Gordon Strachan Signs A New 4 Year Deal - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gordon Strachan Signs A New 4 Year Deal

Debian

I'm glad Strach's staying.

It's interesting that all those who want Strachan out don't offer any (realistic) names to replace him with.

Feel free to suggest a foreign candidate for manager, I'm not opposed to us having another one some day in the future. However, when you consider the Scottish candidates, it's not too good....

If Strachan had went, the only currently free manager Scottish manager that I'd consider would be Paul Lambert. And even then, I don't think he'd be an improvement on Strachan.

Derek McInnes and Alex Neil, are worth a shout but there is no way either would want the job considering how well they are doing at their clubs.

David Moyes would just be Levein all over again. Hopelessly over-rated manager. And even if he got the job and started winning games, he'd be certain to do a McLeish if an English Premier League team came calling. Not doing well over in Spain right now either.

Whilst Dougie Freedman or Steve Clarke would be a re-enactment of Burley's magical mystery tour.

Alex McLeish burnt his bridges long ago.

And finally. If anyone seriously thinks Alex Ferguson would take the job, then you are an idiot.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm quite glad he is staying as well, but I'm not really too bothered either way. I don't think the manager makes a huge difference. Our players just aren't good enough. And worryingly there doesn't seem to be many good youngsters coming through.

Next campaign we have England who always qualify with ease. This is another easy group for them. We might even manage to sneak a win against them, but if we do that will be the high point of the campaign for us.

Slovakia - (qualified for EURO2016) they are much better than us.

Slovenia - in the playoff, they might not get through but they are as good if not better than us. Two very tough games for us.

Lithuania - always below us in the rankings but we usually struggle against them mainly due to their fitness and athleticism which is an area where we can't match them.

Matla - they were until recently one of the few real minnows left in Europe. Not any more - just look at their results in the recent qualification. They only conceded more than 2 goals once. In their 4 games against Italy and Croatia they only conceded a total of 5 goals. We will struggle against them. We always struggle against teams like them.

We will finish 4th in the group. Our players just aren't good enough to get up to 2nd place.

I'm quite glad he is staying as well, but I'm not really too bothered either way. I don't think the manager makes a huge difference. Our players just aren't good enough. And worryingly there doesn't seem to be many good youngsters coming through.

Next campaign we have England who always qualify with ease. This is another easy group for them. We might even manage to sneak a win against them, but if we do that will be the high point of the campaign for us.

Slovakia - (qualified for EURO2016) they are much better than us.

Slovenia - in the playoff, they might not get through but they are as good if not better than us. Two very tough games for us.

Lithuania - always below us in the rankings but we usually struggle against them mainly due to their fitness and athleticism which is an area where we can't match them.

Matla - they were until recently one of the few real minnows left in Europe. Not any more - just look at their results in the recent qualification. They only conceded more than 2 goals once. In their 4 games against Italy and Croatia they only conceded a total of 5 goals. We will struggle against them. We always struggle against teams like them.

We will finish 4th in the group. Our players just aren't good enough to get up to 2nd place.

Sadly i agree with this

The reporter says "Gordon Strachan is expected to stay on as Scotland manager, BBC Sport has learned."

Was he reading the TAMB?

Strachan's decision to stay on for the World Cup 2018 campaign has been influenced by the backing he received from the Tartan Army during Sunday's win over Gibraltar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34513420

I think the problem lies with some of the fans. People think it's our right to be in the finals, but we're at best an average team. I'm not accepting or celebrating failure but what gives us the right to think we're better than Poland or even Ireland? We are a shite footballing nation and have been for the past God knows how long.

Strachan has giving us a bit of hope for once, we don't go into every game thinking we'll get humped.

He's taken an average team and made them just above average. That's where we sit. We aren't world beaters and we definitely don't deserve to think we should be in the finals Caus we aren't better than the other teams in our group.

People need to start being realistic and realise that the players at his disposal whether he has played them or left them on the bench aren't that great.

Managers make a team, let's not reduce their importance.

Porto should never have won the Champions League, nor should Inter Milan, yet Mourinho somehow dragged them to it. Greece should never have won the Euros, nor Denmark, yet having managers who got so much more out of their team that they should have, enabled them to do so.

People sticking with Strachan out of fear of getting no one else just sound like beat up wives who are scared to leave their husbands. We might get Bobby Williamson and he ends up being brilliant, who the hell knows.

Strachan failed, accept it, he isn't some great white hope, he isn't the saviour. Levein, Burley, Calderwood and every other person including me, Jackie Bird and Danny Alexander would have achieved 4th place in this group.

If you read soccernomics (a book that analysis the statistics of football) you'll find it difficult to disagree with the conclusion that managers make very little difference to football results. Apart from the first few matches of a new managers reign then results are pretty much indifferent. They do mentiont there are a few exceptional managers who break the pattern like mourinho but the vast majority make no difference.

Unfortunately we are in a horrible generation where fans are far too impatient and the manager merry go rounds are a farce. Strachan has failed but that shouldn't automatically mean he isn't given another chance. I think Scotland can only benefit from continuity from a decent manager, changing manager for the sake of it will just not work.

Porto should never have won the Champions League, nor should Inter Milan, yet Mourinho somehow dragged them to it. Greece should never have won the Euros, nor Denmark, yet having managers who got so much more out of their team that they should have, enabled them to do so.

People sticking with Strachan out of fear of getting no one else just sound like beat up wives who are scared to leave their husbands. We might get Bobby Williamson and he ends up being brilliant, who the hell knows.

Strachan failed, accept it, he isn't some great white hope, he isn't the saviour. Levein, Burley, Calderwood and every other person including me, Jackie Bird and Danny Alexander would have achieved 4th place in this group.

Hahahaha very good. Also agree about your final point also, 4th place could have been achieved by Jimmy Kranky

I think the problem lies with some of the fans. People think it's our right to be in the finals, but we're at best an average team. I'm not accepting or celebrating failure but what gives us the right to think we're better than Poland or even Ireland? We are a shite footballing nation and have been for the past God knows how long.

Strachan has giving us a bit of hope for once, we don't go into every game thinking we'll get humped.

He's taken an average team and made them just above average. That's where we sit. We aren't world beaters and we definitely don't deserve to think we should be in the finals Caus we aren't better than the other teams in our group.

People need to start being realistic and realise that the players at his disposal whether he has played them or left them on the bench aren't that great.

We should have been better than Ireland, they are absolute sh*te

• Marshall (Cardiff)
  • 02 Hutton (Aston Villa)
  • 04 Martin (Norwich)
  • 05 Hanley (Blackburn)
  • 03 Whittaker (Norwich)
  • 08 Brown (Celtic)
  • 07 Fletcher (West Brom)
  • 11 Ritchie (Bournemouth)
  • 10 Naismith (Everton)
  • 06 Forrest (Celtic)
  • 09 Fletcher (Sunderland)
  • 16 Given (Aston Villa)
  • 15 Christie (Derby)
  • 22 Keogh (Derby)
  • 04 O'Shea (Sunderland)
  • 17 Ward (Burnley )
  • 08 McCarthy (Everton)
  • 21 Hendrick (Derby)
  • 19 Brady (Norwich)
  • 11 Hoolahan (Norwich)
  • 18 Murphy (Ipswich )
  • 14 Walters (Stoke)

<p>

We should have been better than Ireland, they are absolute sh*te

• Marshall (Cardiff)
  • 02 Hutton (Aston Villa)
  • 04 Martin (Norwich)
  • 05 Hanley (Blackburn)
  • 03 Whittaker (Norwich)
  • 08 Brown (Celtic)
  • 07 Fletcher (West Brom)
  • 11 Ritchie (Bournemouth)
  • 10 Naismith (Everton)
  • 06 Forrest (Celtic)
  • 09 Fletcher (Sunderland)
  • 16 Given (Aston Villa)
  • 15 Christie (Derby)
  • 22 Keogh (Derby)
  • 04 O'Shea (Sunderland)
  • 17 Ward (Burnley )
  • 08 McCarthy (Everton)
  • 21 Hendrick (Derby)
  • 19 Brady (Norwich)
  • 11 Hoolahan (Norwich)
  • 18 Murphy (Ipswich )
  • 14 Walters (Stoke)
^^^

Exactly - yet the 'know our place' brigade are happy to finish 3pts behind them.

:lol:

I remember back when UEFA announced that the 2016 tournaments was going to be increased to 24 teams, I thought it inconceivable that we wouldn't qualify.

However, as soon as the draw was made it became clear that given our opponents, there was every chance we might not qualify. Not that we couldn't qualify, just that there was every chance we might not. Anyone who thought otherwise was either deluded or completely ignorant to the stature of Germany, Poland and Ireland in a footballing context. .

Looking across the draw at the time, there were many other groups I'd have preferred us to be drawn in, but once again we got a stinker.

Glad he's staying too. Definite improvement when he first started (best we've played in years imho), but he needs a plan B. The main thing for me is his loyalty. He has been pretty clear he absolutely loves the job, it suits his lifestyle now, so there's no fear he will jump ship.

I also agree with Kumnio, that Strachan is not the messiah. But there is no one else atm worth mentioning that will take over and do a better job.

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

Glad he's staying too. Definite improvement when he first started (best we've played in years imho), but he needs a plan B. The main thing for me is his loyalty. He has been pretty clear he absolutely loves the job, it suits his lifestyle now, so there's no fear he will jump ship.

I also agree with Kumnio, that Strachan is not the messiah. But there is no one else atm worth mentioning that will take over and do a better job.

Fk off wi yer plan fkin B pash!!!! Lol

If we'd won away in Spain under Leveing we'd have got a play-off. Burley had the same about beating Holland IIRC.

Levein hardly had any call offs and we got the same crap about great squad morale under him as you're spouting now. I can assure you that 12000 fans were not!! It was the same at the Poland game, i was storming up the stiars to leave fuming at our shitey defending and loads of fecking idiots are clapping. Some times you get the team you deserve, those idiots deserve a shite team.

Poland game there was virtually nobody clapping near me.