs are brutal. Pro tour teams train there for a reason. You will have lots of toured o choose, but temp will be on its way back up so be prepared to suffer

Cheers. Steep I can just about cope with, and have a knack of coping with whatever temperature comes my way :D

I've done 2297km this year, no idea what elevation, map my fitness disnae give that. Id like to do a lot more next year, will be stepping up the fitness push in Jan to pack in the miles. Thinking of doing a bike summer bike holiday.

I've done 2297km this year, no idea what elevation, map my fitness disnae give that. Id like to do a lot more next year, will be stepping up the fitness push in Jan to pack in the miles. Thinking of doing a bike summer bike holiday.

I went to the Alps for a week this year - 4 days of slow grinding climbs and three days watching the pros do it as if they were descending.

Next year looks like an early holiday, which will free up time later in the year for a couple of sportives, I guess.

I went to the Alps for a week this year - 4 days of slow grinding climbs and three days watching the pros do it as if they were descending.

Next year looks like an early holiday, which will free up time later in the year for a couple of sportives, I guess.

Sheesh! I'd need to train for 10 years to take the bike to the Alps :lol:

I need to master the art of getting energy into my body quickly, stamina isn't a problem, it's a fuel thing!

Sheesh! I'd need to train for 10 years to take the bike to the Alps :lol:

I need to master the art of getting energy into my body quickly, stamina isn't a problem, it's a fuel thing!

:-))

Energy bars and gels are good, along with the drinks (I use Science in Sport, but I'm sure they're all much of a muchness). But even things like rice cakes, peanut butter/jam sandwiches and so on are very good.

Any roadies been to Majorca? Discussing going away somewhere for +/-5 days in April, but I'm worried there's not enough options and will end up repeating climbs?

Have a look at Girona also.

It's the European base for a lot of pro teams and there's about 50 pros living there either permanently or during the road season.

Plenty of options for different types of rides along great roads with very little traffic.

It's a great little place for a night out also.

Don't know of anywhere else of equal size that has such a high standard and volume of places to eat out.

Have a look at Girona also.

It's the European base for a lot of pro teams and there's about 50 pros living there either permanently or during the road season.

Plenty of options for different types of rides along great roads with very little traffic.

It's a great little place for a night out also.

Don't know of anywhere else of equal size that has such a high standard and volume of places to eat out.

:ok: Will add to the list of possibles. Cheers

Very similar distance to me so far this year (2382km). I'd like to have hit at least that by June next year.

Btw, Strava will give you your elevation.

Very similar distance to me so far this year (2382km). I'd like to have hit at least that by June next year.

Btw, Strava will give you your elevation.

Just had a look on Strava...never noticed that the yearly totals were there.

This year I have done 5709km with 45,465m climbing....not done one metre in 8 weeks since completing IM Barcelona...motivation has gone since achieving the one goal I really wanted to achieve.

I tend only to cycle between March/ April and September anyway...maybe ned to get on my mountain bike over the winter...not used it for 4 years