Maws 60Th Birthday - Present Help - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Maws 60Th Birthday - Present Help

My maw is 60 in a few weeks and i'm totally stumped as to what to get her.

My only thought thus far is to get a good selection of all the old photos she has of me and my brothers growing up, scan them in to the PC and get a photobook made online.

What did other folk get their mum for her 60th, so that i can steal your ideas? ;)

Cheers

Do as above but load them onto an ipad or similar for her. Recently got my Mum a Hudl2 following her surprising success with a Hudl1. Was a bit reticent because she was in her 70's when I first gave her a tablet, but she loves it now, and is quite capable of playing card games etc on it.

Edited by killiefaetheferry

My only thought thus far is to get a good selection of all the old photos she has of me and my brothers growing up, scan them in to the PC and get a photobook made online.

What did other folk get their mum for her 60th, so that i can steal your ideas? ;)

Cheers

Parkie I'm in the same situation but she will be away for her 60th so I've got a wee bit extra time. The photo book thing is a great present, I got one for my 21st from my parents and really liked it. Considering the same for my mum. But still want to get her something to keep as well. My dad has nae idea either.

My mate and his sister got their Mum a very snazzy book full of photographs which they bought from Snapfish. Looks very professional. They also contacted various people beforehand including me, for anecdotes and general thoughts which were then incorporated into the book beside all the photos. I was so impressed, I'm going to get something similar for my own Mum.

Cheers

My mum was 60 in February and that was one of things we got her. We did it through Tesco i'm sure online.

She went to New York for 5 nights with my sister and we got her dollars for that.

My dad wasn't fussed about NY, he's 60 in July so think he, my brother, my uncle and myself are going on a Whisky Tour of Scotland for a week.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

Photobooks are a great gift idea now. You can be really creative with them.

Made up a set of photo placemats & coasters for my mum's birthday recently using Asda's website. Didn't cost a fortune and went down a storm.

Edited by Toepoke

Cheers

Only just seen this post and that was my first thought.

Something like that goes a long, long way further compared to anything money can buy.

We clubbed together and got my mum a flying lesson. For my 50th, my sister's clubbed together and got me a trip in the sea plane from Loch Lomond. It was utterly brilliant and I would recommend it - though I had a beautiful day for it weatherwise, which helped.

We clubbed together and got my mum a flying lesson. For my 50th, my sister's clubbed together and got me a trip in the sea plane from Loch Lomond. It was utterly brilliant and I would recommend it - though I had a beautiful day for it weatherwise, which helped.

I thought about getting my mum the sea plane trip to loch lomond but she gets scared if you go above 40mph in the car. It would have been a waste I think.

hqdefault.jpg

I thought about getting my mum the sea plane trip to loch lomond but she gets scared if you go above 40mph in the car. It would have been a waste I think.

hqdefault.jpg

Hard to know as it's all individual but I didn't find it fast. I was a bit worried as I'm crap with heights (can't go above the third floor in a glass lift without freaking out) but I absolutely loved it and found it very calming. The landing was amazing and way smoother than a normal plane landing.

52 year old mother here. Photograph book is great idea but would suggest you do something more personal than online book. For my daughters 21st i bought a photo album from tx maxx and a basic craft set online. Dug out old photos of her an family from from baby age onwards and glued them in the album chronologically. The more ridiculous the photo the better. Put daft comments or speech bubbles on each photo. Having seen some of yer posts on this board i have no doubt you have a sense of humour ......

Glued her first baby teeth into a smiling shape on another page and drew a face around it. 'May prove a bit tricky to find yer maws first teeth right enough. Tarted ( no suggesting for one minute yer maw is a tart) the pages up a bit with glitter and stick on shapes from the craft set. If you are far too heterosexual for all that i am sure you will have a girlfriend or wife that can help . Can guarantee yer mum will love it unless of course she is expecting a 10 grand necklace. Alternatively you can get her a ticket to the bay city rollers reunion concert and a pair of tartan trousers..

52 year old mother here. Photograph book is great idea but would suggest you do something more personal than online book. For my daughters 21st i bought a photo album from tx maxx and a basic craft set online. Dug out old photos of her an family from from baby age onwards and glued them in the album chronologically. The more ridiculous the photo the better. Put daft comments or speech bubbles on each photo. Having seen some of yer posts on this board i have no doubt you have a sense of humour ......

Glued her first baby teeth into a smiling shape on another page and drew a face around it. 'May prove a bit tricky to find yer maws first teeth right enough. Tarted ( no suggesting for one minute yer maw is a tart) the pages up a bit with glitter and stick on shapes from the craft set. If you are far too heterosexual for all that i am sure you will have a girlfriend or wife that can help . Can guarantee yer mum will love it unless of course she is expecting a 10 grand necklace. Alternatively you can get her a ticket to the bay city rollers reunion concert and a pair of tartan trousers..

I assumed Parkie meant he'd get them scanned, uploaded, printed online & posted but I agree needs to be proper pictures in a real photo album.

My mate's sister did this for his recent 50th and asked myself and others to contribute pics which I think she copied at somewhere like Boots.

Also added the comments etc as you suggest.

I saw the finished product and thought it was excellent, especially as it probably includes pictures the birthday person has never seen or long forgotten.

I have to question your judgement about Parkie having a sense of humour though. :shocked::wink2::lol:

Edited by fringo

Thanks. I'm not too heterosexual to do a book by sticking in pictures. I'm just about as arty as a turd on a carpet, so it would look fecking shite. The online books are pretty good. My maw made a couple herself from holidays shes been on and really loved them. That's what gave me the idea.

Finding old photos would be my main challenge for the photo book I think. Dads 60th next year and I think I'll just take him away a weekends golfing or something.

Aye, dads are easy to get for. For my dads 60th we took him across to Ireland for the weekend and went to the racing.

I'm thinking of combining the photobook with a spa day or something. Thought about the seaplane but i'd have to buy 2 so she had someone to go with, which would be a bit more than i'd like to spend.

Honestly Parkie the shittier and more homemade it looks the better. My daughters book looked like it had been done by a P2 class but she thought it was hilarious. Admittedly tho i am a complete technophobe so go with what you feel more comfortable with. I would use it as a sort off memory book , mothers keep hunners of sentimental pish , i have a large holdall full of photos, wedding cards, baby cards, concert tickets , football tickets, holiday mementoes, hand written letters from the ' olden days'. your mum may have something similar for her interests. It may seem like a bit of hassle but it would be worth it. You could maybe use that jukebox thread from a couple of months back to find the number one song on the day she was born as a start and make some sort of reference to it.

Infact you could employ Scunnered to do a bit of digging, will give him something to do if he is still in the TAMB sin bin and give him something to moan about other than the snp.....:-)

Anyway good luck with whatever you choose.

Honestly Parkie the shittier and more homemade it looks the better. My daughters book looked like it had been done by a P2 class but she thought it was hilarious. Admittedly tho i am a complete technophobe so go with what you feel more comfortable with. I would use it as a sort off memory book , mothers keep hunners of sentimental pish , i have a large holdall full of photos, wedding cards, baby cards, concert tickets , football tickets, holiday mementoes, hand written letters from the ' olden days'. your mum may have something similar for her interests. It may seem like a bit of hassle but it would be worth it. You could maybe use that jukebox thread from a couple of months back to find the number one song on the day she was born as a start and make some sort of reference to it.

Infact you could employ Scunnered to do a bit of digging, will give him something to do if he is still in the TAMB sin bin and give him something to moan about other than the snp.....:-)

Anyway good luck with whatever you choose.

Thanks a lot. Will have a think. Might get things like the No.1 when me and my brothers were born etc. Cheers :ok:

I shall not be letting Scunnered near any of my family pics... :lol: