Gordon Strachan Signs A New 4 Year Deal - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gordon Strachan Signs A New 4 Year Deal

Debian

Have been told this morning that terms were agreed last night on wee Gordy staying on for another 4 years.

There is a clause in it that this will be reviewed if the Play-Off's are not met for WC Qualifying.

To be announced later today, or first thing tomorrow morning.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all a bit deja vu, is it no? I wonder if all the folk who were desperate to get rid of Levien will be as desperate to get rid of Strachan? Their records are pretty much identical.

But, but, but we play a little bit better though...

There's no prizes for artistic impression in this game I'm afraid

It's all a bit deja vu, is it no? I wonder if all the folk who were desperate to get rid of Levien will be as desperate to get rid of Strachan? Their records are pretty much identical.

It is all about putting records into perspective though. I mean if you want to go purely on results stats then statistically both Leven and Strachan are better than Jock Stein.

Let us just remember the dross we witnessed under Leven and the embarrassment of no strikers in Prague, a late late winner at home to the might Liechtenstein, thrashing against Wales and sterile 0-0 draw at home to Bosnia.

Strachan may, like Levein, may not have qualified us for anything but that is where the similarities end.

But, but, but we play a little bit better though...

There's no prizes for artistic impression in this game I'm afraid

Wrong. You get bums on seats if you entertain.

That's the only prize the SFA will ever care about, cash!

Anyway, who'd take the job that could do better?

It is all about putting records into perspective though. I mean if you want to go purely on results stats then statistically both Leven and Strachan are better than Jock Stein.

Let us just remember the dross we witnessed under Leven and the embarrassment of no strikers in Prague, a late late winner at home to the might Liechtenstein, thrashing against Wales and sterile 0-0 draw at home to Bosnia.

Strachan may, like Levein, may not have qualified us for anything but that is where the similarities end.

Awa and no haver pish min. Stein took us to 2 World Cups in an era when only 24 teams qualified. He did have a lot better players at his disposal though.

Levein and Strachan's teams both lost 2-1 to Wales. The main difference was one game was away and one was at home.

Under Levein?

We've never played Bosnia under Levein and never got "thrashed" by Wales either. We got beat 2-1 by two late goals.

There's plenty to dig Levein up about without making stuff up :ok:

Under Levein?

We've never played Bosnia under Levein and never got "thrashed" by Wales either. We got beat 2-1 by two late goals.

I think he might be trying to blame Levien for the humiliating 3-0 defeat in Burley's last game, which is probably taking Levein hating to a whole new level? :lol:

I am not trying to defend Levien here by the way, in case anybody gets the wrong impression.

Under Levein?

:lol: I didn't spot that one. Bosnia? Serbia? Same difference. I think he might have over indulged in Portugal? Or maybe he just always havers pish?

Nobody can seriously think that our football has not drastically improved under Strachan. Under Burley and Levein we took some right batterings and played with no heart, no togetherness and no shape. We were losing 3-0 in Sweden, 4-0 in Norway, 3-1 in Wales, 5-1 in the USA not even to mention the game in Prague. Even playing the minnows in our groups like Liechtenstein was a struggle. Neither gave us a decent win against a big side or a decent victory away from home.

Strachan may have lost games but they have been to much better teams and been close games where we have played better and scored goals. Georgia has been the exception.

Edited by Jagtag

Happy Strachan is staying. Hopefully he'll consider replacing McCall and McGhee with some competent coaches that can add something different.

gary mcallister must be a stick on if they go with him being let go at liverpool, hope he doesn't do any penalty coaching....

Okay it was Serbia - same dire crap though 0-0 at home in first game of campaign.

Fair enough, we weren't thrashed by Wales either.

As I said I'm not defending Levein, he was a desperately poor manager for Scotland. I was glad to see the back of him and glad to see Strachan appointed.

The performances under Strachan have been much improved but ultimately we have ended up in the same position. I'm not really sure who else could come in and do any better, so from that point of view I don't see any issue with giving Strachan another 4 years.

What I would like to see is a concerted effort to build a team during the WC Qualifying campaign that will give them the perfect opportunity to qualify for Euro 2020. I honestly can't see how we can qualify for the WC in 2018 if we failed to get out of the group we just had, the next group is equally as tough with less places for qualification.

Nobody can seriously think that our football has not drastically improved under Strachan. Under Burley and Levein we took some right batterings and played with no heart, no togetherness and no shape. We were losing 3-0 in Sweden, 4-0 in Norway, 3-1 in Wales, 5-1 in the USA not even to mention the game in Prague. Even playing the minnows in our groups like Liechtenstein was a struggle. Neither gave us a decent win against a big side or a decent victory away from home.

Strachan may have lost games but they have been to much better teams and been close games where we have played better and scored goals. Georgia has been the exception.

We did struggle to break Liechtenstein down, but we also struggled to break Georgia down. Both are pot 5 teams. Of the other results you mention, 3 were friendlies, one we played with 10 men for an hour, and in Prague we played for a draw (much like in Ireland). Burley, Levein and Strachan have all made mistakes - and didn't appear to learn from them during their tenure.

Unless we make drastic changes at various levels throughout Scottish football we're not going to qualify regularly or any time soon. Our league football is never going to compete with the likes of Spain, Germany and England, so our focus has to be youth development (like Iceland). When are we going to give those in the U-21s a proper chance in the senior squad?

I wasn't fussed whether Strachan stayed or not - continuity is the only advantage of him staying, but that only works if he changes his approach slightly. Unfortunately I think we'll be having these same conversations in 2 years time after we finished 3rd or 4th. Home attendances will have dropped again due to performances on the pitch and ticket prices, our team will be weaker etc etc.

Debian, on 15 Oct 2015 - 09:43 AM, said:

Have been told this morning that terms were agreed last night on wee Gordy staying on for another 4 years.

There is a clause in it that this will be reviewed if the Play-Off's are not met for WC Qualifying.

To be announced later today, or first thing tomorrow morning.

Is this as shite as your Scott Allan scoop?