Snp Not Radical Enough... ? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Snp Not Radical Enough... ?

I see the BBC reporting that the conference members voted against a motion to have an outright ban on fracking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-34552962

There was also criticism on C4 news (from mainly pro-SNP people) last night after the SNP not going far enough with the Land Reform Bill. It seems that they stopped short of enforced buy-outs and are leaving it to the good grace of the landlords - so I guess it's fair to expect little change. I guess if they were to enforce buy-outs then they'd be under huge criticism and comparisons to communist Russia , etc. so it's effectively a no-win but should they have went further rather than talk a good game?

On one hand, the SNP are doing good to hold the center ground and try to appeal to as broad a base as possible.

On the other hand, they send out a message that is left-of-centre and of social justice.

It seems that their actions are not always matching their rhetoric. It's also only fair to recognise that are the closest thing to that left of centre message (when compared to Lab/Con/Lib anyway) but that doesn't mean that the SNP are quite matching up to expectations.

The question is - where can/should the SNP be bolder and more progressive and which specific policies should this touch?

Utterly fecking pathetic. They are losing the plot.

This, their continual council tax freezing and the new reduce business rate powers mean they'll not be getting either of my votes in 2016.

This, their continual council tax freezing and the new reduce business rate powers mean they'll not be getting either of my votes in 2016.

Good for you. Let's keep the unionists ruling.

No one has ever won shit on a 'radical' ticket. This is an inevitable strategic repositioning post No. Land reform died with the NO especially.

The SNp are going to sit in the centre ground from now until the next referendum (a very difficult task IMHO). So I welcome the more radical supporters to off in disgust. In fact I would encourage it. The SNP should recognize that they need to decline before they will rise again. Dont fear it. Don't pander to the left and don't pander to the right both utter whanks. If necessary stick to your position and step back and let the voters experience the left if they want it. The SNP are not going to hold 55 seats for 10-20 years and then we have a 2nd referendum. It is going to be a rough ride with an inevitable decline. And this 'not left enough' pish is just the start of it. Too radical...not radical enough... wont matter. Hold the centre, remain reasonable to all. Radicals destroy themselves every time.

Edited by thplinth

No one has ever won shit on a 'radical' ticket. This is an inevitable strategic repositioning post No. Land reform died with the NO especially.

The SNp are going to sit in the centre ground from now until the next referendum (a very difficult task IMHO). So I welcome the more radical supporters to off in disgust. In fact I would encourage it. The SNP should recognize that they need to decline before they will rise again. Dont fear it. Don't pander to the left and don't pander to the right both utter whanks. If necessary stick to your position and step back and let the voters experience the left if they want it. The SNP are not going to hold 55 seats for 10-20 years and then we have a 2nd referendum. It is going to be a rough ride with an inevitable decline. And this 'not left enough' pish is just the start of it. Too radical...not radical enough... wont matter. Hold the centre, remain reasonable to all. Radicals destroy themselves every time.

I don't disagree with you but the thing is - how radical is land reform and banning fracking?

Are they not just common sense reasonable policies which would be supported by the majority of people?

It's a bit of a sad day if we are scared off from such policies.

I can see all that being spun into a huge SNP loony left anti business anti capitalism shaft over by the BBC and the rest of corporate media cocksuckers from now to the end of time. Of course these ideas are good ideas. But so was Independence and we all watched in utter horror as they they all coalesced into one force to lie and scheme to destroy it by any means possible. Wise up, idealism is so last century. We could have taken a stance had we gone Yes but now it is back to staying in the game and survival. Go vote Labour or Tory if you prefer. I hate the fact the SNP are so popular post No vote. I'd much prefer Scunnered or Alan's parties were in power right now, much. Are you (talking generally here) pissed off with the SNP? good vote for someone else.

1945 incumbent war leader with 83% approval rating lost an election to a party supporting the Beveridge report. Admittedly it required the end of a massive war to motivate people to adopt social reform.

Calling a referendum at the very first opportunity we had and without a lead in any poll is the essence of standing for what you believe in. The SNP was/is (i hope) primarily about independence. If other things are more important then join another party. Don't hijack the SNP and at the same destroy the main and most realistic chance of Independence. The SNP is not the vehicle for your (left or right wing) goals. It already has a long established aim.

It's not about being radical. It's about standing up for what you believe in. The SNP are saying one thing and doing another. It's saddening.

Calling a referendum at the very first opportunity we had and without a lead in any poll is the essence of standing for what you believe in. The SNP was/is (i hope) primarily about independence. If other things are more important then join another party. Don't hijack the SNP and at the same destroy the main and most realistic chance of Independence. The SNP is not the vehicle for your (left or right wing) goals. It already has a long established aim.

Observation from an interested outsider. When I heard the SNP talking about 'social justice' and 'greater equality' and it didn't seem like empty rhetoric, I thought you lucky b*stards. You' ve got a political party worth something. A genuine worthy alternative to the bullsh*t pantomime of Westminster. I don't know for certain but think that must have resonated with many of those who voted Yes in the referendum, that these would be central tenets of a new Independent Scotland. Surely, if that same party then goes on to demonstrate that this was nothing more than empty rhetoric, it can only harm or hinder future hopes of Independence. Surely independence stands for more than the same old sh*t but it's ok because it's all of your own doing?

The end justify the means?

in other words dont do anything to the machine while it carries out it's mission regardless of the by-products of said action.

Yeah I wish (well I don't actually). This is not a question of being ruthless to win. It is more being ruthless to simply survive so that if the mood does swing in back (in x years) we are in a position to get another vote. Look at the SNP we have Flora and Lamia under one umbrella. How are we going to be radical and please both of them at the same time. This is not what the SNp was designed for and it tries it will destroy itself. I think this is the obvious goal for some and to be honest I am starting to think why not. Just for the lolz when the alternatives start to materialize.

I have passed on this message to Nicola.She is distraught. You have spoilt her weekend.

Observation from an interested outsider. When I heard the SNP talking about 'social justice' and 'greater equality' and it didn't seem like empty rhetoric, I thought you lucky b*stards. You' ve got a political party worth something. A genuine worthy alternative to the bullsh*t pantomime of Westminster. I don't know for certain but think that must have resonated with many of those who voted Yes in the referendum, that these would be central tenets of a new Independent Scotland. Surely, if that same party then goes on to demonstrate that this was nothing more than empty rhetoric, it can only harm or hinder future hopes of Independence. Surely independence stands for more than the same old sh*t but it's ok because it's all of your own doing?

Yeah that was all very presumptuous. I have no idea how Scotland's political profile would have turned out.

Waste of time Bzzzz. Parkie doesn't want to upset him indoors. Or as we call him here on the board, Scunnered.

Don't be such a fvcking idiot. I've met Scunnered once in my life. Stop trying to make this about me. Away and bore everyone by talking about how you live in America.

I think there are bad times coming for the SNP. I have no idea how they will proceed from here strategically speaking. Already just one year past the vote we can see people turning on them for not being 'radical' enough. Problem is every on here has a different view of what radical means...The SNP are in an impossible situation of 55 seats (woohoo look at my massive cock) but also having their balls cut off by the No vote (oooooo). They are in power but with nowhere to go.

Let Scunnered or Alan's crew get stuck in. You are only delaying the chance of a second referendum by staying on in power at this stage.