Tamb Cycling Thread - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good effort. 3 minutes is nothing over that distance. If anything alters my times it's nearly always the wind.

Checked the wind, not much of a change between the two rides, although the stronger of the two was a tailwind up one hill. If I'm being honest the last two days weren't worth commenting on (despite an improved segment time yesterday*) as I had meetings in the mornings before going out, so my nutrition was all over the shop, combined with prolonged lack of sleep maybe I should be ignoring it all :blink:

*With an uphill tailwind. Maybe the wind was the difference? But certainly felt tougher than the data suggests it should've been.

Have a 2yr old Specialized Rockhopper and just got a Specialized Diverge Sport A1 (kind of road bike) in March for the commute to work. Love them both. Considering going for a full road bike next time as loving the speed of the Diverge. Slowly building up the miles and hoping to go for a big summer ride, trying to learn how to get energy into the body constantly and quickly when needed. Love cycling. Using map my fitness, its fine but would like something better but phone based if any suggestions.

The best/worst thing about Strava is comparing your times to others. A lot of elite athletes, and some professionals, live near me. Seeing them climb hills that take me 40 minutes in 20 minutes is a real eye opener to how shite I am!

The best/worst thing about Strava is comparing your times to others. A lot of elite athletes, and some professionals, live near me. Seeing them climb hills that take me 40 minutes in 20 minutes is a real eye opener to how shite I am!

Aye, I know what you mean...I just now stick to beating my own targets.

I was really disappointed when they launched 'Strava Live' a few months back...I used to like how a quick glance would tell you your average speed for the whole ride, now it just tells you your current speed at that moment - The new layout is a total pain in the arse.

Derek, if you are out on the bike that much and fr that long, get a garmin for Christmas. Let's you set up how you want, and can see current, average, distance , and with the attachments to your bike can see heart rate and cadence. Well worth the money and keeps the phone tucked away and not draining it's battery

Derek, if you are out on the bike that much and fr that long, get a garmin for Christmas. Let's you set up how you want, and can see current, average, distance , and with the attachments to your bike can see heart rate and cadence. Well worth the money and keeps the phone tucked away and not draining it's battery

Agree with this.The Garmin has been great.No messing about with magnets just turn it on and it works. I probably don't even gather half the information it can provide.

Can the data be uploaded to Strava?

AFAIK yes, I have the Garmin 500 on my Christmas list.

Try to get out every 2nd/3rd weekend or as much as I can get away with. It's like planning Scotland matches as disappearing for 5 hours on a weekend morning doesn't always go down too well.!

Try to do 3 or 4 sportives over the summer also, done Ring of Kerry last 2 years, 170+kms with over 11000 cyclists, great day out..

Have used a Garmin forerunner 305 for years when running...it also has cadence etc for the bike. I bought the 810 early on in the year solely for bike use..great bit of kit.

If you have Garmin Express downloaded it will update to Garmin Connect where you can view your activities, it also syncs to Strava.

Just tried out my new lights for the first time Nestling Solarstorm 6600lm a car flashed me for them being to bright. :yikes3:

maybe he flashed you for riding side to side with another cyclist when the laws single file

or for taking up too much room

or for not pulling in to let a string of cars through when its obvious you should do so

or for riding around with a bunch of your mates on a Sunday in a pelaton fashion

or for riding on the pavements

or for bullying pedestrians out of the way with your bell

maybe he flashed you for riding side to side with another cyclist when the laws single file

or for taking up too much room

or for not pulling in to let a string of cars through when its obvious you should do so

or for riding around with a bunch of your mates on a Sunday in a pelaton fashion

or for riding on the pavements

or for bullying pedestrians out of the way with your bell

hahaha your funny I play by the rules and always will

Started cycling to work at the start of the summer 20miles e/w.

Got a Triban 500se from Decathlon for £300.

My route was the second half of the annual pedal for Scotland route to Edinburgh. Really enjoyed it but the only thing I'd say is that the number of run ins I've ended up having with idiot drivers is frightening. There's really no better way to feel alive getting squeezed past at 50-60mph! Anyone thinking about it I started and really didn't have a clue.... After a few weeks I was doing 200miles a week without it feeling like a chore. You don't need a fancy carbon bike despite every magazine/shop steering you that way.

I'd thought about getting an upgrade but the missus' wont entertain road cycling. Will most likely now get us both off-road/cross types to see the surrounding countryside (stay in Falkirk so forth valley are is brilliant for trails etc)