Anyone Into Watches - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ ] Vintage Heuer

Been wearing one of these a lot recently.

4945544_collectors-corner--heuer-carrera

Unfortunately it's a reproduction not a real vintage but it still looks the business.

I bought it about 10 years ago from the TAG outlet at Gretna, cost about a grand from what I remember.

I dont know what age you think I am, or whst age you class a kid as haha. Since i was working i could always see the time on a screen or clock, and my phone in most cases so just never bothered witb a watch.

phart is also ahead of the curve. Nowadays wearing a watch is a retro statement, like buying beige slacks and flat caps from the Co-op or thinking about going on a cruise.

Is it worth investing in an expensive watch? Obviously will look good and can last for years, but say for future value, do they keep value or a bit like a car, as soon as leaves shop, you can knock 1/3 off value.

When you see the discounts you get in sales you get some idea of the value of a new watch, as an investment second hand, classic watches are a much better option but you need to buy one with papers as there are so many fakes around.

http://auction.catawiki.co.uk/exclusive-watch-auction/friday/2015-11-06

My TAG Heuer 2000 classic. Got it for my 21st from my folks. Currently in getting a battery replacement, picking it up tomorrow.

Sporting a Casio Illuminator in the interim.

tagHeuerQuartz2000Classic_1.jpg

I would love a Rolex, however my missus would skin me as we have more important things to save for, like moving house.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

A guy we were talking to in a bar in Hong Kong claimed that all the EPL footballers and the likes would buy an expensive watch, then buy a good quality copy in Hong Kong for every day wear.

Not sure if it's true, but guy wasn't an obvious bullshitter and had no apparent reason to make it up.

Couldn't be bothered to hunt the guy down he told us to buy from and ended up buying an Armani one from a real jewellers.

I like a nice watch, but more in the £80-200 bracket.

If I don't have a watch on I always feel that something isn't right. I think I get it from my Dad who didn't really give a toss about much in life other than having a decent watch & a decent snooker cue.

The one I have now is a nice Seiko, a present from my wife about 10 years ago that still keeps incredibly accurate time. I also have a pocket watch tattoo with a banner around it saying "Tempus Fugit" so I clearly have a bit of an underlying thing going on about time.

Is it worth investing in an expensive watch? Obviously will look good and can last for years, but say for future value, do they keep value or a bit like a car, as soon as leaves shop, you can knock 1/3 off value.

Malaysian guy at work had around 6-10 Rolex he always bought and sold, claimed they appreciated in value - 1 $20K one was ugly as hell

Cartier le must, Omega Seamaster and Tag Monaco, varies depending on the colour of ma shoes

Tag valued at 3 x cost, you'll not lose money on buying a decent watch

Had a Panerai Luminor for a couple of years.

Next purchase is a Rolex GMT Master