How Many Years? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How Many Years?

McExpat

You could argue that were essentially like Drew Jarvie and Kenny McDowell fighting over an afro comb here but

I honestly have no idea how many Scotland fans travelled to these tournaments, but given that prior to 1992 absolutely zero Scotland fans travelled to a Euro finals, Im not sure how that devalues the standing of the tournament as a whole. Is it maybe not just the case that we showed less interest until we actually qualified? That would seem to make more sense. Doesnt mean the tournament had any less prominence before we qualified.

Euro 88 was massive. Both in a football and media sense. Ireland and England qualifying, England getting booted out in the group stage, the birth of that great Dutch team, Van Bastens goal etc etc.

84 the same with the great French team. It definitely had less prominence in the UK because nobody qualified, but that doesnt mean it was the same across Europe.

I expect your 1980 vs 1982 Panini sticker album comment is valid, but prior to 1980 I was only really aware of the 1978 sticker album, would we have been interested if we hadnt qualified? I doubt it.

Nice one

I'll put the comb down then

My views are likely a bit tarnished as lived in London during Euro 96...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we were in a 4 year cycle concentrating on the World Cup up to 1992 and 1996 when we got lucky groups. If you think of the great Scotland teams who never qualified for Euros, maybe the answer is to sacrifice the euros in order to build a team to qualify for world cups?

I think we were in a 4 year cycle concentrating on the World Cup up to 1992 and 1996 when we got lucky groups. If you think of the great Scotland teams who never qualified for Euros, maybe the answer is to sacrifice the euros in order to build a team to qualify for world cups?

Obviously that 4 year cycle was adjusted to suit euro 92 and 96 ; as we fell well short for WC 94

It'll be really interesting to see how we are impacted by the new Nations League that'll come into place after the 2018 World Cup.

If it was drawn now we'd be in a 'league' with: Norway, Slovenia, Iceland, Wales, Israel, Scotland, Albania, Montenegro, Northern Ireland, Serbia.

So a mini group with 2 or 3 of those teams. We could take 6 points of any of those teams home and away (though, sadly, we wouldn't) so that'd perhaps give us a better chance of topping the mini group.

Extrapolating that, and removing the current teams that have qualified through the regular means, then ranking the 4 best teams from this last qualifying to imagine they would be the 4 teams to get into our Nations League play-offs, that'd leave us in a play-off situation with Norway, Slovenia, and Israel to qualify for Euro 2020. Which would work out Norway Vs Israel, and Slovenia Vs Scotland. One off game, then winners play another one-off play-off match.

Convoluted, but in theory qualifying for the 2020 Euro's could be as 'easy' as 6 matches Vs 'pot three' opposition.

Not a completely impossible challenge. That's on top of trying to finish top 2 in whatever regular qualifying group we get drawn into for it as well.

It'll be really interesting to see how we are impacted by the new Nations League that'll come into place after the 2018 World Cup.

If it was drawn now we'd be in a 'league' with: Norway, Slovenia, Iceland, Wales, Israel, Scotland, Albania, Montenegro, Northern Ireland, Serbia.

So a mini group with 2 or 3 of those teams. We could take 6 points of any of those teams home and away (though, sadly, we wouldn't) so that'd perhaps give us a better chance of topping the mini group.

Extrapolating that, and removing the current teams that have qualified through the regular means, then ranking the 4 best teams from this last qualifying to imagine they would be the 4 teams to get into our Nations League play-offs, that'd leave us in a play-off situation with Norway, Slovenia, and Israel to qualify for Euro 2020. Which would work out Norway Vs Israel, and Slovenia Vs Scotland. One off game, then winners play another one-off play-off match.

Convoluted, but in theory qualifying for the 2020 Euro's could be as 'easy' as 6 matches Vs 'pot three' opposition.

Not a completely impossible challenge. That's on top of trying to finish top 2 in whatever regular qualifying group we get drawn into for it as well.

I've had a wee look at this myself and follow it up until it says the winners of each group make up the play offs. You would think most of the A section would be already qualified and some of the B section would have already qualified so would that mean the remaining teams in the section go into the play offs instead or would it be the next best ranked team within the mini group?

I then can't figure out how the seedlings work in the draw for the 16 teams left in the play offs. You any ideas?

Edited by Ak91