Wanky Phrases - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wanky Phrases

When people refer to food as grub - makes me feel sick.

Referring to busy periods as pinch points.

People who pronounce espresso as expresso.

Espresso vs. expresso

Expresso started as a misspelling of espresso, which came to English from Italian and refers to a strong, pressure-brewed coffee. But because expresso has so often appeared in place of espresso, we can perhaps consider it a variant. And indeed, some dictionaries now list it as such. This doesn’t change the fact that many English speakers consider expresso wrong, however, and some will no doubt continue to do so no matter how common it becomes. So if you don’t want anyone to think you’re wrong, espresso is the safer choice.

It’s also worth noting that expresso is the French word for the pressure-brewed coffee, and this perhaps has had some small influence on English usage.

As I work in I.T. the number of phrases used that could go up here is almost infinite but the one that bugs me the most right now is referring to any bit of physical device as "tin".

For example, when will the tin be ready for the OS to be installed.

If it was a tin you wouldn't be installing anything except for a bit of string, maybe!

'Alex Salmond jist wants to be King' - code for I am a shitebag No voter but I don't like admiting it, even to myself,

C

'if it was up tae me' - usually uttered by delusional people with no responsibilities,often without full view of situation.

'it it wisnae for ...' - insert someone or something to blame

when i was a kid I hated folk saying, that a big 10 4 to indicate their strength of feeling. cb radio, wonder if that still exists

'Alex Salmond jist wants to be King' - code for I am a shitebag No voter but I don't like admiting it, even to myself,

C

'if it was up tae me' - usually uttered by delusional people with no responsibilities,often without full view of situation.

'it it wisnae for ...' - insert someone or something to blame

when i was a kid I hated folk saying, that a big 10 4 to indicate their strength of feeling. cb radio, wonder if that still exists

negatory good budy ?

'Decisionising' and 'solutionising' have both been used in my presence in meetings recently. As has 'comms back' although I was half asleep when that was used so not at sure of meaning or context. 'Deep dive due diligence' is a stoater as well, even if, in the proper context, that does at least just about mean something.

"Huddle" meaning a staff meeting about utter shite

"I'll pick up with...(insert name)"

"Annual leave" nut, just off. There's actually s in my work who say they are going on annual leave

"Lunch" it's dinner - usually said by posh twat torys

"Dinner" it's tea - see above

"A few beers" - to qualify I mean the people who drink lager or spirits yet still like to say they are going for a few beers because it's "cool"

"The movies" - it's the pictures. I can just about handle the cinema

"commercial break" - away ti'

"Yeah" "sweet" "totally" ✊

Edit: Yes I am a crabbit

its always been called annual leave in the fire service,possibly plod as well and I've only got one more group of annual leave left and I'm outta there :wave:

Espresso vs. expresso

Expresso started as a misspelling of espresso, which came to English from Italian and refers to a strong, pressure-brewed coffee. But because expresso has so often appeared in place of espresso, we can perhaps consider it a variant. And indeed, some dictionaries now list it as such. This doesn’t change the fact that many English speakers consider expresso wrong, however, and some will no doubt continue to do so no matter how common it becomes. So if you don’t want anyone to think you’re wrong, espresso is the safer choice.

It’s also worth noting that expresso is the French word for the pressure-brewed coffee, and this perhaps has had some small influence on English usage.

Just let me have a moan :lol:

'Decisionising' and 'solutionising' have both been used in my presence in meetings recently. As has 'comms back' although I was half asleep when that was used so not at sure of meaning or context. 'Deep dive due diligence' is a stoater as well, even if, in the proper context, that does at least just about mean something.

I think some of those could/would induce either projectile vomiting or outbursts of laughter if I heard them in a serious tone. :lol:

"niggah"

I inadvertently watched a fight on you tube between a bunch of fat white Americans in a garage... They were all calling each other "niggahs" while knocking out of each other. Maybe it is the end of times after all.

You're only allowed to use it gratuitously if you are black. Then in the next breath act all mortified if a white man uses it.

My former boss was, well, a w@nk. No social skills (at all), and promoted way, way above his skill level (talked a good game).

He used to invent a phrase on almost a weekly basis (he considered himself an intellectual).

So, someone dirties the public toilet.

Someone's shat aw oo'er the bog = biological vandalism

We had a map room on the top floor.

It's a room for storing maps = geographically-focussed research room

My former boss was, well, a w@nk. No social skills (at all), and promoted way, way above his skill level (talked a good game).

He used to invent a phrase on almost a weekly basis (he considered himself an intellectual).

So, someone dirties the public toilet.

Someone's shat aw oo'er the bog = biological vandalism

We had a map room on the top floor.

It's a room for storing maps = geographically-focussed research room

Was your boss David Brent?

LOL

Fvcking hate that! ? Especially folk who drop it into sentences/texts when there's no even anything remotely funny where they certainly didn't even smile let alone laugh loudly.

ie. "Just took the bins out, how windy is it today? LOL"

And dinnae even get me started on the complete cockwombles who actually say LOL as a word ?