Dortmund Trip - Flight Options? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dortmund Trip - Flight Options?

Me and a few mates are thinking of going over to Dortmund to watch a match but seems flights aren't ideal flying from Scotland.

Is there anyone who has gone before and if so, how did you get there?

Cheers

Get a direct flight to Dusseldorf and get the train to Dortmund.

Lufthansa do a through rail+train ticket to dortmund. Likely involve Koln or Frankfurt.

Did Amsterdam to dortmund last yr was 2h Ish if I recall

IMO, Cologne is the most attractive city, but Dusseldorf is more exciting (stay in the Altstadt area of Dusseldorf).

You should at least consider Bochum (10 mins fron Dortmund) simply for the Bermuda Triangle drinking complex.

I've had some absolutely fantastic nights in Dortmund. There's fun to be had, but you have to do your homework in order to find whatever you're looking for.

IMO, Cologne is the most attractive city, but Dusseldorf is more exciting (stay in the Altstadt area of Dusseldorf).

You should at least consider Bochum (10 mins fron Dortmund) simply for the Bermuda Triangle drinking complex.

I've had some absolutely fantastic nights in Dortmund. There's fun to be had, but you have to do your homework in order to find whatever you're looking for.

This.

You're welcome.

Don't stay in Dortmund.

And if you're planning on taking in a few games, don't stay in Gelsenkirchen either, it's somehow worse.

Cologne is better than Dusseldorf.

I agree, in my opinion Cologne is by far the best option in that area.

Edited by Larky Masher

Nobody on here has ever been to Dortmund.

I have. Its pish. Had the misfortune to stay there for 2 nights during the Christian Dailly game. Total pish. Like a night out in Glenrothes.

Haven't been to Cologne but Dusseldorf was an outstanding day and night on the Saturday before the last game. I would say anywhere other than Dortmund in that area and you will be fine.

The Friday and Saturday nights I spent in Dortmund for the last match were brilliant and that was nothing to do with Scotland being in town. In fact, the bar I spent so much time only had 1 other group of TA in it.

Dortmund (like Kaunas) seems to be somewhere people can take an intense dislike to, but I've had GREAT times in both.

There are good times to be had, but you need to do your homework on Dortmund (and Kaunas).

Dusseldorf and Bochum are straightforward; you head to the Altstadt or the Bermuda Triangle respectively.