Wanky Phrases - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wanky Phrases

The use of 'Fact' as a means of attempting to elevate what is merely your opinion to commandment status.

Like 'end of', it exposes the author's complete intolerance and dismissiveness of any opinion that is contrary to his/her own.

And comprehensively proves that they are a fud at the same time.

Oh, and inappropriate use of smileys as a cover for being nothing other than an internet fannyboy.

On one of my brief excursions into MSM (not MMS as I seem to keep typing for some reason) I heard Jamie Oliver say it was time to 'get medieval' about school dinners or some such. It was only a snippet and once I recognised who was speaking I turned it off. I don't think he was suggesting giving kids a gallon of mead and boiled oat stew for lunch, but was quoting none other than 'Marcellus Wallace'when he turned the tables on his torturers in Pulp Fiction. Now, while Marcellus can pull this off while toting a shotgun in the scenario he was facing, I feel Jamie's use in a Five Live/Radio 4 interview in relation to the nourishment of school age children, qualifies as particularly wanky.

• 2 months later...

Weegies who end sentences with the word "but".

Me: "You going to the game this weekend"?

Weegie: "Aye,but"

But what???????

Even worse are the ones that type it. It happens on here often.

Infuriating.

Similar for other regional accents aswell.

Aberdonian with "fit like" and what is a 'Quine' exactly ?

Dundonian with Eh and peh.

Numerous others from different areas could be brought up.

Worst for me is the cockney slang.

Apples and Pears and Frog and Toad. ????

Also as a Scotsman down here, occasional told to speak the Queens.

Now that does get on my nerves !