Wanky Phrases - Page 11 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wanky Phrases

"Now I am just playing devil's advocate....." used to distance yourself from something you actually believe but don't want to admit to!

A misunderstood expression. It does not mean someone who defends the devil (in the sense of an unpopular person or cause), but someone who points out the faults in a respected person or a good cause, not necessarily because he believes the faults outweigh the goodness, but perhaps because he wishes to be impartial or to ensure balanced discussion.

Just to play devil's advocate for a minute: the use of the term 'troops' to refer to fellow football supporters in a self-styled army is a bit wanky ...

:P

A misunderstood expression. It does not mean someone who defends the devil (in the sense of an unpopular person or cause), but someone who points out the faults in a respected person or a good cause, not necessarily because he believes the faults outweigh the goodness, but perhaps because he wishes to be impartial or to ensure balanced discussion.

I don't have a problem with the expression the issue is when you actually believe what you are saying but just don't have the balls to come out and just admit that is what you actually think is when I have an issue with it,

:P

I don't have a problem with the expression the issue is when you actually believe what you are saying but just don't have the balls to come out and just admit that is what you actually think is when I have an issue with it,

FTR I wasn't suggesting it was misunderstood by anyone on here - just generally!

'Rock up'

as in 'What time shall I rock up' or 'They're hardly going to rock up now'

Just say "arrive" - it's a perfectly good word :angry:

So to clear, we should all just speak in English and any form of slang or alternative phraseology should be outlawed?

Alright Adolf! :-)

Yeah but to be fair "rock up" is a tad wanky ;)

I was more referring to his "just say arrive" comment, rather than that "rock up" wasn't wanky.

Let's take his example. I may have been known in the past to say something like "what time did you trap?" Now, I neither think the use of the word trap was cool nor wanky. It was simply slang/alternative way to say arrive, but by Silverbear's logic arrive is the only acceptable verb in this scenario.

Couple of new ones watching BBCQT tonight.

Sinn Fein MP consistently referring to Northern Ireland as "the North of Ireland" and the Republic of Ireland as "the South of Ireland.

It's that pathetic notion that if I say this often enough it'll be true. Like a child stamping its feet. Well I'm sorry Declan (he really is called Declan btw before anyone starts), I'm sorry, but for the time being you're going to have to accept that "this island" is two countries.

I say the above without the slightest interest in Northerm Irish politics.

Sinn Fein MP consistently referring to Northern Ireland as "the North of Ireland" and the Republic of Ireland as "the South of Ireland.

It's that pathetic notion that if I say this often enough it'll be true. Like a child stamping its feet. Well I'm sorry Declan (he really is called Declan btw before anyone starts), I'm sorry, but for the time being you're going to have to accept that "this island" is two countries.

This repeating of phrases or opinions which hold no basis in fact is what most politicians do most of the time. The media seem loathe to take them to task about it too.

Anyway I'll throw in "a small minority" when referring to a large majority.

..or knowledge. What's wrong with what he said?

'Rock up'

as in 'What time shall I rock up' or 'They're hardly going to rock up now'

Just say "arrive" - it's a perfectly good word :angry:

I picked that one up when I lived in Canada, dont think I use it here much bit when im talking to from there it still appears. Sorrt

I was more referring to his "just say arrive" comment, rather than that "rock up" wasn't wanky.

Let's take his example. I may have been known in the past to say something like "what time did you trap?" Now, I neither think the use of the word trap was cool nor wanky. It was simply slang/alternative way to say arrive, but by Silverbear's logic arrive is the only acceptable verb in this scenario.

People in my work speak about "dropping"

As in "dave didnt drop today" meaning dave didnt turn up for his shift. stupid saying