Anyone Into Watches - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a Tag 1500 Series in Saks Fifth Avenue, NYC, on Hogmanay 1996 - still wear it to this day. It cost $550 back then and I've probably paid for it twice over through the years on replacement (leather) straps and 3 or 4 services.

I've not long started with watches, here are the random notes sitting in my Evernote:

[ ] Tissot 516 GL

[ ] Omega seamaster or speedmaster

[ ] Rolex air king

[ ] Bremont

[ ] Longines

[ ] Breitling colt or top time

[ ] Suunto core military

[ ] Eterna

[ ] Panerai

[ ] Vulcain Cricket

[ ] Girard-Perregaux

[ ] Jaeger Lecoultre memovox

[ ] Vintage Heuer

[ ] Patek Phillipe

[ ] Jorg Gray 6500 pre commemorative

Some names on that list I will never have enough money to own, but if I get a move up at work its a used Rolex Air King next.

Is it worth investing in an expensive watch? Obviously will look good and can last for years, but say for future value, do they keep value or a bit like a car, as soon as leaves shop, you can knock 1/3 off value.

They keep it.

I only have lower mid level watches. So far in my collection I have 2 Tissot, 1 Mondaine, 1 Longines, 2 citizen and 1 seiko.

My next purchase will be a Tudor as they represent better value for money than rolex and to be fair, they're pretty much the same watch.

Edited by IAteAllThePies

I have been wearing this for a few years now. Not into lots of spinning dials, I think it just looks too busy.

image.jpg

My favourite watch is;

https://www.firstclasswatches.co.uk/mondaine-quartz-evo-day-date-a6673034411sbb-p-12038/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA0-GxBRDWsePx0pPtp4sBEiQACuTLNjLf8pV2YKxHfFNDE8534OrFH1_1ILz-QDbCk6ybxXMaAluo8P8HAQ

Very simple.

I also have loads of cheap "dress" watches built over a fair period. Whenever I'm about to make a bigger purchase I always get a few in the 20 quid range to try out different styles, sizes etc before going to the jewellers to buy. This gives you an indication of what you want before hand.

It works for me but another watch collector I know thinks it's a waste of time.

I've had more comments on the following watch;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012GPR18K/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1446617156&sr=8-3π=SY200_QL40&keywords=srozi+watch+extra+thin&dpPl=1&dpID=41GpKE5ZpBL&ref=plSrch

Than I have on any my better ones. Generally wear that or one of many rotary watches I have for every day wear.

Edited by IAteAllThePies

Havent wore a watch for about 12 years at least. Have got a decent enough sekonda one sitting in a drawer that probably just needs a battery, would be ideal for daily use.

Have been looking at getting a new one for nicer occasions as i'm about the only person i know that never wears one and I do like the look of a lot of them. Could never justify spending hundreds on one though.

One of my mates must have about 15 decent watches all worth between £150-£800 or so, madness

Have been looking at getting a new one for nicer occasions as i'm about the only person i know that never wears one and I do like the look of a lot of them. Could never justify spending hundreds on one though.

Kids these days don't wear watches. They've gone out of fashion to be honest so you're ahead of the game there...

Kids these days don't wear watches. They've gone out of fashion to be honest so you're ahead of the game there...

I dont know what age you think I am, or whst age you class a kid as haha. Since i was working i could always see the time on a screen or clock, and my phone in most cases so just never bothered witb a watch.